front mount vs stretch

87T

I know I am about to open a can of worms BUT its time for me to get a better IC, yes money is tight but I'm wondering for the $$$ which is a better investment a front mount or a stretch, I have a 49 turbo, cat back and a stock IC with Dutt.neck....thanks:) :)

I'll give my opinion, which ain't much.

I got a used VR4 for a very good price & couldn't afford a new IC.

The stretch hangs low enough, I worry about pulling up to a curb with my daily driver.

The previous owner of the VR4 picked up .4 over stock & another .2 when he went to a FM.

I've heard all kinds of overheating stories with the FM. I've found a radiator recore $150 & Ramchargers dual fan setup $80 work wonders in the cooling department.

Good luck with your decision, but with all new prices, I'd go with a FM.

Since you live in FL, and you said you have limited $$$, go stretch. Dont be surprised when the $1000 FM means you need to get a new radiator or better fan also just to run the A/C. Stock location IC's are good for 10's, and 99% of us will never go that fast.

Just wondering why.......

Just wondering why you are needing either intercooler with a 49 turbo? The only reason being is that the stocker is good down into low elevens. But if you have your heart set on a intercooler, and there are a variety of opinions...go with a stock location.....mease performance makes a very good intercooler available in your size of choice. FMIC are really good but if you are on a budget that 1000 bucks can make you choke a bit. If you like a fmic without the fmic price and don't mind hacking up your car, take a look at the ford powerstroke but be reminded that you have notch the frame in your car. Doesn't sit very well with me but ..........thats me:cool:
Hope this helps
Steve Chambers

Looked at the powerstroke set up..do not what to hackup the car..thinking of the stretch from J cotton, nice price:)

Just my .02

I stumbled onto a net little set of pictures the other day, here's the link: http://home.att.net/~stevemon/StretchIC.html It looks like Steve built an intercooler and a half for about $400.00. If you've already got a stock IC then you could probably do the project for $300.00. I thought about doing it but I got a Power Stroke IC instead. I've cut the tanks off and I'm building new end tanks with sheet aluminum and aluminum tubes which will duct the IC tubes under the core support. Like they say, "There are those with time, and those with money, but rarely those with both". I will probably only have about $200.00 in my PS IC but I will most likely have 20 hours invested in it. It all depends on how you look at the situation. - BB

oh ya tons of people running low 11's here on this board with a stock ic. an inthercooler upgrade(any kind) is a vast improvment over stock. if heat and money are concerns by all means get a stock location. i'm sure some have gone real fast with the stock ic but why make it harder on yourself? if ya got the dough get one, your 49 will thank you with the fastest spoolup you've ever felt!

well,,,,

try to find a used front mount,,,save $$$. It may take some time, just keep looking. I love my FM. Looks cool:D ,runs good(108mph w/ 16 psi), and runs cool(4 row radiator w/ stock fan). If you have the funds go for it!!! And yes you can run fast with the stocker, but you'll run faster w/ a FM;) ! Ross

Originally posted by 87T
Looked at the powerstroke set up..do not what to hackup the car..thinking of the stretch from J cotton, nice price:)

I've got the stretch from JC. It works well. The sheet metal scoop is adjustable and is nice, although it does hang a bit low. All things considered the JC intercooler is a good buy for those of us that don't want to do a front mount. The JC stretch should take you to low 11s or even into the 10s. For most of us, that is plenty. Good luck. :)