gn died on me

Years ago I found myself stuck two hours away from home. Car started missing 20 miles before it died. It was intermittent though. I slowed down to get off at the exit, car died and did not start. Turned out to be the coilpack/module. Pretty sure the module was bad, but I bought both new and put them both on. FWIW, I NEVER go on long trips in my Buick without a spare cp/module because of this.

Yes that is EXACTLY what my car did. At highway speeds it was fine, until it just flat out died but i think that was because the crank sensor went.

No phun intended but tearing the front of the motor apart for a no start condition? Why would you do that? :confused:

No phun intended but tearing the front of the motor apart for a no start condition? Why would you do that? :confused:

just curious to see what makes it tick :confused::p People learn over time ya just can't throw parts at a car to fix it :redface:

Years ago I found myself stuck two hours away from home. Car started missing 20 miles before it died. It was intermittent though. I slowed down to get off at the exit, car died and did not start. Turned out to be the coilpack/module. Pretty sure the module was bad, but I bought both new and put them both on. FWIW, I NEVER go on long trips in my Buick without a spare cp/module because of this.

I always carry a spare coil pack/ignition module and an 02 sensor with me.

O i thought the timing was off, jumped a tooth or something along those lines. Because i had changed the oil and found a tooth from the cams gear in it, the nylon pieces i mean. So i figured id check the timing / replace the timing set while i was at it. Car has probably 170k on it, so i replaced the water pump and changed out the front seal because it was leaking like a bitch. The car was giving me symtoms of being out of time, at least in my eyes. When i tried to start it, RIGHT before it would catch it would backfire up and out the intake.

Update, got the oil pan painted up nicely and put back on tonight. Everything is going back together smoothly now that i cleaned up the 20 years worth of oil leaking off. Now if autozone can just give me the right front seal i will be in business tommorow i hope.

Since you went that far, did you check the cam? Not to jinx you or anything but I bet money it has worn lobes. :eek:

You might as well do it right if you going to do it.

Might as well yank it if you do a cam, lifters,valve springs, etc. I would get the Caspers cam sensor cap if you dont already have one. Setting that gives some people a headache.

Since you went that far, did you check the cam? Not to jinx you or anything but I bet money it has worn lobes. :eek:

You might as well do it right if you going to do it.

X2 .. he wanted to "poke around" .. like I said ..way to easy to turn this into a huge $$$$ pit.

While you had the oil pan off did you swapo the rear main too?? Just curious. Might as well do it when you're down there. It will need to be replaced to help slow the oil leaks. Mind you, it won't stop leaking- the Buick that is. You could seal the whole car in RTV and it would still leak:mad:

I didn't see anyone suggest this butjudging by the grimy appearance of the block, and your apparent comfort with removing and replacing the timing chain (some aren't as gung ho), you may want to consider taking some time to just clean everything you can get your hands on. Remove plugs, clean the connections and make sure everything is secure.

If that sensor fell of and hit you in the face, you can probably rest assured that there may be a few other connections that are not as secure as they should be.

Don't be in too big a rush. These cars are a PITA and you will spend lots of time under the hood however, they are addictive;). Make sure you get all the basics lined out before you go crazy modding. Once the car is running well, then you can play. Otherwise, you'll never get the car to cooperate no matter how much money your throw at it and you'll hate it and want to get rid of it...

Oh yeah, welcome to the Darkside.:cool:

I cleaned off the block very well, got the water hose, degreaser, and brush under there and went to town on it... Anyways i spent the day putting stuff back on, oil pan is on and so is front cover now and water pump. Things are going together alot smoother than they came apart. And i also picked up new coil packs and ignition module today. So hopefully that was my original problem. Will let you guys know tommorow :D

Ok guys plot thickens. IT RUNS... I got it all back together today, new coil pack and ignition module installed. Started it up and its purring nicely, one problem. Remember when i said that the first time i got it to re-crank after installing the new crankshaft sensor? And i heard a ticking noise from the valve covers, i remember somebody told me it was a exhaust leak. Well its not, i can hear it on both sides and believe that oil is not making it to the top of the heads or possibly not being pumped at all. I did not run the car long but while it was idle'ing i peaked threw the oil fill cap and did not see oil flowing up there. What should i check out? I believe i installed the cam sensor correctly where it would be turning the oil pump (i turned the engine by hand until i saw the sensor drop down). Also i put oil in the oil cooler line just to help prime it better, as well as in the oil filter. Thanks guys for all the help so far.

I would pull the valve covers and the cam sensor and get a priming tool to check for oil flow.

Did you prime the oil pump after you put the front cover back on? :confused:

How much oil pressure do you have?

I dont have an oil pressure gauge, no i didnt prime it with a drill or anything. But like i said i dunno if this is the problem because it was doing this before i took the cover off.

O-no :eek:

Don't run it anymore.

Once the front cover has been removed the oil pump requires priming.

Remove the cam sensor and prime the pump with a drill.

Get a op gauge hooked up and make sure your getting pressure with the drill.

I have to give you credit for trying. I too learned allot the hard way. :redface:

Lets hope more damage has not been done.