Got a major problem.....

87lc2/wo2

I've been trying to post this on Paradise Island Cruiser's forum, but I forgot my password. The problem I got encountered goes like this...Yesterday, I installed an "air-raid" throttle body spacer for my 1993 Chevrolet Z71 with an otherwise stock (LO5) 5.7L V-8 engine. A 1/2 inch diameter "flat" washer fell into the intake manifold while trying to put the TBI unit back onto the intake manifold. Thinking nothing would happen, I bolted everything up, I started the engine, and now it makes a ticking sound "more like a washer being bounced around. I immediately shut it off, pulled all the plugs, and #8 plug had a bent ground and was against the electrode. I tried putting a flexible magnetic tool into the combustion chamber, but nothing came out. I think Ill have to pull the cylinder head off. This I never done before, Hopefully Mr. Villacorte of RC Automotive can remove it.:eek:

Hey Dale... I see you finally got logged on...

I take it it was one of the thin washers for the TB mounting?

Thats a low compression 350 so valve to piston interference should be nil.

it is best to remove intake and head and inspect... assure you didnt crack a piston... (or worse)

problem?

Try pressurizing through the plug hole with compressed air. It has worked for me on many occassions if the washer is small enough to pass through the plug hole. Good luck!!!!

oops

Also make sure both valves are closed before pressurizing. (Back off rockers all the way)

hey Rob,

Yep, it was one of those flat little washers that I inadvertently tossed into the intake. low and behold, the number 8 piston had a few nicks or should I say "scrape marks" from the foreign object. No damage what so ever, kinda did me a favor to clean off the carbon particles off the piston head and reliefs;) (chevy motors are tough!) . I don't know the condition of the head because Mr.Villacorte took the cylinder head with him. I hope all is well, I'll keep you updated.