Gears,,,,,,,,????

3.42 will work great from a 14 second car to a 9 second car, the lower ratio keeps the engine rpm down where you will make the highest average power. There is no need to change gears unless your building a serious engine that can make good power above 6400 rpm, these cars like small cams and 3.42 gears save your $$ for something more beneficial.

I run 73s in a original 24,000 mile stock engine combo with 27.5 inch MT Drag Radials and run 11:14 and 119.25Mph! Pump gas 91 and Alky, 1.54 60ft times.

3.42 will work great from a 14 second car to a 9 second car, the lower ratio keeps the engine rpm down where you will make the highest average power. There is no need to change gears unless your building a serious engine that can make good power above 6400 rpm, these cars like small cams and 3.42 gears save your $$ for something more beneficial.

To verify the excellent advise above, a local GN with and unopened stock engine and 3.42 gears has run 10.90's with a TE-60 turbo and other supporting parts.

Many mid-9 sec. GN's run 3.42 gears, only faster ones that are race cars will go with a steeper gear as well as many other mods to be competitive! :)

Had 3.73 gears in mine when I bought it. I hated them! I actually think it slowed my car down and I had the entire top half of the motor rebuilt. Car drove like shit and was not fun to drive.... rpm's were to high; to torquey (if that's a word). Put 3.42 in and it was great; so much nicer to drive. Since then I had a T/A aluminum stroker built and I still wouldn't considerate. No need for it. I would listen to the technical guys here like, Nick Micale, who really know. Like fastblackracing said, it will put your motor out of the correct power range.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/members/fastblackracing.30372/

342 or 373 gears
they both work,there is no best.combo and goals are key.you don't have to change the gear out for the car to go faster if that is your question,however if your running a taller 28 in tire the 3.73 will bring the ratio closer to the stock 26 in tall 3.42 rear gear combo.

Interesting postings in this thread. Most cars with 10 sec or better power need taller gearing from what I've seen. Especially in 1st gear. The stock 200-4R gearing doesn't complement a high cylinder pressure engine very well. If the converter isn't right the gearing isn't going to matter too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk