Found exhaust leak

Marc87GN

I finally have the car running well, but then I hear alot of noise in the front. I sprayed the engine with carb cleaner and didn't find any vacuum leaks. I did find a rip in the inlet tube after the MAF. The big mouth cold air kit coming will take car of that. I also cleaned the MAF and found the previous owner removed the screens.

Anyway, I removed the front left wheel( at the suggest of a few for header removal) and removed the header. I found 2 bolts were very loose and the gasket burned at cyl#1 and burned through at Cyl # 5. The normal area where it cracks between 3/5 was welded already.

I would like to install studs and locking nuts with a new gasket. I have the gasket(s), but where can I get the studs(ARP) or does anyone have any suggestions that they have tried where the headers did not leak for a while or ever again?

Do not use the gaskets. These cars never came with exhaust gaskets. Use ultra copper high temp sealant. I tried to use gaskets back in 90 when I bought my first t-type. Guess what, they burnt up. When you use the gasket sealer, make sure you let it cure as long as possible. Never had a problem this way.

Originally posted by Marc87GN
[B.............................................................................................
I would like to install studs and locking nuts with a new gasket. I have the gasket(s), but where can I get the studs(ARP) or does anyone have any suggestions that they have tried where the headers did not leak for a while or ever again? [/B]

Go to a hardware store and get some 3/8" studs. They have various lengths that work fine. I use lock washers and Felpro 1400 gaskets and they will seal great for a long while. When done this way, I have even re-used the Felpro gaskets.

After a heat cycle or 2, go back and make sure all nuts are still tight before high boost.

Thanks for the help guys. It was a little tricky getting the header out because of various brackets attached to it. I cleaned the head and the header surface with a razer blade and carb cleaner. I put on a thin coat of Ultra Copper High Temp sealant and I will wait until later today to install the header. I used it once before with my mustang and it worked great for years.

Tonight, I will see what is going on with the other side. This side clearly was in bad shape. The top bolts for cyl #1 & #3 I spun off with my hand and never used the ratchet. I wonder if this was causing my lean condition at certain rpms and load and the BLMs to be @ 150 at idle and 132-128 above 1000 roms.

Passenger header (manifold) is back on. It's easy after you do it once. Driverside bolts don't budge and they didn't install a gasket on that side so it's ok. I'm going to wait about an hour then start it up. I used thread lock blue (Medium strength) in the bolts so I hope they don't back out again. I'm ordering ARP studs and nuts to have on hand for the next time. Thanks for your help.

Marc

Sorry man,

Everything worked out well. The left side is tight as a drum and now I have to work on the elbow on the turbine housing between today and tomorrow. I would have just bought a downpipe, but the previous owner cut all of the flanges and welded the system. I also noticed the trans mount needs to be replace while installing the crossover pipe.