Smoking the engine

erikelvis

Smoked the engine trying to find exhaust leaks. Found one pre turbo which wasn’t much of a concern so tightened the clamps. Moving ahead seemed to have a pretty good leak at he vacuum block. Don’t think it was from he gasket. Appeared to be coming from the pcv tube. Tubing is not that old. Wouldn’t think it would leak like this. Any ideas?

Tried to post video but but I guess that’s not an option.

Found one pre turbo which wasn’t much of a concern so tightened the clamps.
If it was between the MAF and the turbo that's unmetered air.
Also, look closely at the plenum just below the t/b. No bolts there. They leak.

Those 5 ports coming off the vacuum block have been known to leak as well, although I can't really tell if they are in your vid. Just something to check..

Thanks guys. I think he smaller tubes appear to be ok. The pcv tube I could move around and eliminate the slight hissing I was hearing. I guess I could try a zip tie on there but it’s super tight between that tube and the next.

Ok well put some zip ties on the pcv tubing at the vacuum block. No more smoke. Now it’s coming from the breather filter on the passenger valve cover. I’m guessing I have to plug that somehow?

If its coming out of the breather that means its getting past the piston rings. Depending on how bad its leaking it could be a sign of an internal issue. If its a very small leak may be nothing to worry about.

Just do no plug the valve cover breather, its doing its job of venting crank case gasses.

Drive the car for a while and check it again to see if the valve cover breather leak changes.

If its coming out of the breather that means its getting past the piston rings. Depending on how bad its leaking it could be a sign of an internal issue. If its a very small leak may be nothing to worry about.

Just do no plug the valve cover breather, its doing its job of venting crank case gasses.

Drive the car for a while and check it again to see if the valve cover breather leak changes.
Oof. I hope it’s not an internal issue. Didn’t plan on Messing with the engine much till much further down the road.

How much pressure were you applying when smoke testing the engine?

Rings are not air tight and the pressure has to go somewhere, it may be nothing to worry about at all. If you are suspecting there is something wrong a leak down and compression test will tell more. If it runs well and the Scanmaster numbers are in line and not using oil it probably nothing to worry about.

How much pressure were you applying when smoke testing the engine?

Rings are not air tight and the pressure has to go somewhere, it may be nothing to worry about at all. If you are suspecting there is something wrong a leak down and compression test will tell more. If it runs well and the Scanmaster numbers are in line and not using oil it probably nothing to worry about.
The smoke machine says 8-12 psi. I’d have to go over the scanmaster numbers again but I know BLM was at 142 at idle. I just replaced the old pcv tube up to the hard line as there was fuel tubing on there and it was compressing under vacuum when hot. The short hose to the vacuum block seemed loose too. I was in process of putting the intake back on to see if it did anything but cracked the stock mass air so now just need to get the vapor canister relocated so I can fit the ls1 mass air and filter in there.