Fixed Upgraded Fuel System - Car Runs Worse??

I KNEW IT HAD TO BE SOMETHING STUPID!! VACUUM LINE FROM UP AROUND FUEL RAIL GOING TO VAPOR CANISTER OF ALL PLACES???

Pulled it out of it's coffin and took her for a spin. Decided to turn around at the local filling station. All of a sudden, I'm getting cat calls and whistles from younger girls (I say girls, 20-30 somethings)? I'm not even sure how they know what this car even is, but, they're giving me the thumbs up and stuff. And I know it can't be me, because my hair is curled up mess and I'm wearing shorts, flops and an old fishing shirt. LOL! This car may be a total pain in my A$$, but, man do I ever love this thing!!!

It's still not 100% as I am still having secondary spark issues (or so it seems). As it doesn't want to build boost at all. However, it is at least running, driving and idling half way decent. So now I'm off to hook up the scanmaster and see what kinds of codes it has awaiting me!!

I see a large red wire, a small red, and a large blu w/ a crimp connector on it..
Where do these go? They look like "add ons".
Also, that plastic vac line and 90* nipple on the FPR, are not tie wrapped. Trace that plastic line, and see if it's cracked.
Trim the loose harness wrap off, so we can see where the wiring is going.

I have a fire extinguisher ready for the flames that are sure to come with this one! In that, I wanted to show my zip tied nipple (to see if this is the one your talking about)??

Image1465054683.441821.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back out that brass nipple and put some liquid sealer on them. My old Accuflub had a bad seal with those threads

OK,

Mr Earl Brown was right on the money!! As he said it was translator that needed adjusting! Sure enough it's straight now (helps to read the directions huh)?? And yes it was translator.

The fuel pressure had somehow wondered south from first setting up the Accufab regulator. Like way south (as in 30 pounds at idle). So set it to 43 with the line off and you could literally hear the car clear up! No joke I could hear the idle get smoother as fuel was added!

Couldn't make a good test hit today because it was raining. However, you can wot with no knock at all. Oh yeah, the Scanmaster is up and running and the car does need a new 02 sensor.

I also need to set the throttle up with the Scanmaster (as per the tuning instructions). But, I'm one more happy camper right now as it is running as it should again! Amazing!

The car still doesn't feel 100% as it is not slamming the boost down like it used to. However, I'm assuming (hoping) that's because it needs a new 02!

Guys I can't thank you enough! This board is freaking awesome! You guys know your shizen and u are all so helpful! Kudos to all!! And again thanks so much!

Man I love this car!!!!

Hopefully setting the throttle

Just a curious newcomer to all this so forgive the silly question. How do you know you need a new 02 sensor?

Just a curious newcomer to all this so forgive the silly question. How do you know you need a new 02 sensor?
Inconsistent Scanmaster 02 codes and the readings themselves (which I can't even recall what they were now - as Im a bit of a newb myself and we had just hooked it up). My buddy however is very familiar and he knew exactly what it was saying.

On the ''CC'' screen the snanmaster will show how many times the O2 told the ECM to adjust fueling in the 1.4 second window it reports. If those numbers don't jump a pretty good bit every time, the O2 has gotten lazy.

The O2 millivolts defaut screen should basically look like it's going nuts at cruise.

one wold think I'd get tired of being right all the time....

...but i never do :)

Lol! You were spot on here for sure!

Here's a new riddle for you. Now that I know the turbo is not stock which chip should I be running (until I can determine TE 44 or what and burn a new one)? In that, I know that the old school chip I had was written for that turbo and the extended Slic.

Whereas my new chip was burned for a stock turbo with a fattened up fuel system. As I just added flow matched 65 pte's, Walbro 255, Accufab, hot wire kit, 3.5" maf (not sure which one now) with translator and I'm sure I've missed something.

Obviously I'm not going to be dogging on it as I don't want to hurt anything. And I won't be driving it much. However, it takes a couple weeks to do the chip deal and all. So just curious as to which one is best in the mean time?

On a side note the new tune / chip doesn't have near the balls that the old one did. As that thing hit hard with the old chip. And now it ramps up real slow and steady. Still pulls good, but, it used to be, BAM / instant turn on! And if you took off with no boost off the line it would do a light powdering of the tires and take off. At about 50-60 feet out or so, it'd start coming on hard and the tires would usually ignite about then.

Granted I've not been hammering on it as I've only driven it in the rain so far. So i have no clue. But it sure doesn't feel like it did before that's for sure.

Hmm, I wonder if that old chip has a reference to the turbo on it?

I don't think a TE44 .vs stock would be that much different chip wise. Not a night and day thing. I'm guessing your old chip a more timing in it than todays gas will tolerate. That's just a guess based on the old school parts you have and the fact gas seems to get worse and worse as time goes by.

Keep in mine, blowing the tires off isn't faster than a straight flat torque curve that comes on soft enough to the chassis to plant it.

Then again, I get moist every time I knock my 295's loose running over 60, so what do I know? :)

I don't think a TE44 .vs stock would be that much different chip wise. Not a night and day thing. I'm guessing your old chip a more timing in it than todays gas will tolerate. That's just a guess based on the old school parts you have and the fact gas seems to get worse and worse as time goes by.

Keep in mine, blowing the tires off isn't faster than a straight flat torque curve that comes on soft enough to the chassis to plant it.

Then again, I get moist every time I knock my 295's loose running over 60, so what do I know? :)

Ok sounds good then.

I did upgrade back tires since then too as I went from some old Hoosier 235-60's to Nitto 555's in 275/50/15. So it had been doing much better in that regard as well. Cause you are right spinning ain't winning! But i sure can't keep from grinning every time it decides to make over powering displays (in the ass end) myself!!!!

Last edited:
Ok sounds good then.

I did upgrade back tires since then too as I went from some old Hoosier 235-60's to Nitto 555's in 275/50/15. So it had been doing much better in that regard as well. Cause you are right spinning ain't winning! But i sure can't keep from grinning every time it decides to make ass end over powering displays myself!!!!

For some strange reason when I step on it from 30/40 mph, my back tires make a cool squealing sound . The last time that happened the back of the car tried to catch the front. Like you Earl, I can't help getting this silly grin.