GN1 SE Headers (Disappointing)

FWIW, I plan on "fixing" a set of the cheap Chinese ATR knockoff headers with new Burns V-bands, they seem to fit fine just leak like hell at the crappy joints, will post up when complete, not a cheap fix, but worth it to me.

ya, but OEM is stainless to cast iron. Im just talking about aluminum to mild steel (TA race header flange). DO you think I can mate those surfaces up and be trouble free?

You do NOT want to run a stainless header flange on headers ... you want to run a Mild Steel flange ... stainless on the pipes ( 321 if possible)

So your disagreeing with what Bison runs?

YES ! I am .. there are significant reasons to using mild on turbo header flanges ... if you look at most high end stainless header flanges , I bet almost all use ms flanges.

I advise highly to use ms on the turbo header flanges and to stay away from stainless on the header flanges...
the only benefit to using stainless would be to preserve the appearance .. so 1 positive for 10 negatives ... trust me on this one when its a turbo header and you want to keep the headers for a long time ... use ms on the flanges

YES ! I am .. there are significant reasons to using mild on turbo header flanges ... if you look at most high end stainless header flanges , I bet almost all use ms flanges.

I advise highly to use ms on the turbo header flanges and to stay away from stainless on the header flanges...
the only benefit to using stainless would be to preserve the appearance .. so 1 positive for 10 negatives ... trust me on this one when its a turbo header and you want to keep the headers for a long time ... use ms on the flanges
What will happen if the flanges atre stainless?

What will happen if the flanges atre stainless?

Nothing catastrophic .. just a degradation in performance.. time/money spent chasing fixes

The point is you don't gain anything with stainless .. but risk losing

ms is just a better solution and the reason its used

Nothing catastrophic .. just a degradation in performance.. time/money spent chasing fixes

The point is you don't gain anything with stainless .. but risk losing

ms is just a better solution and the reason its used
So you're saying the Stainless will warp, and lose its seal?

So you're saying the Stainless will warp, and lose its seal?

I'm saying that's only the small part of the issue .. after you weld the flange and it warps.. typically that is fixed by machining for a true fit .. so not that much of an issue.

bigger benefits from ms is distortion control , stress reduction, and thermal expansion characteristics ... its just a better solution all around with proven results

Never had a blow out or headers leak with copper gaskets running for 10 yrs ! Remflex gaskets for high boost runs are a waste , running them like bison said or copper , nothing better than ta race headers I found mine on board coated for $550. Got lucky and I run a gn1 3.5 DP no problems fit perfect 3 yrs ago .

Never had a blow out or headers leak with copper gaskets running for 10 yrs ! Remflex gaskets for high boost runs are a waste , running them like bison said or copper , nothing better than ta race headers I found mine on board coated for $550. Got lucky and I run a gn1 3.5 DP no problems fit perfect 3 yrs ago .

I never run gaskets either.. never have.. if you have a true surface with a good quality flange and design of the header .. a bit of copper sealant is all you need.. the problems usually stem from poorly seating flanges, OVER applying the copper sealant or terrible port mismatching

I never run gaskets either.. never have.. if you have a true surface with a good quality flange and design of the header .. a bit of copper sealant is all you need.. the problems usually stem from poorly seating flanges, OVER applying the copper sealant or terrible port mismatching
Exactly , x2

Where does this internet stuff come from ? You think dissimilar metals welds react better to heat cycling ???
Yes 321 is the proper grade, NEVER used MS and CRES together in all of my 35 years of Aerospace fabrication and welding.

I have wondered about adequate heat transfer and subsequent warpage with non metallic header gasket.

Where does this internet stuff come from ? You think dissimilar metals welds react better to heat cycling ???
Yes 321 is the proper grade, NEVER used MS and CRES together in all of my 35 years of Aerospace fabrication and welding.

Depends what filler rod you use.. my point is MS is better suited as a flange material on a turbo header application.. this is nothing new and has been proven as to WHY over and over .. in the aerospace industry you may have different observations and criteria as well as expectations...

Proof is in the pudding .. hence why high end headers that use 321 on the primary use ms as flange material..

So your saying in your 35 years of turbo header fabrication that using 321 on the primary and 304 on the flange that you haven't had any issues .. because if you are Im calling BS

Mild steel flanges. Less than 1 year of run time:
9b6e7ba98710b920c445b453cdb416cf.jpg

0728edd7c9493798a630108fe00177d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mild steel flanges. Less than 1 year of run time:
9b6e7ba98710b920c445b453cdb416cf.jpg

0728edd7c9493798a630108fe00177d8.jpg

Geez .. I dont think ive seen a cheaper chinese flange .. Why bother even building a header if using something like that.. Thats not a flange thats a joke

Geez .. I dont think ive seen a cheaper chinese flange .. Why bother even building a header if using something like that.. Thats not a flange thats a joke
I'd be ruffling feathers all over the internet if I posted the full picture. Many people have paid $1000+ for the same headers with the same flanges.

Are you saying bison that the primaries are stainless and the flanges are mild steel on the gn1 se headers ? Thanks

I'd be ruffling feathers all over the internet if I posted the full picture. Many people have paid $1000+ for the same headers with the same flanges.

Better question is why were they even bolted on?