FYI...2013 Shelby GT 500 goes 10.02 @ 142MPH with bolt ons only!

Impressive but all that money for a Mustang, and Im 6'1/2 200lb and my knees are practically at the steering wheel. Honestly the Challengers may be slower and heavier but they drive well for long drives and also have a big car chassis. For a drag car, sure Mustangs are like Chevelles, Novas, Malibus at any small town 1/8 or 1/4 mile track, tons of them every Saturday night at any drag strip USA.

I give Ford credit, but you compare apples to oranges. Take one and comparing to even a modded T/R, well i might as well call a friend of mine with his altered wheel base Hillborn Injected 65 Dodge, load the alky and run low 8s for equal comparison!

This car makes an old "blue oval" guy sit here an grin :D Sure would look nice to have one in my driveway :p Show all the Buick stroker motored cars that run 12s a lesson or to ;)

It wasn't too long ago when people on muscle car forums would read remarks from import drivers such as "I may not can beat you in the quarter, but my car is mad-tyte in the twisties!"causing laughter as a reply. Now, because the only claim to fame the ZL1 has left over the GT500 is an "official N-Ring time", the twisties and curveys are relevant in the horsepower wars.

Personally, I couldn't care less what the N-Ring times are. It's doubtful I'd ever in my days get a chance to stretch a car like the GT500 or ZL1 out on any track remotely close to the Ring. However, there are more than a couple of drag strips I can play on within a few miles of my house.

That said, having had a 2011 GT500, it certainly was no slouch in the handling department. Granted, I haven't had any seat time in a ZL1, I can't imagine it just devastating the Shelby. However, I could be wrong.

Either way, I am VERY glad to see the ZL1 do what it does. It is a fine @$$ car that is a beast in its own right. But in the current battle, the title goes to the GT500. It would be nice if Chevrolet would get over the historical "no other GM car will ever be allowed outperform our beloved Corvette" stance and blast the additional power to the ZL1 making it a real competitor for the Shelby. But I don't see that happening.

Thought THIS was kind of neat.....ATCO wants to see a race between STOCK 2013 GT 500 and the new ZL1 Camaro.... they put out the following....

If you or someone you know has a stock 2013 GT500 and/or someone with a new ZL1 Camaro that wants to race let me know. I will cover their entry fee. The only stipulation is that of course the two cars have to race each other at some point during the night.

Call the office at 856-768-2167 ask for Dave or email me at dave@atcoraceway.com

Let me know!

Sounds like the PONY CAR wars of the late 60's all over again!!

Guess that TTix twin turbo kit for my Z06 will happen sooner than later in order to keep up :)

guys i just saw the car go a couple of days ago its bad ass and will go faster.high 9's 140+mph, track was hookin:)

They both start at 54,000 and average about 60,000 with some nice add on's like NAV, and special chassis tuning.

I think both of these cars are sports cars. They can do all three, daily driver ( yeah who would be driving theirs to work every day), drag race and road race all wrapped in one. Its pretty amazing when you can squeeze 600 plus hp out of a motor running on 91 octane gas. EGTs are in the 1650 to 1700 range and the motor is HAPPY. No Buick can do that.

And handling. You can literally push a button for launch control and select a handling mode so its almost idiot proof. Lets face it 600 hp to the ground is a lot of power being able to control it, that is key.

Home run for FORD. Chevy is no slouch but they better step up the HP. And sorry but GM needs to get off their ass and make a 4 valve head for the LS.

I would love to see a direct injection V8 too!!!

priced the cobra&ZL/1 list 54k t0 60k plus 15k dealer mark up so for 75k minus tax! you will still get youre ass handed to ya by bisons gn or any ths,tsm,tso, gn that will be out hunting to kill one first cant wait!

