FP Variance?

Paul Clark

My FP seems to change all by itself.
Tonight it had moved up to 44 1/2, even though I had set it to a bit below 43.
Mean anything? (Accufab)
Also, what "should" the difference between line on / line off be?
I only get 4 lbs. difference.
Thanks

The difference between line off and line on should equal the vacuum you're pulling (remembering of course that you have aprox. half the vacuum reading to equal psi)

For example if the car is pulling 15" of vacuum at idle that would equal aprox 7 to 7 1/2 psi difference.

IF you're seeing 4 psi difference that means your only pulling 8" of vacuum at idle (EXTREMELY low)!!

Thanks for the reply.
When trying to find some vac. leaks, I checked the vac. with a Mighty-Vac off of the vac. block. It was 16-17.
I'd check it again, but I forget how I did it. Duh.
Where would be the easiest spot? I'd like to avoid pulling any hoses off the vac. block again.

TurboDave said:
The difference between line off and line on should equal the vacuum you're pulling (remembering of course that you have aprox. half the vacuum reading to equal psi)

For example if the car is pulling 15" of vacuum at idle that would equal aprox 7 to 7 1/2 psi difference.

IF you're seeing 4 psi difference that means your only pulling 8" of vacuum at idle (EXTREMELY low)!!
My car has aprox. 16" vac. at idle. Would that be considered good? I was told by someone it should be more.

Thank, Ed

Mine reads 14-16 inches of vacuum & only pulls about 4-5psi fuel pressure. My pressure varies like yours also on different days (accufab).

VMAXRIDER said:
Mine pulls 18-22 at idle.I thought that was kind of high.
This is what I was told was normal, but I have no idea how to obtain such a reading. Mine even drops to 13" sometimes, don't know why. Any ideas how to up the vac? Is high vac better? Wat causes temporary vac drop?

Also, mine pulls 43 psi static down to about 38psi.

Thanks for the replies. At least I'm not alone.
Any explanation for the changes in both the FP from day to day and the different vac. readings?
Mechanic friend suggested I check it out at cold start and see what happens after it warms up. Going to try that tonight, as I still have some 110 in there and it smells so good. Hope I remember to open the garage door. ;)

I have a 19K mile turbo-t, and I moniter the vacuum with a calibrated 30-0-30 vacuum-boost and cold at startup it shows about 19 or so at an idle speed of about 1100 rpm, and within about 15 secs it will increase to about 20, and then drop back down to about 18 after 30 secs of idling at about 850 rpm or so. I would re-check your vacuum reading with another gage as your vacuum readings do sound very low. Not running a cam, are you? Cams kill vacuum, and the bigger the cam, the lower the vacuum, and that is generally why you see some cars with an additional vacuum can. Especially mopars. Probably one on the contributing factors that neither turbo Buicks nor mopars react very well to big bumpsticks

Not all vacuum gauges are created equal.... and neither are the parts our cars were made with. Make sure you use a good quality vacuum gauge. Usually the ones made by professional tool companies are more accurate (i.e. Mac, Snap On, Matco). This stands true with compression testing equipment.

A liitle story.........

I remember going crazy once when the cam doctors 1st came out. I was cam doctoring everything to see what was what. Wheather it was a factory cam or a performance cam to see if they were ground properly. Had a normally aspirated Buick come in at the Dealership I was a tune up tech at with a huge pinging problem. Cust says it's always done that since it was new. Was around an 84-85 Buick Regal 3.8 Carburated deal. No matter what... this thing would ping like a S.O.B. on light throttle. Egr worked fine, diaphram lifted all the way while driving under load, no excess carbon on the pistons, Egr port was clear, emissions were fine (not too lean), no cooling system or head coolant circulation problems, timing spot on and the advance was working properly. But no matter what I did... this thing pinged bad.

Checked the compression and it was around 200 psi. All the other Buick N/A cars I tested were around 175 psi or so with the throttle wide open, all the plugs out and a battery charger on the battery to get good cranking speed. Sold the customer on a camshaft. Sent the car to one of my line mechanic/buddies and pulled the timing cover. We installed a degree wheel and checked to see where the intake lobe centerline was.... it was around 101-102 degrees. A stock Buick cam is usually around 108-109. This was the problem. Cam was ground wrong. A phone call to my buddy John Erson (Sig Ersons nephew) confirmed this. John told me that when his uncle did runs for GM or any other manufacturer, they could be off by 4-6% and they'd consider that "acceptable". Ever wonder why if you test drove 10 cars of the same make/model/combo, but 1 or 2 of the cars just ran really snappy?? Well... there you go. This is why the guys that build the NASCAR motors or work for say Warren Johnson get paid the big bucks. Because everything in their motors are perfect.

So the moral to this story is..... even if you have a stock Buick GN.... you can have different vacuum readings from car to car (provided all other things are the same.... no vac leaks, etc) depending on if the cam was ground properly and it's intake lobe centerlines and int to exh lobe centerlines are correct.

Wells......
Not sure what you mean by Mopars not reacting well to larger cams?? We've never had problems with these motors as long as the "correct" cam is installed. Very much like Buicks require certain things (i.e. retarded intake lobe centerlines/late cylinder filling to reduce dynamic compression-detonation and wider int/exh lobe centers to promote turbo spool/scavenging of the exhaust). In line valve Mopars in a N/A actually do quite well with tight lobe center cams and long duration/lifts. Hemi's respond well to wide lobe centers because of the massive cantedness of the valve positions and their large chambers.