GN1 downpipe- what do you guys think?

Jay, Have you tried the new Racegates?

No.. Ive used the old one.. Turbonetics stuff is okay and works good for what it is but IMO there is a lot better stuff out there. The Tial stuff is top notch.. the old Richard Lee gates were great pieces and there are some new "race only" wastegates that are even better.

The hot ticket for race cars is something completely different but I dont want to give that secret away yet ;)

Finished the DP install and it went pretty smooth. A lot easier the the valve covers I replaced yesterday...:eek:

Anyway I ordered the test pipe and although it didn't fit out of the box.I was able to make 4 1/2'' slits to flange to end of it just enough to get it on the DP. Now for my question. It’s a noob question, but that’s only because I’m a noob ;-)

I need to understand where the vacuum hose coming off the boost controller goes and what parts from the stock wastegate system are no longer needed and I can get rid of. Do I simply connect the hose to the boost solenoid where the stock system is plugged in now and get rid of the y connector? Or does it go somewhere else?

BTW...plenty of clearance all around on my 138k GN. I chose to trim a little of the wheel well cover just to be safe.

Attachments

• dp install03.jpg
    dp install03.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 234
  • dp install04.jpg
    dp install04.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 217
More Pics showing the cuts I made to get the test pipe over the DP.

Attachments

• dp install01.jpg
    dp install01.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 225
  • dp install02.jpg
    dp install02.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 208
I also just installed a GN1 downpipe and cat-back. I called Archie with a question and he got out of line at the post office to talk to me right there. I have to ask, did anyone else have to change there factory hanger that held the cat converter? Mine is a little small, but may have been changed by the shop that did the crappy system I just took off. If you did, where did you get your new hanger, and do you have a part number. I am going to the parts store tomorrow and just try to match up one with the gasket that should fit. All in all THUMBS UP TO ARCHIE!

Coach, the hanger needs to be modified because the mouth is much larger and open than the stock style. Just take a grinder to it and widen it out. I just did mine today. I through some silver high temp paint on it and it looks great! You pretty much just need to take it back to the mounting holes. I left about a quarter inch of metal around the holes. Worked pretty darn slick! Do you have any pics of your exhaust installed? My car wont sit on the ground for quite a while. I'm really wanting see what it looks like how the tail pipes stick out past the wheels. I love this exhaust sytem! Also cant wait to see how it sounds! -------Jeremy

Showing clearance & Dp to test pipe with a 3" clamp just to be sure (it's pretty hard in there though I probably didn't need it)

Attachments

• dp install06.jpg
    dp install06.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 241
  • dp install05.jpg
    dp install05.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 234
Ummm.. no

External wastegates are older technology and what the fast people USED to use. Then everyone got brainwashed into thinking the TH style pipes were "better."

External gates are just all around better than the stock style. Not to say that the stock style dont work but IMO the externals give better control. I was running Turbonetics Deltagates on my car back in the freaking 80s.

Jay:

I'm sorry if my post was in error, and I'm sorry I wasn't aware you used an external wastegate "back in the freaking 80s" like that was some sort of required knowledge. That's why I used the words "my understanding" before the rest of my post--because I know I make mistakes and my word isn't the gospel when it comes to the history of wastegate types. It's simply just what I said--MY UNDERSTANDING based on things I've read. As a matter of fact, I was reiterating something I had read on an older thread of this message board. I don't know why you're jumping on me about it or if that was your intention, and I do apologize in advance if I was just reading into your wording incorrectly, but it rubbed me the wrong way. I'm here to both learn and help people, which I've done both, and if I do make a mistake hopefully somebody will step in and correct me without getting an attitude about it.

Finished the DP install and it went pretty smooth. A lot easier the the valve covers I replaced yesterday...:eek:

Anyway I ordered the test pipe and although it didn't fit out of the box.I was able to make 4 1/2'' slits to flange to end of it just enough to get it on the DP. Now for my question. It’s a noob question, but that’s only because I’m a noob ;-)

I need to understand where the vacuum hose coming off the boost controller goes and what parts from the stock wastegate system are no longer needed and I can get rid of. Do I simply connect the hose to the boost solenoid where the stock system is plugged in now and get rid of the y connector? Or does it go somewhere else?

