Goodbye to Pontiac

In 64 and 65 the GTO was the most sought after cars you could buy. It also was a very quick stock street car. The other makes played catch up once Pontiac came out with the GTO and yes by 1968 they were faster cars from the factory. In 64 and 65 the GTO was at the top, for a Factory car.
I owned 65 in 1965 and with single carb I remember outrunning friends in their 63.5 427 sideoiler Galaxy and the 390 Fairlane. Remember this was a family car not a 2 seater like the vette and cobra. I also had a 65 FI vette and a 62 260cube Cobra and they were no quicker then the early GTO. I saw 427 63 z11 cars and stage Mopars with aluminum front ends that may have been a little quicker in the early 60s but they were special order cars. People like Royal Pontiac were showing everyone how to do a "super tune" on the Goat and those cars were in the mid 12s
Pontiac started the whole Muscle car race so give them credit.

Do you remember the "swiss cheese" cars, aka:factory lightweight cats????

Contrary to popular belief some of those special order cars were available to the public. A kid in my town bought a 63 Z11 chev. I remember the car quite well as he sucked a valve on more then one occassion and GM fixed it no questions asked. At the time I owned a tri power 61 348 tri-power car and wondered why the valve covers looked so different to mine. I also saw 1 stage Plymouth with the aluminum front end on the street. The car was one of the most wicked sounding cars I had heard on the street and the front of the car shook while it idled.
I lived in and around towns with 2,000 to 20,000 people so I imagine some of the big cities had lots of those cars.

As for Buick in the 60s they were an also ran. the Buick line didn't get much attention at all and the 442 was an OK car but not in the same league as the GTO. The later GS models were very quick but still were an afterthought. The only time you realised they were quick is when you read about it in the magazines. The kids weren't buying them IMO. I dont remember seeing a Buick GS at the street races and we raced 4 to 5 days a week on the street.
GTO was not in the same league with the hurst olds!

I don't know what " not in the same league" implies but the Hurst Olds was only for 2 years in the 60's and made about 1500 cars. The next one was 72? I am not picking on Olds as I liked all the cars back then but other then Linda Vaughn riding in one they never got much recognition.
The GTO actually was Motor Trend car of the year in the mid 60's. Olds performance cars never made that list. The toronado made car of the year for Olds.
I think the Judge GTO stole the thunder from the Hurst Olds and "Here comes the Judge" was heard everywhere.

After reading the posting above by "Legacy GN", I had to share my Pontiac story. My very first car was a 1978 Grand Prix, I bought it in 1987 while in high school for $1800, it was fully loaded with power moonroof and power everything, sadly I wrecked it 6 months later. My 3rd car was a 1990 Bonneville SSE, my parents bought it as a college graduation gift for me in 1993 for $11,500. It was white and had power everything. I totally loved that car, I remember it being so wide. It had a nice exhaust note to it. I sold it in 2000 with around 200,000 miles on it. In 7 years and 150,000 miles, I had to replace the fuel pump once, power antenna once, & the alternator 3-4 times, seemed like once a year, every winter. Otherwise it was a great car that I still miss so much, should not have sold it but like many others in the late 90's, I bought a SUV instead. Like many others, I will miss Pontiac.

I think they should do a redesign of the Solstice platform and rebadge it. How about a 2011 turbocharged Buick Reatta!!!!! Now that would be cool, and I would seriously consider buying one of those!!

That would be awesome!!! Turbo Reatta... i can only imagine:smile:

Sucks that pontiac is going, but at least my dad got his G8 GXP before they stop making them:biggrin:

:(

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

2005_0727Image0115.jpg

2005_0727Image0117.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

kirban 2 cents worth

So from your posts its safe to gather you would never be a sales person for Pontiac.....every car has had its loser models over its lifetime. It happens....just like every carline has had its moment in the sun.

Buick has had some weird wheels also early Regal GS models 1991-92 had like a square center...all these ugly wheels you point out give rise to the aftermarket companies...which in turn fuels the economy....

Not many Olds Cutlass songs or 442 songs come to mind that have been huge sellers compared to the GTO......might want to research that.....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

If nothing else we are keeping the thread going....personally I owe a lot to GTO's never had to work for anyone....by the way I likes Olds even had a mint 12,000 mile 442 awhile ago....bone stock hardtop 1986 or 1987 black and silver two tone....

This court has been called into session to pass judgment on a special new car from Pontiac. All rise for the judge!

Judge! The special great one from Pontiac, GTO!!
Hurst gear shifter, three speed or four
Pontiac Ram Air, 366 horse
Mag-type wheels, 60-inch spoiler, airfoil
The Judge will rule!!
Judge! The special great one from Pontiac, GTO!!
Pontiac Ram Air 400 cubes for action!!
Wide track, mag-type, Polyglas shoes for traction
The Judge will rule!!
Judge! The special great one from Pontiac, GTO, woo!!

Breakaway in a wide track from Pontiac, GTO
Breakaway in a wide track from Pontiac, GTO
Breakaway

great song but maybe if olds would have gotten jan and dean and paul revere and the raiders to make their commericials they would have been more popular but they werent about song and dance,...just making nicer cars. I mean there is no deny that oldsmobiles were nicer cars than pontiacs. widetrack?....not any wider than the other 3 a-bodies

in my merry oldsmobile? :) thats even before ur time dennis.

its not so much of a distain for pontiac but where was this sadness when olds went under? Olds was the Grandfather of them all!

i would have a 77-78 TA in my collection thou.. GTOs just dont get me going. I see way too many in the Pitttsburgh area and they just blend in with all the chevys and mustangs.

kirban 2 cents worth

Pittsburgh area is like my area rust abounds....as far as songs go they came about because of the popularity of the car....their was several others carol & cheryl did one, one of the most famous was the hurst contest recording....I happen to have the actual studio copy, dj copy and retail copy.

Your rite not many tears was shed when olds went under in part because its end was coming for sometime. Pontiac seemed to happen quickly when they had some neat models out in production. When Olds bit the dust I can't recall what the main car was Aurora? Pontiac had the new G8 and the Solestic...(spelling?)

It don't matter both now share a spot in the grave yard.

In the early 1970s I had a really neat Olds....a 1949 club coupe 76 model with a 371 olds V8 backed up by a 4-speed hydro trans all 12 volt system.....

I am guessing I got a few years on you......

To bring some peace....to the issue I will shed a tear for Oldsmobile and Pontiac.....
also REO trucks since he founded them also....

Not enough space to list all my past cars....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

they phased out the aurora first, then the intrigue and the alero/bravada/silhouette in 04. at the 100th celebration in 97 GM execs said "we will make sure olds is the first company to reach 200"

yes u may have a few..goin on 30 :D

i guess i'm a mopar/olds/buick guy.

Kirban 2 cents worth

Mr Cutlass.....ah to be 30 again I am twice your age plus....like Mopars also....had 4 different 67 GTXs last of the small body ones....variety is the key.....

enjoy your rides.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

end of story

Its a shame,3 people including myself drive pontiacs, actully i left mine in mass when i moved to PA, Just when they come out with a Cool/Fast car (G8 GXP) They Can It DAMN SHAME