Flattened bearing / Am i about to get screwed? / How big a mistake did I make?

Your car could have been on the verge of a spun bearing but it does sound like the shop found your weakest link.

Post pics of corner of timing cover. If timing cover was off it will be evident. Also if bearing was shot it would've been evident immediately upon pulling the pan when re-sealing. At that point the owner should have been called. I've seen plenty of junk engines come through and the owner had no clue. I've been blamed plenty of times for the service engine soon light coming on in obd II cars. Yeah I served your brakes because the linings were gone and now you have a p0420 code so it's my fault. Look at the pic below. A friend sent me this yesterday. The only complaint was that the abs light was on! This type of thing is so common these days.

A buddy of mine had a shop and it was funny some of the things people will say or blame you for. He did a brake job on a guy's old truck then told him ever since he left the shop the fuel gauge didn't work. My body found that the connections were rusted off and still fixed it for him for free. He than had some woman who's car had 500k on it say that ever since she left his shop the car started acting up. I guess the milage had nothing to do with it!:D

one time racing John Martin in columbus I detonated mine and didnt spin but flattened a rod bearing .All I did to fix it was resize the rod and installed new bearings,polished the crank. Ask to see the bearing they took out .they ran your car hard and didnt lift when it was knocking probablyI always disconnect the wastegate when i drop my car off anywhere

Disconnect the waste gate great
Idea i thought one of the chip
Guys tt or bailey also had a valet
Mode.

robzombie said:
Bob sells chips with valet, I had one.

Ive "fixed" a couple cars that had the valet and the owner couldn't figure out WTF was going on. Haha

Looks like they used a nylon abrasive wheel on the pan rail. That's a no no. The small pieces of nylon will enter the crankcase. Absolutely no abrasives should be used anywhere near an open crankcase or air intake ever.

x2 looks like they hit it with a roloc disc. I learned this was a no no years ago doing intake gaskets on the vortec 5.7 motors. I usually don't use anything but a scraper and a red scotchbrite when cleaning gasket surfaces.

Picture 1202.jpg

Picture 1173.jpg

HouTX87 said:
x2 looks like they hit it with a roloc disc. I learned this was a no no years ago doing intake gaskets on the vortec 5.7 motors. I usually don't use anything but a scraper and a red scotchbrite when cleaning gasket surfaces.

Scotchbrite is dangerous too but at least you can control it. The ro loc wheels throw shit everywhere

Don't go back there ever again. Go to one of the vendors here shops or ask a fellow member here to help you out. You pretty much wasted money at a shop that had no business doing certain things with your car. I despise to hell and back all stealerships. Anything related to stealerships and chain mechanic shops....etc. If I get a bad feeling or a bad vibe with the owner and some of the workers, I walk away.

I can't speak for all shops and all technicians but I work for a chevy dealer and as a tech I can say we go above and beyond to make the customer happy. If we make a mistake, we fix it and we eat it. I will also say that we rarely take in anything very old or high mileage within reason, unless it's a repeat customer because on old cars things break, especially when you start moving things around under the hood. I know this doesn't constitute a flattened main bearing.

I can't speak for all shops and all technicians but I work for a chevy dealer and as a tech I can say we go above and beyond to make the customer happy. If we make a mistake, we fix it and we eat it. I will also say that we rarely take in anything very old or high mileage within reason, unless it's a repeat customer because on old cars things break, especially when you start moving things around under the hood. I know this doesn't constitute a flattened main bearing.
I agree with you my friend, I also am a dealership tech. Lots of choices out there if we piss off a customer.......

Could they have used sealant on the timing housing, which "squeezed" into the filtered oil gallery? From there it will plug the oil feed to some part of the engine; in this case your #5 rod bearing.

I see this from time to time on the 3.8 front-wheel-drive engines, after shoddy timing chain or water pump jobs where silicone was used on the gasket. For some reason usually it gets the #5 or #6 rod bearings. And as they found out, replacing the bearing will not fix it because the oil flow is severely reduced to that one bearing.

Just a thought.

I would ask them for all of the old parts they replaced, and you might want to also remove the oil pump pickup since it looks like there is some material on the screen. These used parts might help you in legal matter if it goes that far