Ford to end Thunderbird production

GN One Day...

Bird gets axed?

Wasn't too crazy about the new ones anyway. ;) I know, not a Ford board, but I figured some would get a kick out of it, some would be interested.
"The decision isn't related to sales"
Yeah, right. ;)

Originally posted by GN One Day...
Bird gets axed?

Wasn't too crazy about the new ones anyway. ;) I know, not a Ford board, but I figured some would get a kick out of it, some would be interested.
"The decision isn't related to sales"
Yeah, right. ;)

Let's see here, ~20,000 units? Sales really good there, huh? They prolly can't build the overpriced Exploders fast enough, so where do you think the efforts will go?

I seen some dealer with 8-10 of them sitting on the lot.
It's a neat car, but I honestly don't understand why they produced it in such relatively high volumes for something that was intended to be a niche vehicle.
S.

If they were $30K Ford could sell 50K a year. Thunderbird is a blue collar, working man's "sports car". Last time I checked, those guys don't buy $40K toy cars (37K + dealer markup).

Unlike a Porsche or BMW, price is VERY important for a thunderbird buyer. Lots of people I work with LUST over the new T-bird. They also have no money for a new one. Even at $37K Ford is probably loosing money on each T-bird built.

IMHO, I think it was marketed entirely wrong. The styling and luxury were definitely on target, but it lacked in the performance department. As I see it, they priced themselves out of the market as others had mentioned. If it had the 32 valve 4.6 or even better; the super charged Cobra engine, it probably would have been a totally different outcome. Just seems ashame that they wasted all that money on tooling and design to let it go after 3 model years. Reminds me of the Fiero.