Go ahead and laugh, but...

LOL, I did laugh when I saw that pic.....

The way I did it was to put a jack under the frame and lift the car until the wheel was off the ground (fully extending the spring), then smoosh it in there. Good luck, and thanks for the laugh (no hard feelings, its all in fun ;) )

This is a job for your buddy with the hands like Hams. :D

Must be squished real real flat like a pancake and slid in the coils and they will expand right back, the first few times before you want them too. :rolleyes:

Pain in the butt job without a lift.

I soaked mine down with soap and water, the spring not the bag. It helps out, or use like wd40 and just force it in. It took me a while too.

I feel your pain, they're a b&*$%.

You could pull the lower shock bolts and just let the rear end hang. That should give you a few more needed inches to make it a snap. Worked for me. Or you could post some more funny pictures.:) :D :p

Are these the air lift air bags? Took me 5min tops on each side.

I feel your pain!

Hello Mr. Bait,
Don't feel bad, mine looked even worse than that!
I removed my springs and strapped them to the bottom of my feet. I proceeded to bounce around on my driveway for about two hours. It was on a Sunday and my neighbors had just came home from church. I noticed they didn't get out of there minivan for the longest time, so i bounced over to them to see why they were all laughing. The four of them said I looked like the Coyote on the Road runner show. I didn't think it was funny but when they came over the next day and asked me to do that again, I told them to buy there own air bags.
Peachs
:confused:

Well, I was about to go to bed, but I'm laughing so hard now from this thread, that I don't think I can sleep!!!:D I'm sorry, but the pic is one worth framing, simply because we've all been there before, and have had to learn thereof...! Dude,,, I'm still laughing at the springs and minivan story too!

Anyway, someone mentioned dropping the rear end down and letting the springs come loose for insertion. I've done that before, and it works well. It's not as much work as it sounds like either. Also, someone mentioned compressing the bag more and putting the cap on it. Well, that works too, with a little effort and maybe a profanity or two...

Either way, get the car up in the air, with the load off the springs, and it will become easier.

Dang!!! I'm still laughing at the other comments and the pic!!!:D

Doesn't that spring looks a little tighter/narrower at the bottom than the stock spring. :confused:

It's actually a fairly easy job.

1. When you roll them up to squish out the air, you have to put the little cap back on the nipple so it can't take in more air.

2. Once 1 is accomplished, you've got it started right, just use something blunt to push it pu in the spring. I used the end of my "small" floor jack handle. The end with the rubber grip over the handle (not to damage the bag). Anything you can push on the bag with, without nicking or damaging it will work. Like a hammer handle (but they're not usually long enough).

Just got done putting a set in my 87. Bag insertion only took a few seconds on each side.

And no, I didn't have to disconnect the shocks.
But these are stock springs.

Your's look new, and a little thick material. If so, You may have to unhook the shock bottoms.

CAUTION: If you do unhook the shocks, have the jack under the axle so it doesn't fall out!!

ahh, good eyes guys...

Joe 1320 and b4black...you're correct, they are not stock springs...Belltech. I hope this doesn't present a problem. I'll give it another shot tonight and post the results.

Thanks for all the tips.

As long as we are having funny lets try this one.

Which way should the nipple face - up or down?:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure the pad goes on the bottom.:eek:

I'm pretty sure it's nipple on bottom, pad on top.

Originally posted by PEACHS:
I removed my springs and strapped them to the bottom of my feet. I proceeded to bounce around on my driveway for about two hours. It was on a Sunday and my neighbors had just came home from church. I noticed they didn't get out of there minivan for the longest time, so i bounced over to them to see why they were all laughing. The four of them said I looked like the Coyote on the Road runner show. I didn't think it was funny but when they came over the next day and asked me to do that again, I told them to buy there own air bags.

The people here at work are wondering what the hell is wrong with me, laughing as hard as I am. :D

Steve

Originally posted by Dan Thompson
As long as we are having funny lets try this one.

Which way should the nipple face - up or down?:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure the pad goes on the bottom.:eek:

Pad down; nipple down.

:D :D :D :D

All you need to do is squeeze all the air out. Deflate it some more. You still have air in that bag. Once all air is out it should take a few minutes to straighten it out.;)

Now that I've stopped laughing, here is what i do for the install:
Completely deflate the bag to a flat shape. That means you even have to push each end flat to the body of the bag. Cap the nipple to prevent air from re-entering the bag. Warm the bag in a bucket of hot water to make it more pliable. Remove from the water and apply liquid dishsoap and water to make it slick. (with the chassis lifted off the rear axel as high as possible) insert the airbag into the spring and work it into place with the nipple facing down. Release the cap on the nipple and message the bag into place. I've done this a few times.;)