Finally ready to buy my first GN

A list of mods might help to justify the 14k asking price but just going by your observations it would be a pass for me (although hard to say without some pics to see the condition for myself). If 14k is within your means, that should get you a nice car with a working a/c and no flaking paint. The non-working a/c could turn out to be an easy fix or it could be a 1k fix and I'm sure you know how much bodywork costs if you're not doing it yourself...Be sure to save some money for repairs/replacement parts. 26 year old cars are ALWAYS in need of something no matter what the seller tells you, even in your price range. The best advice has been mentioned many times over in this thread...take your time. Rushing into a purchase will bring disappointment more times than not, guaranteed.

Kirban has a book called 'KIRBAN'S GUIDE TO BUYING A USED 1986 and 1987 BUICK TURBO REGAL'. Some of the info may be outdated as it is 13 years old now but it still has a lot of good info in there for someone new to purchasing these cars. If you want, PM me your info and I'll send it to you as long as you return it when you're done or you can purchase your own copy off his website. The best would be to take an experienced member shopping with you. Good luck with your search.

Now that I've had time to put everything into perspective, I'm not feeling so hot about the deal. I was forgetting one of the things I told myself I wouldn't settle for in the beginning. Needing bodywork and/or paint.

Even if I could get it at a lower price(seller says he's negotiable, but not much), I don't think I'd want to. I'm willing to pay for a car with a nice paint job and nice body, and want to do it right the first time(as was suggested in this thread).

Here are the mods and pics...
It also comes with the stock wheels, another transmission, and another turbocharger.
-Kenne Bell air dam only on DS side
-airbag in RR spring
-walbro pump
-chip for more boost
-blue stripe injectors
-alky with controller in the cockpit
-scanmaster
-draglites(or welds)
-built trans(seller says it's not a 200r4)
-big K/N filter on intake pipe
-t49 turbo
-3" downpipe to 2.5 inch duals
-boost gauge on pillar pod
-torque strap

160k for 14k has the timing chain been replaced, valve springs, ask how old the fuel pump is. If you get a not sure answer definitely keep moving. If I was selling my car I would be able to talk your ear off about everything that was replaced or done. If you come across a seller and they say the last owner did everything or they are not sure keep looking. Good luck

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Just caught this thread.....Not trying to plug my book its worth the read...its based on me buying over 300 of these cars. Info well worth it. Its going to be tricky to find one in the 8-10 grand range. Buy as close to stock as you can otherwise you have a potential nitemare for your mechanic to figure out what the previous owner has done.

Without upsetting T-Top owners in the price range you seek stick with a hardtop. Unless you are efficent at curing water leaks.

Original paint even if faded and cracked is a better car in the long run than one with a cheapo paint job.

Rust will be present somewhere since GM never painted driveshafts rear ends etc....pay particular attention to the back half of the car and the frame area after the rear wheels.

good luck on your venture....the thrill can be in the search...the payoff is not getting burned.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Now that I've had time to put everything into perspective, I'm not feeling so hot about the deal. I was forgetting one of the things I told myself I wouldn't settle for in the beginning. Needing bodywork and/or paint.

Even if I could get it at a lower price(seller says he's negotiable, but not much), I don't think I'd want to. I'm willing to pay for a car with a nice paint job and nice body, and want to do it right the first time(as was suggested in this thread).

Here are the mods and pics...
It also comes with the stock wheels, another transmission, and another turbocharger.
-Kenne Bell air dam only on DS side
-airbag in RR spring
-walbro pump
-chip for more boost
-blue stripe injectors
-alky with controller in the cockpit
-scanmaster
-draglites(or welds)
-built trans(seller says it's not a 200r4)
-big K/N filter on intake pipe
-t49 turbo
-3" downpipe to 2.5 inch duals
-boost gauge on pillar pod
-torque strap

Stay away from this car. Too many mods and based on the crappy gas pedal, crappy shifter and a shitty radio, seller did not pay much attention to this car. I might be wrong, but my gut feeling tells me this car has issues.

When I bought my car, I was brand new to Turbo Buicks. So I found a reputable mechanic in the area (Jim Dunn from Buick Turbo Performance) and had him look at the car before I bought it. I was able to talk the seller into driving to Jim's place, but if he didn't agree I was willing to pay Jim for his time to go with me to look at a car.

Find someone on this board who is reputable and in your area and take them along. Few bucks or few cases of beer might go a long way. These cars are very expensive to fix, especially if you don't have a trustworthy mechanic.

