GN Resurection

RuffGN

GN Brothers,
It has been quite a while since I have been on here. Due to marriage, kids, blah blah blah I have not had time for my baby. I have fended off the threats and complaints and held my manly ground to KEEP MY CAR. With that being said, my GN is in serious need of some TLC. I have a few quick questions to refresh my memory - Any suggestions on an upgraded battery rather than the small stocker? Also, I have gotten my hands on a stock set of 15"GN rims but don't
want to fit them with the stock 215's, recommendations on anything wider, better size? I replaced the fuel pump last year but the car sat again for a while so I wont know if that's seized again until I fire her up. Any other suggestions are more then welcome.... Thanks!!

Congrats. At least you still have her, the GN that is. I would think at an absolute minimum you would want to disconnect the ECM wire (orange wire near battery) and crank the car for a good 30-45 seconds. You obviously would need a good battery, I really like the Interstates or Optima Red Top. Others here have other recommendations. Read, search and then you decide. I don't know how long it sat but draining the gas and putting new gas would be a good idea. I don't see why your fuel pump would be adversely affected by letting it sit. My car has 255/60's on the rear and I really think that is a nice meaty, musclecar-looking tire. Don't plan on autocrossing with them though. They give it a slight rake. There is also a spring cleaning that you could search for that would help you out also. Good luck.

I've always liked the Optima batteries. Bought one from Costco last year for another car and it does the job too.

I would also do the spring cleaning since it's sat for a long time.

Peter

If you want a close sized tire to the 215/65 that is wider and won't throw your speedo off, look into a 235/60 tire.

Thank you GN Buddies... I not too long ago did wires, plugs etc. I really did not drive it much at all. I will get her fired up and check plugs and etc. My hopes are to get the stock wheels cleaned up and put those on. Then figure out if it needs a thorough spring cleaning refresh. Again, any othe suggestions are always welcome.

On the battery, If your looking to go cheaper than the optima, which is about as good as it gets, you could probably use a series 78 battery. Its the same as the factory series 75, just a little longer. Might measure one to see if it will fit in the tray. I still have the 75 series in mine with no issues. I just keep it on a battery tender.

The stock size battery is fine. Remember that the ONLY reason a car even has a battery is to get the engine running. After that it's 100% the alternator's job to run the electrical components, and recharge the battery. Since we aren't turning over a big block with 13:1 compression, a group 75 is adequate. A lot of race car guys go smaller than a 75 to save weight.