Fuel pump install, one minor problem

SyHopeful

I'm your huckleberry.
Installed my Walbro 340 and Racetronix PnP harness tonight. Everything went smoothly and she fired up the first try, no leaks and everything runs perfectly. I've already noticed an increase in upper-RPM power even with the stock FPR and injectors (soon to be changed).

However, my gas gauge is now crazy. It stays hidden well beyond "Full" on the dash. I just added over 2 gallons to it (and I didn't completely empty it before dropping it, had maybe a gallon left) and it didn't move at all. I'm at a loss for reasons. I noticed that when my GN is keyed off the gauge comes back up a little, but as soon as I hit the ignition it buries itself again.

Any ideas? I thought maybe I got a wire crossed somewhere and it's now reading in reverse, but that doesn't explain why it's burying itself. :confused:

My guess would be the float is hung up somehow. Unfortunately, you're gonna have to drop the tank and pull the assembly to know for sure.

Usually when the needle goes all the way over, has something to do with a ground. Try jiggling the wires. Sorry can't tell you exactly what to do to fix it. Maybe someone will chime in.

The tank isn't grounded right with the extra grounding strap they give you.......................Must use that strap!!

Ground is provided via the factory wiring and the tank lip ground clip. The level sender signal is routed through the purple wire.

Originally posted by Racetronix
Ground is provided via the factory wiring and the tank lip ground clip. The level sender signal is routed through the purple wire.

So is my problem the ground like these guys are saying or am I going to have to drop the tank? :confused:

Or maybe something to do with the alligator clip ground that I didn't use at all?

Had the sending unit plug in the wrong hole on the new connector, so it wasn't making any contact.