GN Battery

I've got the yellow top Optima. Yellow tops are designed for lots of equip. which I don't have but I like the deep cycle.

Bought a cheap walmart one for the GN, then put it in the Z06 in case the original started leaking. Then I put a 5 yr old interstate with top posts in the GN. The T gets a tiny lightweight odessey 680 motorcycle battery lol. They all work. The small odessey, yes I keep it charged if I don't drive the car for a while as it gets worked on. I had a odessey 975, but I let it go competely dead a few times and did not charge it at the right rate so it bit the dust and could not provide juice to start well.

Walmart all the way.. I have walmart batteries in every car I own. It's like $75 bucks and you have a 3 year free replacement. I'm not concerned about which one lasts longer or any of that crap. It gives the proper voltage and holds a charge just like all the other batteries out there.

The best part is that if I have a problem, I can stop at ANY walmart ANYWHERE and swap it for a nice new one... Consider this... How many Walmarts are out there as opposed to Optima dealers or Interstate dealers? There's a freakin' walmart on nearly every block these days...

Once I buy a walmart battery for a car I never have to buy one again. When it dies or gets close, I just go and swap it out... KISS: Keep it simple stupid :cool:

I've always used sears and never had a problem. But after reading some of the replies I may have to consider going to walmart. Just for the warranty and the fact they're everywhere. I still hate walmart tho

I have a red top Optima in the GN with a battery tender plus. I have absolutely no complaints. You need a battery maintainer with these cars. I had a red top years ago with no tender and the car sat for about 2 months and took the Optima out. Got a free replacement.
I only use Interstate batteries in my other cars. They have been very good to me. Talking about my wife leaving interior lights on 3 times charge it up with battery tender and starts EVERYTIME in cold weather. I even lost my alternator and drove my GN home about 60 miles at night and the battery only went down to about 9 volts(on scanmaster). The Interstates are really tough battteries. They are made by Johnson Industries (so are the Duralast-I just didn't like the exterior colors/style). My opinion is that Johnson Industries makes the best batteries. I believe they make the Ford Motorcraft and some Walmart batteries too.

I've been told that the Red Top is an excellent batt.

I couldn't more disappointed in the red top i had in the GN. I kept a battery tender on at all times, it didn't last more than two years. I will never even consider one again.
The GNX has a Delco(on the same kinda battery tender as the red top) and it is now 8-9 yrs. old and still cranking.

I had the Optima red top 4post = JUNK also as previously mentioned the AC Delco is good only if you drive it regularly. Sadly enough, I have had more luck with the advanced auto 4 post battery it's the silver :p

Wow. Everybody is all over the place on this one. I am still not sure what kind of battery I will get. I guess no matter which one I get, I need to have a tender on it over the winter when I dont drive it.

I used a Sears DieHard for years, however, I was driving the TR daily.
I replaced the DieHard with a red top & couldn't let The TR sit over a weekend without it going dead.
I now have a Sears Platinum ($$$) & it seems to do ok. I think I would recommend the DieHard.

I've had my GN since new and over the years, I've had several makes of batteries...AC Delco, Interstate, Napa...They were all ok, no complaint with any of them...:redface:

Claude. :smile:

Interstate in my dailey driver. Was in the car when I got it in '05. The GN has a Wal-mart battery.

I've been running the Odyssey Battery for years in both my GN and daily driver 91 Talon and it's great, even in near zero weather as long as you start it every 12 hours. I pull it in the GN since it's an April to Oct car but it always fires up after the winter rest (I rest it on wood in my house).

There is a new dry cell called a Shuriken that is claimed to be made by Kinetics manufacturer. I just installed it in my Talon and have to say, it's about $50 cheaper and can crank over longer than the Odyssey. The bolts are 5mm x .8 thread so get the terminals if you go this route.

I've been running the Odyssey Battery for years in both my GN and daily driver 91 Talon and it's great, even in near zero weather as long as you start it every 12 hours.

You have a '91 TALON?!? Awesome! I had a '90 Talon TSI...Pewter. Wasn't the '91 the last year for the pop-up lights? You gotta post some pics...have not seen one in forever.

:eek:SORRY...did not mean to mess with the thread and change subjects....:eek:

Wow. Everybody is all over the place on this one. I am still not sure what kind of battery I will get. I guess no matter which one I get, I need to have a tender on it over the winter when I dont drive it.

That's true....everyone has different opinions on batteries. So it looks like they all are ok. Definately get a Battery Tender. I use Battery Tender Jr. and they work great.

No matter what battery you get, you will definately get a real "charge" out of it.:tongue:

Bruce '87 Grand National

I had an Optima red top that last 4 years with minimal use. Decided it wasn't worth the money and ended up with a Duralast red top which is almost a year old.

I have the Sears Die Hard in everything we drive, GN, P/U, and SUV. They have given dependable, long lasting service.

batirizis

Years ago I put an Opmima Red top in my piece and it lasted forever.I really tourtured that thing. Iwould let the car sit for months at a time and it would fire the car almost every time.I've over charged it to the point where the sides swelled,it was venting SMOKE!,and it was so hot it actually left a burn mark on my hand! I did that twice! Each time,after it cooled down,The thing just kept going.After about 11 years,Ifinaly had to get a new one.I got a autozone special because I was in a hurry and am a tight wad!