ZL1 did it in 7:41, GT 500 in 7:35 according to the stories!
If that 7:35 is true I don't see why Ford isn't publishing it :confused:

And for the people ragging on GM and the ZL1 (not you), remember... before the Camaro came back the Mustang GT was a sorry-ass 315HP POS. And it wasn't going to get any better because Ford had no pony car competition and didn't give a crap that their car sucked. So don't go waxing eloquent about how wonderful Ford is. :rolleyes:

Then the Camaro comes back and the V6 version can hand the Mustang GT its ass and Ford is beyond embarrassed and is forced to respond. So the war is on again and that's a good thing for all of us but if it wasn't for the Camaro the Mustang would still be a crapmobile.

So now we have a 660HP Mustang... which is great... but that doesn't make the ZL1 a POS, especially considering that it came out first and gave Ford a target to shoot at. Here's something else... the ZL1's warranty extends to the track. Blow up your ZL1 on the track and GM will fix it. Blow up your Shelby GT on the track and get out your checkbook. I think that says something about GM and how much confidence they have in their car and that they built it to be run.

Having said all that I would probably buy the Shelby... unless I was going to track it, then I might actually get the ZL1.

If that 7:35 is true I don't see why Ford isn't publishing it :confused:

And for the people ragging on GM and the ZL1 (not you), remember... before the Camaro came back the Mustang GT was a sorry-ass 315HP POS. And it wasn't going to get any better because Ford had no pony car competition and didn't give a crap that their car sucked. So don't go waxing eloquent about how wonderful Ford is. :rolleyes:

Then the Camaro comes back and the V6 version can hand the Mustang GT its ass and Ford is beyond embarrassed and is forced to respond. So the war is on again and that's a good thing for all of us but if it wasn't for the Camaro the Mustang would still be a crapmobile.

So now we have a 660HP Mustang... which is great... but that doesn't make the ZL1 a POS, especially considering that it came out first and gave Ford a target to shoot at. Here's something else... the ZL1's warranty extends to the track. Blow up your ZL1 on the track and GM will fix it. Blow up your Shelby GT on the track and get out your checkbook. I think that says something about GM and how much confidence they have in their car and that they built it to be run.

Having said all that I would probably buy the Shelby... unless I was going to track it, then I might actually get the ZL1.

IMO, the ZL1 had the GT500 as a target and that's why it makes 580hp, but Ford said, "We have enough left see you Chevy." Now the ZL1 probably is a better chassis but 90%+ of the owners out there will never see the limits on a road course of the GT500 let alone the ZL1 if it is better and the GT500 has the track pack if you need to brag to your friends about how fast someone else can drive it around the ring. Who would have thought that a camaro would have ever been so well developed though? I saw a new ZL1 at a car show last night, and it really does look well developed and fast, better than the Shelby, but the Shelby feels more like a "muscle" car than the "sportier" Camaro ZL1. Is anyone you even know ever been to the ring, let alone with a car they actually own that wasn't purchased there? I'm sure there are some but they are in the much less than 10% club of ownership. As far as the V6 and V8 engine development, they both had direct injection in development, GM just came with it first here. The Coyote engine was in Australia, and GM may have motivated Ford to bring it here, but I assure you that they are on top of each other's engineering developments long before we as consumers see any of the new tech. GM still uses pushrods and needs 6.2L's to get what Ford gets out of 5.0L's but with better DOHC heads; both are great engines, just different. It's a great time for new cars and regardless of preference, and that really is all that separates any of them, we all couldn't have better choices right now. And at the strip, I'll still take a run at any of them in my skinny tire wearin' old Buford any day.

Caroll Shelby said it best but Ford is still run by Ford's. There are plenty of them on the board, well two. GM can't say that and most of the car guys that were there have been replaced post bankruptcy, at least at the corporate level. Ford deserves what they have. I just hope they keep it up and represent what a truly great American car company can be like. It isn't just this Mustang that rocks, but most all of their product is as good as anyone screws together.

>>> Correct and kudos to Ford.....they said we don't want your money and the didn't take it and henceforth aren't owned by the Gov't and when you aren't owned by the Gov't you can do what you want.