gn died on me

One question about the cam sensor, if the sensor is not set correctly will the car run? Just wondering if i did it correctly or not, i followed the guide that came with the caspers cam tool but was still wondering. I will try the drill thing tommorow.

Yeah hopefully no damage has been done, what would be the next step IF it does not prime with the drill? Seems to me that starting the car would do the exact same thing the drill would do.

One question about the cam sensor, if the sensor is not set correctly will the car run? Just wondering if i did it correctly or not, i followed the guide that came with the caspers cam tool but was still wondering. I will try the drill thing tommorow.

No, it would not run if it was not set correctly.

Yeah hopefully no damage has been done, what would be the next step IF it does not prime with the drill? Seems to me that starting the car would do the exact same thing the drill would do.

Do a search here on the board for "oil pump priming". It can sometimes be a challenge. There are ways to help the process. Read some of the other posts on this and see if you can get it going.

Good Luck!

Hey guys i tried the oil priming last night, i may or may have not got it. I put oil in the oil cooler line while running the pump in reverse to suck almost a full quart down. Then reconnected the line and started turning the pump clockwise, but the screwdriver end i was using in the drill keeps popping off the oil pumps shaft when the tension gets stronger. I kept trying to turn it for about 10 mins or so and never got oil to the top of the heads that i could see (im just looking threw the oil filler). But like i said i was never able to spin it at full speed or for more then probably 30 seconds straight. I also noticed when the drill slips off, the oil pumps shaft will spin back the opposite way a little.

Hey guys i tried the oil priming last night, i may or may have not got it. I put oil in the oil cooler line while running the pump in reverse to suck almost a full quart down. Then reconnected the line and started turning the pump clockwise, but the screwdriver end i was using in the drill keeps popping off the oil pumps shaft when the tension gets stronger. I kept trying to turn it for about 10 mins or so and never got oil to the top of the heads that i could see (im just looking threw the oil filler). But like i said i was never able to spin it at full speed or for more then probably 30 seconds straight. I also noticed when the drill slips off, the oil pumps shaft will spin back the opposite way a little.

you shouldnt have used a screwdriver on the shaft. it will spread the end of the shaft and if you ever have to take the pump shaft out it will not pull thru. ask me how i know!!!;)

Well i went out tonight and took the valve cover off, started turning it and i can see oil coming from the far left and far right rockers. Is this normal?

Well i went out tonight and took the valve cover off, started turning it and i can see oil coming from the far left and far right rockers. Is this normal?

Hmm... sometimes. I would try to borrow or buy (< $20) a oil pump priming tool. It took me a good 15 minutes of priming to get a good stream of oil out of all the pushrods in my rebuilt engine that sat for a while. A running car should be less but be patient and turn it with the drill until you are happy with the oil coming out.

I would suggest having a place close for your beer and letting the drill run. ;)
I also hooked up a small oil pressure gage under the hood so I could see it while priming.

Hmm... sometimes. I would try to borrow or buy (< $20) a oil pump priming tool. It took me a good 15 minutes of priming to get a good stream of oil out of all the pushrods in my rebuilt engine that sat for a while. A running car should be less but be patient and turn it with the drill until you are happy with the oil coming out.

I would suggest having a place close for your beer and letting the drill run. ;)
I also hooked up a small oil pressure gage under the hood so I could see it while priming.

Yeah when i get home tonight im going to try some more priming, im pretty happy i saw oil get up there at all. Just didnt sit out there and keep at it because its FREEZING in GA. Im not used to all this cold weather...

Auto Zone has the oil pump priming tool. Once you have that, you'll be able to verify pressure/flow. It should bog your drill down when primed.

Auto Zone has the oil pump priming tool. Once you have that, you'll be able to verify pressure/flow. It should bog your drill down when primed.

Yeah i checked with them and they didnt have any, checked 3 stores around here. Anyways yeah but like i said it starts bogging down the drill and if i dont put my body weight on it, the flathead will pop out of the slit from so much pressure.

Got it going guys, just had to prime a bit longer. Now the car is purring better than when i got it :D