flowmaster mufflers

boost jnky

just got the new issue of high tech performance,and dick kerenys car went 8.95 at 156 mph with 3" flowmasters and other mods. i know this topic might have been covered before but im thinking they cant be all that bad. what do yall think?

It comes down to preference. People have ran 8s with other mufflers too. I have the hooker system, come with aerochamber mufflers. Not only do they contribute to the power levels, but they have an amazing sound to them as wel. just my .02

i think it depends on which mufflers u get from flowmaster! u have the kit made for buicks(normally 80 series), and then u have exhaust kits that feature flowmaster mufflers(normally original 40 series)!
17102.jpg

eighty series crap!
cutaway_40_series.jpg

much more free flowing original 40's

my car has 3" torque tech pipes with two 3" 40 series muffs and when i open my dump my boost stays the same, which normally indicates a free flowing exhaust! everyone has their opinions though!:D

I think most of the street Flowmaster mufflers are tuned with back pressure.
This is not what you want for a turbo application.
The race mufflers might work, but would probably be to loud for a street car.

just got the new issue of high tech performance,and dick kerenys car went 8.95 at 156 mph with 3" flowmasters and other mods. i know this topic might have been covered before but im thinking they cant be all that bad. what do yall think?

I really rather doubt that at the H.P. level that Dick's at, that flowmasters will have quite the detrimental affect that they have on street tuned cars like ours. That's not a fair comparison at all.
And on top of that, I'm betting the FM's he's running are special race versions of something less than 2 chambers, or possibly none.
He's likely running a 1 chamber just to comply with "mufflers required" rules that many tracks are adopting.

When you're at the 300-400 hp level that we run at ANY post turbo restriction to the flow will have a detrimental affect on power levels. Even the 40 series, just take a look at the interior. The flow has to make two "more than 180°" turns and a couple 90's to get out of the case. Not good. Well, good for N/A cars.

I wouldn't recomend even running 40's. But if you insist on have the flowmaster mistique on your car, get the two chamber race versions, at least you'll minimize your horsepower losses.

I honestly wish there was a nice flowing stock style set up, but I've heard nothing but bad about the Flowmaster system for 10 years now, you'd think they would change it up since it doesn't seem to sell well at all either.

I honestly wish there was a nice flowing stock style set up, but I've heard nothing but bad about the Flowmaster system for 10 years now, you'd think they would change it up since it doesn't seem to sell well at all either.

Flowmaster sells just fine. Just not in our tiny little Turbo Regal community. They can sell by the 10's of thousands every year to the rest of the world.

Flowmaster sells just fine. Just not in our tiny little Turbo Regal community. They can sell by the 10's of thousands every year to the rest of the world.

:confused:

I know Flowmaster sells well, but they have a bad reputation for TR's and haven't done anything to change it. And online and in local sales papers, they are not on many cars I see.

He's likely running a 1 chamber just to comply with "mufflers required" rules that many tracks are adopting.

I wouldn't recomend even running 40's. But if you insist on have the flowmaster mistique on your car, get the two chamber race versions, at least you'll minimize your horsepower losses.

Im running dual 3" single chambers 10 series flowmasters(with dumps b4 axel), off my 3.5" DP and 3.5" metallic substrate cat(300 cell). Waiting on my cat to arrive then ill make my own exhaust set up. All stainless steel to boot.

I had the dual 2.5", 40 series-2 chamber(with dumps too) with 3" DP and 3" ceramic cat, I loved how it sounded. Im looking forward to see what my new set up sounds like :) ;) ;) Reason for me posting was to say, I just dont agree their reputation is hurting for GN owners, many GN owners like the sound and then again many people dont. But I love my FM's! I went from hookers--->dynomax--->cherrybomb--->flowmasters--->and now
the 10 series single chamber flowmasters.

If people run the "bullet" style mufflers, I wonder if anyone has tried the "outlaw" series. Exactly like a bullet muffler but just made by FM. Anyways havn't posted in awhile just thought I stop by and say hello. Wish us luck in Cali with all these fires!!

XxDarkSidexX

Im running dual 3" single chambers 10 series flowmasters(with dumps b4 axel), off my 3.5" DP and 3.5" metallic substrate cat(300 cell). Waiting on my cat to arrive then ill make my own exhaust set up. All stainless steel to boot.

I had the dual 2.5", 40 series-2 chamber(with dumps too) with 3" DP and 3" ceramic cat, I loved how it sounded. Im looking forward to see what my new set up sounds like :) ;) ;) Reason for me posting was to say, I just dont agree their reputation is hurting for GN owners, many GN owners like the sound and then again many people dont. But I love my FM's! I went from hookers--->dynomax--->cherrybomb--->flowmasters--->and now
the 10 series single chamber flowmasters.

If people run the "bullet" style mufflers, I wonder if anyone has tried the "outlaw" series. Exactly like a bullet muffler but just made by FM. Anyways havn't posted in awhile just thought I stop by and say hello. Wish us luck in Cali with all these fires!!

XxDarkSidexX

well at least im not alone in here!!! when i ran through my muffs at the track i ran a 12.393 @115.03 2.015 60ft, uncapped next run, changed nothing, car ran 12.376 @115.26 1.996 60ft! my time difference came from the 60ft and that was .02sec!

i love the sound too, but i never heard the 10 series muffs! do u have a video or sound clip of those?

well i was just curious, i have always loved the sound of them on my mustang.but everyone says they are bad for our turbo cars and to see him run that good with them i was just wondering what he or anyone else has done differnt, cause i like them.:)

well i was just curious, i have always loved the sound of them on my mustang.but everyone says they are bad for our turbo cars and to see him run that good with them i was just wondering what he or anyone else has done differnt, cause i like them.:)

yea i love the sound too! i have a few things i need to do to my car so maybe i'll take a video and put it on youtube of it idlin from the back of the car so u can hear it!

i think the problem with the flowmaster muffs is with all there new delta flow technology, if u do get flowmasters get a race muff or what i have original 40series two chamber!:)

yea i love the sound too! i have a few things i need to do to my car so maybe i'll take a video and put it on youtube of it idlin from the back of the car so u can hear it!

i think the problem with the flowmaster muffs is with all there new delta flow technology, if u do get flowmasters get a race muff or what i have original 40series two chamber!:)

Do you have a part # for those 40 series? Are yours offset in center out? I need some new ones.

My car came with flowmasters and I like them too. My car runs strong. I'm thinking they are 2 chamber. They are like 13" long and that seems to be consistant with the 2 chamber fm's I'm seeing in the catalogs.

Do you have a part # for those 40 series? Are yours offset in center out? I need some new ones.

My car came with flowmasters and I like them too. My car runs strong. I'm thinking they are 2 chamber. They are like 13" long and that seems to be consistant with the 2 chamber fm's I'm seeing in the catalogs.

i cant remember off the top of my head...the kit on there is from when my dad owned the car! probably 8-10 years old. i can check on that too when i work on the car hopefully!

I'll probably get in trouble with the tech section mods for this, but:
Just as "Trix are for kids and ***** are for chicks, Flowmasters are for Fords"
There, it's that simple.

I'll probably get in trouble with the tech section mods for this, but:
Just as "Trix are for kids and ***** are for chicks, Flowmasters are for Fords"
There, it's that simple.

No arguement from this end. :cool: