Gains from advancing the timing?

fullahotair

Just curious as to how much gain people from seen from advancing timing. For arguements sake, lets say you are running alky with 23/21 degrees as most alky chips come. I see some people tweak the timing up, so my question is what type of results/gains have you experienced by doing so? how much hp? trap speed?

Thanks,
Nate

You would have to give a combo so we could evaluate the potential. More rpm and more compression ratio will make more power vs less of them but octane required will go up. Type of fuel being used makes a big difference. Onloy accurate comparisons could be made with fuels that came out of sealed cans.

Just curious as to how much gain people from seen from advancing timing. For arguements sake, lets say you are running alky with 23/21 degrees as most alky chips come. I see some people tweak the timing up, so my question is what type of results/gains have you experienced by doing so? how much hp? trap speed?

Thanks,
Nate

some combos like more timing and some dont. advancing the timing will make more power and your car more aggressive but the drawback is your window of problems become smaller because things happen faster with more timing. you have to start slow and tune for mph and knock dont worry about et lst should be last. if you want to be safe you can increase your timing in first and second to get your car to accelerate faster as these gears are more forgiving from knock. just go slow you and you will find out what your car likes

With the same 60' times (less than .002 difference) I went from 11.83 on 91 & alky to an 11.55 on 91 and alky by adding a little timing. I had a dual nozzle set up, an M10 & M15 nozzle and the chip has 23/21 timing and I had to turn the timing back just a bit for the 11.83. With dual M15's I was able to add a little to the base 23/21. And yes I know that most TRs don't need dual nozzles until in the 10's, but hey, I got 155k miles and the elevation here is over 5k feet, before taking into account the heat we have;)

Thanks for the replies guys... my combo is CTP61, 009s, razor alky, stock bottom end, 3 dp, maftpro, ported intake, 3200 stall. Right now I am at 24 psi, 23/21, and at 10.5 AFR. I am still in the process of tuning, so I plan on leaning out the AFR and bumping up the timing...

I just wasn't sure how much gains people see from bumping up the timing within reason of course. Granted if you are running alky, as mentioned above, most chips are 23/21, so i would assume you are already in the ballpark and not running something like 19/17 with alky. So for discussion purposes what type of gains might be experienced by doing 25/23 timing....a few mph? 5 hp? 10hp? (i realize you can't say with certianty, just wondering what people's experiences where)

Thanks,
Nate

My WE4 is 24-22, but its a stock turbo car. I plan to creep the timing up a bit as the ALKY is only on "5". My buddys car with a TA49 is running 28-25 :eek: Just depends on the car.

My GN has always liked timing. Right now its 23-21, but I plan to move this one up as well. I just dont have time to mess with it right now :)

There was a great thread on this a few years ago: which makes more power, boost vs timing. The debate got pretty technical and intense. But I think the verdict is to run the boost you feel most comfortable at, then dial the timing in for what makes the most power at that boost level. People were even talking to retard timing and up the boost.

Thanks for the replies guys...i understand each car is different and that my 23 degrees may be someone else's 25 degrees...

8UWITH6, you said your buddy runs 28/25...i am assuming he started at 23/21, what was the net gain? an extra X mph in the 1/4?

Thanks,
Nate

FWIW

The biggest thing i see as a factor in making more power by adding timing is the type of fuel thats being used.

There was a great thread on this a few years ago: which makes more power, boost vs timing. The debate got pretty technical and intense. But I think the verdict is to run the boost you feel most comfortable at, then dial the timing in for what makes the most power at that boost level. People were even talking to retard timing and up the boost.

I've been searching for that thread. Does anyone have a link to it? Thanks.