gn died on me

If you bought the car from who I think, He seemed like he didnt have the patients for it. A host of problems I dont think he got sorted out then gave up on it within a few months.

Sometimes a car just needs a more patient mechanic.

If you bought the car from who I think, He seemed like he didnt have the patients for it. A host of problems I dont think he got sorted out then gave up on it within a few months.

Have a screen name? I checked on it today and its not getting any spark...

Have a screen name? I checked on it today and its not getting any spark...

No spark...just a few things off the top of my head that are needed for spark.

crank sensor
cam sensor
ignition module
coil pack
voltage to the ign module
You said the tach works when cranking?

Do you know anyone close with a TR? I would start with a coil pack and ign module off a running car. Next would be crank sensor. With the key on you should have voltage to one of the three wires on the cam sensor (forget which one) and voltage the the crank sensor (one of the 2 wires.)
Good news is that a intermediate problem became a crank no-start....which in my book is always easier to diagnosis.

I'm leaning towards coil/ign module

Ok guys i went and looked at the crank sensor. Now i work on cars a decent bit but im new to these so bare with me please. But what does it mean when you touch the Crank sensor and the whole plug falls off and hits you in the face???

Now where can i get one? Does andvance auto carry something like this or am i gonna have to order it someplace? So happy right nwo :biggrin:

Ok guys i went and looked at the crank sensor. Now i work on cars a decent bit but im new to these so bare with me please. But what does it mean when you touch the Crank sensor and the whole plug falls off and hits you in the face???

Now where can i get one? Does andvance auto carry something like this or am i gonna have to order it someplace? So happy right nwo :biggrin:

I think you can get that anywhere. Make sure you get it with the bracket.

Yes, Advanced Auto Parts has them. I bought one for my car there. Good luck with your car. I spend alot of weekends working on mine. I've been fighting with charging problems this weekend, but I think I got it this time. Welcome to the forum... :D

Hmmmmm. Wouldn't be a coil pack bc in order for it to die all 3 would have to go at once. Wouldt be a cam sensor bc the car wud still run (or atleast I think so) with a bad cam sensor the ses light would just come on. I'm thinking crank sensor. So check that while ur checking everything

Hmmmmm. Wouldn't be a coil pack bc in order for it to die all 3 would have to go at once. Wouldt be a cam sensor bc the car wud still run (or atleast I think so) with a bad cam sensor the ses light would just come on. I'm thinking crank sensor. So check that while ur checking everything

Uh oh, read a couple posts up. I found out my crank sensor is broken... ;)

Ok guys i put the sensor on today and the car started just fine. Was blowing out some black soot on the garage floor, then started smoking just a little then engine died. Now it will not start, acts like a car that does not have the timing set correctly...

You more than likely have multiple issues. Do you have a Scanmaster? Did you check for loose negative terminals?

Hmm mabye you got a bad sensor..Did you check it for spark again? I think noone is looking at the thread now cause you "fixed" it....autozone hase a tester that will test the ignition module and tell you if its bad make sure they test it twice .....

Did you also check to see if you have the proper firing order? Sometimes people swap the wires around and get them mixed up. Also, people sometimes hook up the wires from the ignition module to the coil pack backwards. I had a similar issue on a guys car and I could not figure out the problem until I check the ignition module.

Check your Mass airflow sensor...is it stock? I had the problem with my car stopping while driving and it was a short in the camsensor wire....also my mass airflow sensor went out and cause it to stop one time also...

Does your new crank sensor look ok? Take the tension off the belt and see if the balancer and pulley on the front of the crank are loose. The large bolt on the end of the crank may be loose and the movement killed both crank sensors.

There is some wiring information here.
Electrical Information

Start checking each system to make sure the basics such as power and grounds are in good shape.

Take your time and you will find it. :smile:

I'll give you the coil maybe but not the cam sensor. The ecm reads the cam sensor the whole time the car is running. If the little pin on the rotor breaks, then the ecm will get the wrong reading from the sensor and cause the engine to stop running.

Back to the OP....check out this link: ECM and Sensor Information confirm cam sensor settings. Also, what slot did you use for that crank sensor? The above poster has a good point about a loose crank pulley. That will cause a problem similar.

He could have gone to any hospital in the area and gotten plenty of "patients." They always have a large supply.:biggrin:

Bruce '87 Grand National

If you wanna check to see if its the maf unplug it and try to start the car if it runs then thats your problem ..You didnt run it out of gas did you? I did this before car was broke replaced the maf it started and ran fine for like three times around the block then died again. im tearin into stuff pokin wires checkin for spark ..I look at my fuel gauge which is hidden behind my tach (mounted on the column) its below E. Doh....!!!!!!!

He could have gone to any hospital in the area and gotten plenty of "patients." They always have a large supply.:biggrin:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Yeah I know I misspelled it:redface:...

Also I dont think the car he purchased was from the guy I was thinking of.