Oil leak - Rear main or oil pan gasket?

MSUGTP

Good afternoon, I'm in the process of fixing what I thought was a leaking rear main seal and after removing the oil pan and flex plate cover I'm thinking that the rear main seal is fine but the culprit is a leaking oil pan gasket. It looks like the rear main seal has been done before and the flex plate right behind it is bone dry. I figured if it was the seal the flex plate would be covered in oil. The oil pan gasket is rubber which I believe need regular retorquing. What do the experts think?

I need to do this exact thing. I think both of mine are to blame for all the oil underneath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are right. A bunch of silicone has been squeezed into the side grooves and there is no evidence of oil on the flex plate. I would cut the excess silicone off the cap and use a thick cork gasket.

The oil pan gasket is rubber
No silicone on the rubber gasket. Makes it slippery, and will slide about, when torque is applied.
Also, check the pan holes for being caved in, due to excessive torque. Caved in = leaks.
Check to be sure the oil's not coming from the back of the valve covers, intake manifold,
Clean things up, put dye check in the oil, and have a look.

Took another look at the oil pan, the bumps on the oil pan mating surface aren't caved in and there is a light film of oil & dirt on most of the oil pan. I've got a Cometic oil pan gasket that I'll be installing when the pan goes back on, rubber gasket is going in the garbage.

Good choice. The cometic gasket is the best. The rubber gasket is the worst.

Yep, don't think I've read a single good thing about the rubber gasket. Did the rear main seal this morning following Steve V's youtube video and all went smoothly.