Fuel Pump /Electrical Gremlins

macatoni

Buick Powered
So pulled the Buick out the other day after it sitting for 4 weeks or so. Go out cruising, go about 25-30 miles make a stop, get on it a few times everythings going great. I pull up to another stop and when i go to restart the car nothing. Ends up i have no fuel pressure. Im not getting anything on my pressure gauge tapped into the fuel line under the hood. No sound from the pump. I just recently put in a new walbro and a hotwire kit. Check the fuse on the hotwire kit and its fine, the two relays (one under the hood and one by the bumper for the hotwire kit) both click so it seems they are getting power. Just recently had knee surgery so i was unable to twist up under the dash to get to the fuse and it was getting cold and late so i had a buddy of mine how owns a tow company tow me home.

Go out there this morning determined to somehow twist myself under the dash to get to the fuse feeling like maybe that blew from a short or something. Pop the hood before i do anything and holy crap i have 42psi on the rail and i havent turned the key in 16hours. Go try and start the car it starts right up! So something funky is going on, not sure how the pump could energize with the ignition off and build pressure. Not sure how else could be getting PSI in the line without the pump going. So is my pump running 24/7??? I cant hear it with the car sitting.

Must be something funky with the electrical just confused on where to start. All ideas welcome...

Dave

Something similar happened too me...my FP suddenly stopped working so I bypassed the hot wire kit and plugged in the factory connector behind the rear bumper and it worked fine. A few days later I was going to trouble shoot the hot wire kit and see where the problem was. Plugged it back up and it worked fine. It's been working fine ever since too. Never did find out what caused it.

Something similar happened too me...my FP suddenly stopped working so I bypassed the hot wire kit and plugged in the factory connector behind the rear bumper and it worked fine. A few days later I was going to trouble shoot the hot wire kit and see where the problem was. Plugged it back up and it worked fine. It's been working fine ever since too. Never did find out what caused it.
I had exactly the same problem. I'd be ready for the hotwire to die again. Mine was one of the connectors in the socket that the hotwire relay plugged into was loose. Tightened it up and it never went out again.

Soon as I can get someone over here capable of crawling under the rear and getting to the relay I'll have that checked out. Last night before going out I popped the hood and the gauge said 0 psi. Leaving this morning popped the hood and it had 40psi!! No key in the ignition and some phantom fuel pump action.....hopefully it's the relay connector but I'm not sure how it's being triggered with the car off but I'll start with the relay

Also I pulled the fuse for the hotwire kit and when I get home I expect the pressure in the line will have gone away

I'd be disconnecting the battery or at least pulling the hotwire fuse until you find the culprit.

Mama says unattended electrical shorts are The Debil!

One time I had a hot wire relay that was damaged and had a hole in the corner of the cube. The hole let the elements in and the inside of the relay was corroded to hell. Would do crazy things just like you describe. Food for thought..

Rick