BTW...plenty of clearance all around on my 138k GN. I chose to trim a little of the wheel well cover just to be safe.

heres a picture of the vacuum lines hooked up, hope it helps

Attachments

• motor7.jpg
    motor7.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 234
heres a picture of the vacuum lines hooked up, hope it helps

Just to add a bit more clarity since the picture doesn't really illustrate it, the line with the tee in it coming off the compressor housing goes to the inlet side of the boost controller (just a basic air pressure regulator). There's an arrow on the body of the boost controller to denote the direction of flow. Nothing gets connected to the stock wastegate solenoid.

Thanks. Both of you helped! Does it matter how long the vacuum tubing is?

I'd like to do a little more stealth install if I can.

Just to add a bit more clarity since the picture doesn't really illustrate it, the line with the tee in it coming off the compressor housing goes to the inlet side of the boost controller (just a basic air pressure regulator). There's an arrow on the body of the boost controller to denote the direction of flow. Nothing gets connected to the stock wastegate solenoid.

JST A 6 - leave the stock solenoid there if you disconnect it youll get a check engine light nothing plugs to it anymore. the arrow goes pointing the pass. fender.

VICTORY- its best to leave some slack on the hoses since the engine moves slightly under heavy acceleration.

Thanks. Both of you helped! Does it matter how long the vacuum tubing is?

I'd like to do a little more stealth install if I can.

Not really as long as you keep it reasonable. I ended up putting the boost controller on the driver's side down low behind the charcoal canister with the boost controller lines neatly zip tied to the A/C lines, but this may be a problem when it comes time for me to turn the A/C on due to the cold suction line possibly causing water vapor to condense in the boost controller lines, so I'm trying to track down some large split-loom conduit (the type that's on the rubber A/C hoses near the alternator) to cover the rest of the suction line so it's more isolated from the boost lines. I'm not sure this would definitely be an issue but I don't want to take the chance of getting water in the boost controller or wastegate diaphragm.

JST A 6 - leave the stock solenoid there if you disconnect it youll get a check engine light nothing plugs to it anymore.

I knew that. I was referring to the boost controller lines. I should have been more specific.:rolleyes: I am thinking of removing the solenoid from the valve cover and tying it up out of the way so I can put a regular valve cover bolt in to clean up appearances a bit though.

jst a 6, could you post up some a sound clip of the exhaust? I wanna hear what it sounds like before I purchase one in the future.

jst a 6, could you post up some a sound clip of the exhaust? I wanna hear what it sounds like before I purchase one in the future.

I'd be glad to try to get one for you tomorrow; it's 1:30 AM here so I'm about to turn in for the night. Everyone that's heard it says it sounds bada$$ though. I left a friend's house earlier and got on it; he called my cell just to tell me how great it sounded. Drones a bit when cruising but nothing the radio at a moderate volume level can't handle. 'Night folks...:D

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jKZZT9zptkU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jKZZT9zptkU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

since the video didnt work, you can check it out on youtube its up

Jay:

I'm sorry if my post was in error, and I'm sorry I wasn't aware you used an external wastegate "back in the freaking 80s" like that was some sort of required knowledge. That's why I used the words "my understanding" before the rest of my post--because I know I make mistakes and my word isn't the gospel when it comes to the history of wastegate types. It's simply just what I said--MY UNDERSTANDING based on things I've read. As a matter of fact, I was reiterating something I had read on an older thread of this message board. I don't know why you're jumping on me about it or if that was your intention, and I do apologize in advance if I was just reading into your wording incorrectly, but it rubbed me the wrong way. I'm here to both learn and help people, which I've done both, and if I do make a mistake hopefully somebody will step in and correct me without getting an attitude about it.

I am really tired of your smart azz remarks in this thread about this board and now an admin.... The rant you went on about the board blocking somebody was very uncalled for.... Maybe you should do a real good search on this board and you may see the reason why a "certain vendor" is not on this board.... We don't put up with using double identities etc.. to advertise!