Got a carb turbo torn apart and

Yeah the color chip kinda lied and it turned out more green then I thought it was going to. Not saying I dont like it, but if I would have known I would have tried to split a bit of black into it and tone it down a bit.

Put in the windows, aligned the doors, put the back lights and bumper cover together today.
picture-1128.jpg

Looking great:biggrin: I was going to go with black cherry or black gold, but ended up with metallic black... I plan to repaint mine another color when I get this motor done:eek:

Looking great:biggrin: I was going to go with black cherry or black gold, but ended up with metallic black... I plan to repaint mine another color when I get this motor done:eek:

i thought, you were just going to spray pearl over the paint you had jase?

The marathon assembly is almost done. Its running now and actually moves. Need to get some tabs on it and I can drive it. The panel gap on the fenders is horrible and cant get anything to line up. Panel alignment is a PITA. Messed around today getting wiring cleaned up. My electric fans work now, I had to fix my blinkers and found out my bulb sockets are junk and need work. Battery is shot, altenator lost its magnetic field so it didnt charge, ect. But it sorta is there, timing is close. Just need a hobbs switch ordered, burn the 87 out of the tank, throw is some 91 and see where I am.

picture-1131-1.jpg

picture-1133-1.jpg

picture-1136-1.jpg

picture-1135-1.jpg

Nice, looks great... the turbo hood and spoiler look sweet:biggrin: I hear ya on the panel alignment, its a royal pain:mad:

Well I got the car out for the first time today since last year. Got some wiring done on it and it runs good. Have to look into getting a wideband before too long.

My impressions are that its faster than last year, but it still won't spool until I get up there in the RPM's. Unless I brake boost it it doesnt spool quick. Once it hits 4 PSI it boosts to 9 PSI instantly but getting from 0PSI to 4 takes a while. I think it all lies in the rear gear ratio. Trans is a little mushy on the shifts too. Shifts SLOW too. I can feel the trans shift out of 1, sit for a while, and shift into 2. So any tire destruction is out of the question. Just not snappy.

Needs a rear end. :rolleyes:

I think a shift kit and a posi 3.42 would make a big difference.

that's cool man! I just took mine out for the first time last week also. Damn exhaust leaks everywhere. My fault for trying to get away without using gaskets:redface: The new turbo I got pulls way harder than the stock one. Can't wait for when I get to crank everything up...next year;)

It's just about cruizing time, got to love that and today is the first day of summer.

Well I got the car out for the first time today since last year. Got some wiring done on it and it runs good. Have to look into getting a wideband before too long.

My impressions are that its faster than last year, but it still won't spool until I get up there in the RPM's. Unless I brake boost it it doesnt spool quick. Once it hits 4 PSI it boosts to 9 PSI instantly but getting from 0PSI to 4 takes a while. I think it all lies in the rear gear ratio. Trans is a little mushy on the shifts too. Shifts SLOW too. I can feel the trans shift out of 1, sit for a while, and shift into 2. So any tire destruction is out of the question. Just not snappy.

Needs a rear end. :rolleyes:

I think a shift kit and a posi 3.42 would make a big difference.

i remember the stock turbo would take for ever to spool. with the 86/87 side it spools way faster.

Yeah the car will be sanded and buffed out. I wanted to get this on the road and need to do some touchups so im going to wait a bit.

And I picked up a set of 84/85 manifolds that need a bit of welding cheap so I am thinking of sticking them on after they get fixed and seeing how they work.

picture-1126-1.jpg

Car might get a set of modded 86/87's this winter.

Yeah the car will be sanded and buffed out. I wanted to get this on the road and need to do some touchups so im going to wait a bit.

And I picked up a set of 84/85 manifolds that need a bit of welding cheap so I am thinking of sticking them on after they get fixed and seeing how they work.

picture-1126-1.jpg

Car might get a set of modded 86/87's this winter.

the HA headers work great. i have a set on my car.

So I got my dumb mistake fixed on the trans all patched up and not leaking so I finally took it out for a real test. With a speedo this time.

I found out I was getting detonation all over even with 91 and 8 PSI. :confused: That wasnt like that last year. I dont know if the cam made a difference, or what. But it kept crackling over 7PSI so I drove back home and stuck in my 455 secondary rod hanger which is quite a bit richer. Took it out and it was better, but still detonates at the 1-2 shift. Trans will shift good from 2-3 WOT but the 1-2 WOT shift is SLOW and it sits out of gear so long the motor revs up a bit and I hear crackling and then shifts and it goes away. Im not sure if it is detonation as I have no guage, but it sounds bad so I let off. Ill pump some alky through it and see what it does.

Is 91 with 8PSI and 74 degree temp a detonation risk or what? Id stick some 93 in there and see if it goes away but wait, we dont have 93 here. Pffft..

Would be better if the trans would be a bit smarter and actually shift into second instead of hanging in first for an hour before it decides to shift.

Adjust the timing down some first and then the modulator to shift a little harder. Should help some, but you need a knock guage of some sort.

With the ignition timing in the right spot, even with 91octane pump gas, the drawthru should be knock free 'till your seeing12 or around 12psi boost. I know your Dizzy has a vac advance. But if it's running a 7 pin HEI module without the ecm/esc commanding it, you will have no control over the spark lead. I was detonating the hell out of my drawthru and replaced many head gaskets before I learned that. It's best to have the Ecm/Esc control the spark lead when using the 7 pin HEI module no way around it. If no Ecm/Esc is being used to control Ignition timing, the thing to do is swap out the 7 pin HEI module for a 4 pin version that does not require a ECM/ESC to control the spark lead.

How do I know the difference between a 7pin and 4pin? I do not have any ECM plugs on mine. Its just a standard NA pre computer control distributor from what I know.

The wierd thing is no matter where I had my BTM retard set to it would detonate. So there is a small chance it isnt hooked up I dont know. Ive gotta check.

And Id build a knock guage if I knew what parts I need. I know I need a senor, guage and ECM module but where do I get the module? And will it even work with that stuff or is there other stuff? Im not aware of a Non ECM car having any knock guage.