gn died on me

TrAb

BOOSTIN
Hey guys I just picked up my first grand national today. I had a long drive home around 10 hours. Anywyas after a hour of highway driving I stopped to get gas,well the car dies at about the 2nd stop light. I kept trying it and it started back up after about a minute. It did this a few more times and hen I got back on the highway and it was fine. I stopped 2 more times for gas and it dud fine. Well bout 3 hours later the car just dies while doing around 70 on the highway, this time he voltage and check engine light comes on and now it wont start. I don't see anything loose, anybody got an idea?

Typically the crank sensor is the problem if it dies on its own while running. When you crank it do you see the tack on the dash light up? Cam sensor can prevent a start. Any time the voltage drops under 8 volts the computer quits. Do the battery and alternator seem ok?
Does it have enough gas. Gas gages can be flakey at times also.
Do you have a scanmaster or other way to get engine information?

The ses light and the volt light will be on until the car starts....so that doesn't help us there.

Does the car crank?

Does the car have fuel pressure?

Can you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds when you turn the key on (key on, not running.)?

Does the car have spark?

Those would be the places I would start.

I have a odb1 scanner would that scan this car? I haven't got to check Much tonight as its freezing and raining and I'm gonna be waiting around 6 hours for my help to pick me up...I'm soaked from getting towed off the highway ..I'm gonna look it over tommorow and tell u what I see

Athena,GA is were I live. Right now I'm in Kingston, GA. Would be great if somebody local could help me sometime

I have a odb1 scanner would that scan this car? I haven't got to check Much tonight as its freezing and raining and I'm gonna be waiting around 6 hours for my help to pick me up...I'm soaked from getting towed off the highway ..I'm gonna look it over tommorow and tell u what I see

chances are you will not see any codes imo. Probably a bad electrical connection. 1st place to try would be the wide plug that goes into the ign module (under coil pack). I would start simple and check for spark. That will eliminate a lot off the top. Fuel pressure will let us know if it's getting fuel. Those are the 2 most important things there.

BTW..Do not leave the car on the side of the road. Chances are it will not be there tomorrow.

Yes ill check that out when my help gets here. Battery is dead right now. The car was giving me the cec light during the drive, it would come and go. Hate my first gn experience started out like this.

Ya I'm sleeping in the car now. Ill post pics of it tommorow its in VERY good shape. At least 2 people complimented it at every stop today.

Where did you buy this car? From a board member? Do I dare ask for how much? :rolleyes:

I'm with KevinB. Check first for fuel pressure and spark.

Welcome to the dark side.:cool:

Car was 12k. I got it from a Guy in west palm beach, he told me about this site even though I had already been on before. But I don't think he got on here much. His name was Eric rocha

Injector pulse is also critical in diagnosing your problem!! Read yor PM!!!

Hey i didnt get a PM, i have the car in my garage now. Just got home a minute ago and rolled it in. Im going to have to let the battery charge a little while before i can start looking it over. O and i need some sleep badly...

Typically the crank sensor is the problem if it dies on its own while running. When you crank it do you see the tack on the dash light up? Cam sensor can prevent a start. Any time the voltage drops under 8 volts the computer quits. Do the battery and alternator seem ok?
Does it have enough gas. Gas gages can be flakey at times also.
Do you have a scanmaster or other way to get engine information?

As a matter of fact the tach on the dash does light up, and when driving it reads way off. The previous owner installed a aftermarket tach so thats how i know its off. But at say 2k rmps the stock tach is showing 5k

It's very common for our stock tachs to be way off. Mine is also. And so is my stock boost gauge Revving the car in neutral it says like 7lbs haha

I'm going to say you have a voltage issue. Check for a loose negative connection on the block and the fender. See if the car will run on the alternator.

If you have a cranks but doesnt start and the service engine soon is there with the key on and it just died out of nowhere id suspect crank sensor. Usually restarts after the sensor cools off. Cool it with brake parts cleaner and see if it restarts. An open circuit or intermittent open circuit on pin b of the cam sensor circuit will cause no spark too. Do you have injector pulse?