Fixed Rear Main, now runs like crap

Glenn_A

like the title says...also changed the drivers header. This is an old 87 bone stocker I've been bringing back to life:rolleyes: . I decided to change the rear main seals, which went well but a ton of work to do it properly. Changed the valve cover gaskets and then fired it for the first time in about 3-4 months and it runs like royal crap....car ran well covered in 22 year old soot and coked oil.....kinda thought the plug wires were outta sinc. Double checked them and even changed them along with the pak, but still runs crappy like it's outta timing or something.....What the hell???:confused: ....guess I'll take it down to Bill Anderson

You might check the ignition module conection.When you took the drivers side valve cover off theres a good chance you bumped it.Could be loose or dirty.Some times the pin receivers need to be tightened up a bit.Had that happen on mine once.Found out after i'd installed a new module.

check that the spark plug wires went back to correct plugs

really easy to mixup the 2-4 and 3-5 since wires are about same length

running crappy

checked and double checked....found that the wastegate solenoid on the pass valve cover was left unplugged, but when I plugged in same, the car still runs crappy:mad:

nc. Double checked them and even changed them along with the pak, but still runs crappy like it's outta timing or something.....What the hell???:confused: ....guess I'll take it down to Bill Anderson

Any chance of getting the wires from the ignition mod. to the coil pack mixed up in the swap?

leak

yeah, it's got a bad drivers side exhaust leak...in the middle of fixing that now...wouldn't have believed a leak would make it run that bad.....

run

....and the lucky winner with the correct diagnostic is T Type Tim with the exhaust leak. I took the drivers pipes off added a new header gasket , religned the crossover pipe and now it purrs like a good kitty......as always the membership on this site always looks out for one another;)

....and the lucky winner with the correct diagnostic is T Type Tim with the exhaust leak. I took the drivers pipes off added a new header gasket , religned the crossover pipe and now it purrs like a good kitty......as always the membership on this site always looks out for one another;)

well damnit!:biggrin: