flowmaster super 40's

lieu910

I know regular Flowmasters do not work well on our cars, but the newer Super 40's flow much better or so I hear.

I can't stand my ATR's exhaust note. :mad:

How much performance would I lose by switching to Super 40's...a tenth or two?

They may flow better than regular flowmasters, but that isn't saying much.

Ultraflows.

Does anyone have any real numbers as to what they ran before and after flowmasters?

What kind of mph was gained with and without?

Did the weather stay the same on all runs or were they on different days? IE Barometer, Temp, Dew Point, etc.

Was anything else changed in regards to the tune? IE Fuel Pressure, alky, boost, etc.

Only compare muffler to muffler. Not muffler to cut out.

Did you also change your exhaust size? IE before 2 1/4 and now 3 inch

A real apples to apples comparison please.

I had a TTA with a single flowmaster the previous owner installed. It had 7psi of backpressure in the exhaust as measured just in front of the mufflers inlet. I later installed a muffler called "Flo-Pro" and it reduced it to only 4. Still a lot but it did improve from what it had. It was also much quieter. Can't remember what the car ran after that but it was faster.

flowmaster super 40

I want to try a muffler called an aero turbine. They sound incredible on the turbo diesel pickups. They have a spiral section in them. Also it is supposed to encourage spool up. On his big block pickup which he had flowmaster true dual & h pipe which was nasty loud especially at cruise. He swithced to aero turbine true dual & gained power also sounded deep but not annoying at cruise until you step into it. A local shop I go to puts them on the tdput's & they perform great. He does 3,3.5,4, & now 5 inch mandrel with the aero turbine. I am going to do either a 3 or 3.5 on my next turbo regal.

well im running a 50series flow and from all the bad talk about flowmasters on our cars i may change to someting that is not chambered and let you all know but for now it seem's ok

Wes 87 Turbo T said:
I want to try a muffler called an aero turbine. They sound incredible on the turbo diesel pickups. They have a spiral section in them. Also it is supposed to encourage spool up. On his big block pickup which he had flowmaster true dual & h pipe which was nasty loud especially at cruise. He swithced to aero turbine true dual & gained power also sounded deep but not annoying at cruise until you step into it. A local shop I go to puts them on the tdput's & they perform great. He does 3,3.5,4, & now 5 inch mandrel with the aero turbine. I am going to do either a 3 or 3.5 on my next turbo regal.

Please don't fall for all the hype. Anything that promotes backpressure beyond the turbo WILL NOT make for better HP or Torque, or spoolup for that matter, period. Your first sentence said they're supposed to be good on turbo diesel pickup, but as an example of how well they work, you quote how well they worked on somebody's big block truck. Not a fair example.

As for justabuickv6 question, well for the most part when people were switching over to flowmasters, it was quite some time back and most were switching out from the stock muffler to flowmasters. Yes, of course they see a performance gain. Practically ANY set of duals would show a gain over the one extremely restrictive stock crossflow muffler.
Where the gains are seen is when switching from fm's to a straight through designed muffler that presents little to no backpressure to the turbo.

Apples to Apples. I convince a friend about 4yrs ago to swap his flowmasters for a set of straigh thru Hooker Maxflow headers. With no other changes the car picked up 2 MPH in the 1/4. I rather run a stock muffler than a Flowmonster on a TR.

muffler

i just changed my exhaust on my 85. It had dual flows with turn downs and were 2 1/4. car was very loud and ran much better than stock.
now i just changed it out to a single 3" pipe feeding into a resonator thatg came off my 04 hemi truck. it is basically a straight thru muffler and looks like any other performance muffler. wow!! is all i can say. the car hauls ass now!! it is very,very quit at idle,sounds very mean under acceleration(low tone), and the turbo spools up almost instantly now. it actually chirps the tires in second gear now! this is a nearly completly stock 85 hot air car. as a side note: i just switched out the single in/dual out flowmaster on my 04 hemi truck to a atr pitbull 3" in 3" out with a dual adapter-wow!!!! again!!!!! the truck has picked up nearly 2 miles per gallan, is dead quit at idle,sounds like a 600hp 13.1 compression big block when you romp on it, plus i got back my low end tourqe that i lost with the flowmaster. i have always been a fm fan-but from now on its straight thru type for me-oh yeah the aero turbine sounds bas azzzzz on dodge hemi-check out there website for sound clips!!

I always wanted to try flowmasters (they sound nice) but I was always afraid of performance loss.

mufflers

TurboDave said:
Please don't fall for all the hype. Anything that promotes backpressure beyond the turbo WILL NOT make for better HP or Torque, or spoolup for that matter, period. Your first sentence said they're supposed to be good on turbo diesel pickup, but as an example of how well they work, you quote how well they worked on somebody's big block truck. Not a fair example.

As for justabuickv6 question, well for the most part when people were switching over to flowmasters, it was quite some time back and most were switching out from the stock muffler to flowmasters. Yes, of course they see a performance gain. Practically ANY set of duals would show a gain over the one extremely restrictive stock crossflow muffler.
Where the gains are seen is when switching from fm's to a straight through designed muffler that presents little to no backpressure to the turbo.

Well I know what your saying. But the muffler I am talking about is a straight thru design. Not any chambers in the muffler as the flowmaster had to increase sound tones for a performance sound & increase backpressure. On the turbo diesels they do greatly improve turbo spool up & give a nice idle sound & a deep throaty sound under acceleration. I was hoping & speculating that that muffler would work well on a turbo car. I know of a few guys with srt 4 neons that replaced the factory exhaust which only has resonators in it with the aero turbine & improved performance & sound. Just an alternative for the typical droning sound that alot of mufflers get in the turbo cars like ours.

I totally understand the Flowmaster dilemna for the GNs.

I changed my stainless Ultraflows to stainless Flowmasters. Yeah Yeah I know the Ultras gained me a tenth or so....Big Deal. Unless you are racing non stop on the street every time you take your ride out then go with what sounds good to you.

I prefer the unmatched sound of the Flowmaster ever second I'm driving (one of) my Gns. :cool:

RobsIron said:
I totally understand the Flowmaster dilemna for the GNs.

I changed my stainless Ultraflows to stainless Flowmasters. Yeah Yeah I know the Ultras gained me a tenth or so....Big Deal. Unless you are racing non stop on the street every time you take your ride out then go with what sounds good to you.

I prefer the unmatched sound of the Flowmaster ever second I'm driving (one of) my Gns. :cool:

I agree. Big deal if you lose a 10 hp. Turn the boost up another pound. To me, the pit bulls sound awful and it's not worth the gains on a street car like mine.

Again, the Super 40's flow much better than regular Flowmasters so it most likely will not even be noticeable. I am going to do it and I'll report back to you guys.

Anyone want some brand new 2 1/2 pit bulls????????????????

I have no complaints with my Flowmaster. My GN is for street use only so I'll take the best sound over a couple MPH.

If you have not done so already, make a test pipe and ditch the CAT. Now that's where I picked up the biggest gains.