Getting 'er done!...Goals and Achievements

jake616

We are all "paper racers" and have dreams about what we would like our car to end up as when we finish it. We make visual plans in our head, and some of us even write down what we would like even if it is out of our current reach...SO...

What I am curious about is how you reach your goals and allow yourself to step out of "dreaming" and actually "get 'er done".

-jake

I was thinking about this just the other day. When I first learned about GNs way back in the early 90s I dreamed I would one day own an 87 GN with t-tops, tinted windows, black-outs, and wire rims (very popular at the time). I've had this "dream car" for a few years now. Back then I only wanted it to look good, but it seems all my money is going into making it faster. The only thing it took for me to achieve this was time, hard work, and good money management.....

p.s.- working your way up is part of it too. I couldn't get an 87 at first so I made my dream car out of an 85 GN. Alot of people talk about what they want to do to a a car but only a few have the drive to achieve their goals.

Originally posted by OneLethal87GN
Alot of people talk about what they want to do to a a car but only a few have the drive to achieve their goals.
Exactly the point I am getting to. How is it that you get your "drive"?

Do any of you have a seperate banka ccount you hold "car" money in, or anything of the sort?

The "drive" you are talking about prolly extends to much more of ones life than just a turbo regal.Some people can focus on goals and what it takes to accomplish them and some people get side tracked very easily.I am sure the completion of these goals has alot to do with ones financial status also.

There is so much more to your question--it would ages to discuss them all---but it is a very interesting question:)

Geoff

i agree with ghall

i would hope someones ultimate goal in life is to have a particular dream car, i for instance decided when i was 10 years old i was going to be a pilot in the navy, i am doing just that

i tend to think that people who strive for all of thier goals and are willing to WORK for them eventually get what they are looking for, and sure that can translate to a GN or Vette or whatever....
i was lucky enough to find a GN with all the manatory mods and a few other good parts, and i have slowly built it up since then...im definately not done, probably will never be :p

but hard work (which can equate to $$$) and determination will get anyone where they want in life

a couple other factors are patience and restraint....when it comes to the $$$ aspect...my GN could be in the 10s right now if i hadnt partied my butt off in flight school, but at the time thats what i wanted to do and was willing to wait on the car parts...others are the exact opposite, sinking every extra dime into their car...niether of which is right or wrong...

Originally posted by jake616
Exactly the point I am getting to. How is it that you get your "drive"?

Do any of you have a seperate banka ccount you hold "car" money in, or anything of the sort?

Well I did :D untill I purchased my Nova. I have started it back up. My dream goal for my GN is a stage II motor.

You start with a good plan and try not to rush. I picked up my 63 nova fresh outta high school and wanted a tubbed 10 wide car. 10 years later Im seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. A 700hp stage 1 in a" in the weeds" nova hoping to hit the road on the summer of 05. My drive was building the car, all frame/suspension was done in my moms garage on a home bult chassis jig. Im starting to think building the car will probably be more fun than driving it. Guess Ill start something different-street rod,harley?

the biggest contributor to the success of my prajoct was just not getting overwhelmed. i keep myself motivated by making myself step back every now and then to look at the big picture, and remember what all the work is for. it is really easy for me to get so sunk in all of the little details that the project becomes work.

this board has also been a big help. all of the support and helpfull advice from board members has really made everything so much easier. allthough i do blame ya'll for making my project get out of hand(original plan was to rebuild the car pretty much stock).;)

-jeff

I found the easiest way to get anything accomplished is to set realistic goals and once you meet them you set another goal. If you set a goal to run low 10's and your car is still all stock, you will probably end up selling it before you get it done. Set a goal to run a 12.9 as stock as possible and you will have fun and then just keep bumping it down as you get faster. Works for me.