Got a carb turbo torn apart and

Didn't he even put a 3k stall in and it still wasn't any better than the stock turbo?

You're right Jesse. He's been thinking about switching it back to stock so the car will drive better. I can't speak for Rich but that's why I decided on using the 86-87 hot side.

I know the 80 hot side is stupid large, and a 83 hot side is smaller, but how much smaller is it?

What about the 84/5 hot side?

I just dont want to mess with new up or down pipes.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the exhaust housing side is .63. It got downsized in 82 for quicker spool. Too bad Rich and Freddie won't get back on the boards and post. They always had some interesting threads back in the day.

Just like the hot air cars, the carb turbo cars got some crap downpipes. I can't believe someone here isn't making them and selling them. Uppipes too.

Here's a pic of all three exducers for you. The one still attached to the CHRA is the 86-87. This is the 81, 86, and the 301 exducer. If you had them in your hand then you would feel how much heavier the earlier ones are compared to the 86-87 exducer. Aj used the 84-85 exducer and found that it spooled the turbo much better so it's a viable option but you'll still need to change the up pipe and down pipe. Sorry about that.:redface:

Attachments

• exducers all.jpg
    exducers all.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 73
Here's a pic of all three exducers for you. The one still attached to the CHRA is the 86-87. This is the 81, 86, and the 301 exducer. If you had them in your hand then you would feel how much heavier the earlier ones are compared to the 86-87 exducer. Aj used the 84-85 exducer and found that it spooled the turbo much better so it's a viable option but you'll still need to change the up pipe and down pipe. Sorry about that.:redface:

so, what your saying is if a person with a turbo trans am 301 put our stock exhaust housing on, it would be a upgrade?:confused:

so, what your saying is if a person with a turbo trans am 301 put our stock exhaust housing on, it would be a upgrade?:confused:

You're thinking backwards Matt. Going with a heavier wheel will make the turbo really laggy. Keeping the same Ar and reducing the size of the exducer as well as increasing the size of the inducer will help spool. Doing it backwards will make the turbo lag worse and reduce the boost.

Yeah, if I have to build new DP's Id just take a Weiand and build a plate for it and then do a draw through with a TA 44 or somthing.

Im just going to go with the 83 hot side, 87 cold side and see what happens. Hopefully it wont be that bad.

If I wasnt taking the whole car apart this winter I might build some DP's as I have the jig, have a guy to weld it and know how to build it. But getting the cam in, painting the car and cleaning up my front end is more important.

Pulled the front clip, and heads off the car today. I found what was causing my lifter tick. Lifter, nope. Bent pushrod. :rolleyes: It was bent so that everytime the valve opened the pushrod hit the hole that goes through the head and made a noise. It was on the number 3 intake. valve opens fine, lifter is fine, cam lobe is 100%. Just a bent pushrod.

#1 cylinder intake lobe is not flat, but im 100% sure that its wore down. Lifter looked poor, had quite a bit of damage too it.

Other findings, the intake ports on the stock 80 intake are pitiful. Smaller than the head intake ports by quite a bit. The upper parts of the cylinders also have a 1/16" layer of carbon around the lip. Probably all that 3 gallons of oil I pumped through the motor before I changed turbos. The crosshatch pattern is still in the cylinders, just has a layer of carbon around the upper portion of the cylinder where the piston doesnt reach. Any good way to remove that without scrating the cylinders? Pistons are nice, didnt detonate them any yet. :cool: Just have a thin coating of carbon.

Tomorrow im getting my aluminum core support welded up in a few cracked spots, cleaning my front frame rails and painting them, and routing some steel transcooler lines. Was just running fuel line for temporary use, but as I look back, they have been on for a year and a half! :eek: Temporary turns permanent!

Just trying to get everything right.

Anybody have 1 stock 80 pushrod? :cool:

go ahead and pull the engine all the way down. The hone the cylinders out. That is the most effective way to do it and the rings should be ok still.

Be careful on that step stool you have in your garage-they're one of the most dangerous products ever made:eek:;)

THe easiest way to get rid of carbon-alky injection and a heavy foot:biggrin: My intake is clean as a whistle now:cool:

I was using the stool to replace a lightbulb and it was just sitting there. I havnt died yet from falling off it so thats good. :smile:

Thats good to know that alky will clean it out. I will just put it back together with the carbon still in then just run some alky through it.

What do you run for alky? I thought you mentioned somewhere just some window washer fluid that goes to -20 or something.

Today I cleaned off my frame rails and painted em up nice. Paint wont stay on long probably because it leaks so bad out of the pan, but it looks nice for now. Also dropped my aluminum core support off at the local welding shop to get it TIG welded up in the few spots its broke. Brought my heads to the machine shop and got a 70 degree cut on the intake port to open them up. He said there isnt much to gain on the exhaust. Just got to round out the short side radius on both of the pockets. He seen a bunch of data that shows that rounding the valve guides off doesnt do much, no matter the motor. Im going to just do a bit of port matching to the intake gasket and just round off the pocket edges. Not going to do anything crazy as far as head porting, looking at the intake it just wont gain me anything. There is so much CFM in the heads and so little in the intake doing an extreme port job on a stock intake wont gain me anything.

picture-1139.jpg

picture-1140.jpg

picture-1138.jpg

picture-1137.jpg

Today I cleaned off my frame rails and painted em up nice. Paint wont stay on long probably because it leaks so bad out of the pan, but it looks nice for now. Also dropped my aluminum core support off at the local welding shop to get it TIG welded up in the few spots its broke. Brought my heads to the machine shop and got a 70 degree cut on the intake port to open them up. He said there isnt much to gain on the exhaust. Just got to round out the short side radius on both of the pockets. He seen a bunch of data that shows that rounding the valve guides off doesnt do much, no matter the motor. Im going to just do a bit of port matching to the intake gasket and just round off the pocket edges. Not going to do anything crazy as far as head porting, looking at the intake it just wont gain me anything. There is so much CFM in the heads and so little in the intake doing an extreme port job on a stock intake wont gain me anything.

picture-1139.jpg

picture-1140.jpg

picture-1138.jpg

picture-1137.jpg

Do a full port on the heads, i think that itll move the exhaust more than they would stock. just IMO...

picture-1139.jpg

picture-1140.jpg

picture-1138.jpg

picture-1137.jpg

Do a full port on the heads, i think that itll move the exhaust more than they would stock. just IMO... ive got a set of heads that Im waiting to get ported myself.

Im not gonna lie, I envy all of you guys with shop space, if I had more room my car would be damn near restored by now... :(