g-tech opinions?

twizz

I've always heard mixed reviews about g-techs. you know, those little radar detector things that are supposed to measure performance?? I've heard reports that they are completely unreliable, others have said that it's not accurate, but it's consistent, so it is reliable to tune with, and others have said that its relatively accurate, within 2-3 tenths, and the mph is off usually 3-5 mph faster because it doesn't measure trap speed, it measures speed at the end of the 1/4.

just wanted everyones opinion. I once pulled a 13.2 @ 113 mph off of one, and I was on street tires. even if it were off by 7 mph, thats 106 mph, a lot more than I would expect for my combo.

yea, i have many places around that i can stop, put some trackbite down, and do a burnout and make a pass. a 1/4 mile seems a lot longer on the gtech though.

The g-tech is an excellent tuning tool provided you use it under the same conditions. For instance, you want to check how your k&n changed your et...baseline it, and then install the k&n and run it again under the same weather conditions. It will return a higher mph than at the track because the track averages the last 60 feet or so for your mph. It is fairly accurate and consistent on the 1/4 mile times. And it is EASY to level and use. Takes 3 seconds. I like mine.

< 1/4 mile seems a lot longer on the gtech though>
It's shorter with the g-tec by about 50-100':D

For $20 more I would recommend the Tazzo over the Gtech Pro. Well, $40 if you want to mount it to the windsheild instead of velcroing it to the dash.

Although you can probably find some Gtechs used for a good price. I plan to get the new Pro Competition model ($250) and sell my old Pro, and others are doing the same. There was one in the for sale forum for $100.

HTH.
Tom

Took my original g-tech to the track. In 5 runs it was never more than .06 seconds off. Thats 6/100 of a second from the timeslip. I'd say that is pretty damn accurate.

wow, only .06 off in 5 runs?? thats what I would call accurate.

i used it, and found it to be relatively consistent as long as I was consistent with the launch. If I launched hard, and got too much spin, it slowed me down a lot. A few perfect launched, and it got consistent.

I still can't get over it. only a 14.0 @ 97 at the track, but my best on a g-tech, which was far from the best pass the car has made, was 13.2 @ 112. 112 is a LOT of mph, even for a g-tech. Makes me feel kinda good about it.

It seems I use the HP option more than the 1/4 mile because of road space but, from what I have found, is that a high timing chip seems to give me more power vs low timing chip. I have learned alot from this little device.

The more the front of the car comes up the more it's off. Also the g-tec mezzers mph at the line not the average of the last 60". Somebody have a link to the tazzo site?

Been using G-Tech for 2 years and the biggest problem is to get it EXCACTLY at 0 when you adjust it.
If you have it correct adjusted it shows the right numbers, hell.... mine was also showing the correct MPH!