I paid $7k for a unmolested 87 WE4 with ORIGINAL 54k miles.

There's a limited that was put up for sale here in January by board member Jeff bruggamen out of Joplin, mo.. I don't know how to provide a link otherwise I would but maybe that would interest you, think he was asking $7500 and has 130k plus miles ..

I decided to pass on the car(thank you ALL for saving me from a 14,ooo mistake). Surely, I would have pulled the trigger because I wouldn't have known better if not for the replies in this thread. The seller did not appreciate it and the phone call between him and I got tense. Sorry guy, but why is it my fault? Gas money to go look at the car was money well spent, IMO. Also, HUGE thanks to megawatt and turbo39151.

Thanks for the reply Dennis...I've decided to stick with a hardtop car and a GN. Nothing against the other models...but I want to own a piece of the GN pie. Also, I upped my budget to 14K. I hope this will get me a really nice example(not looking for perfection of course) that I won't be afraid to take for a spin every now and then. Found a nice one on Gulfport, Ms craigslist with new paint for 14Kobo, but still trying to figure if I want to travel that far.

Also, I don't mind any work as long as it's not body/paint work. I'm good for interior work and mechanical work(though my experience is with Fords...but look forward to learning about these motors hands on).

LIVE4RDO: Without saying anything bad about the car, some things didn't add up. He said it's never been raced. Take that how you will...

Just a thought if you keep looking on Craigslist you will more likely find more of the same type of cars and sellers. Keep your eye open on here in the car for sale section. Just remember just cause people mod there turbo Buicks that does not always translate to an increase in value. It's always better to find one if these cars cheaper than what your budget is. Most of these cars will need upgrades to get them running right
Fuel pump, chip, exhaust leak fixed, suspension, gauges and scan master. .

I decided to pass on the car(thank you ALL for saving me from a 14,ooo mistake). Surely, I would have pulled the trigger because I wouldn't have known better if not for the replies in this thread. The seller did not appreciate it and the phone call between him and I got tense. Sorry guy, but why is it my fault? Gas money to go look at the car was money well spent, IMO. Also, HUGE thanks to megawatt and turbo39151.

Thanks for the reply Dennis...I've decided to stick with a hardtop car and a GN. Nothing against the other models...but I want to own a piece of the GN pie. Also, I upped my budget to 14K. I hope this will get me a really nice example(not looking for perfection of course) that I won't be afraid to take for a spin every now and then. Found a nice one on Gulfport, Ms craigslist with new paint for 14Kobo, but still trying to figure if I want to travel that far.

Also, I don't mind any work as long as it's not body/paint work. I'm good for interior work and mechanical work(though my experience is with Fords...but look forward to learning about these motors hands on).

LIVE4RDO: Without saying anything bad about the car, some things didn't add up. He said it's never been raced. Take that how you will...

That car over here in Gulfport is nice but the interior needs work and the motor runs but the car needs front end work. The guy will negotiate with you but he want be reasonable...

That car over here in Gulfport is nice but the interior needs work and the motor runs but the car needs front end work. The guy will negotiate with you but he want be reasonable...

Yeah, some steering components need replacement(tie rod ends, idler arm or pitman arm). He also stated that the trunk lid was swapped out due to rust before the new paint job...and a door(not sure which door) was replaced due to rust. I asked if he had the old trunk(for the RPO sticker) and he said he doubted it. As suggested by turbo39151, no RPO sticker may hurt a future sale if I were forced into it. He sounded like a real cool guy, but not well versed on his car.

Yea I passes on the car. He's asking to much for it and its not worth what he's willing to take...

depending on mods that will run the price up in a hurry . Also don't fool yourself for a second with what some of these guys are saying about finding a t type a lot cheaper than a gn. It all depends on what has been done to the car and a lot of times the Ts have more done than the GNs do because they are sleepers lol. It would take 18500 to even make me consider parting with mine and thats giving it away . I have over 24000 in mine last time I added up stuff :) Of course mine has all new interior, totally built motor and a brian hofer trans in it. The rear end was also built with hr bars holding it in the car. It adds up faster than you realize
Good luck on your hunt though !

I have to admit...since I already have the hard part done(getting the money), I thought I'd be able to find a car pretty quickly since there are many to choose from. I've learned that you HAVE to be picky(or nit-pick as the last guy accused me of being) when you're spending this kind of dough. People will conveniently leave out details which makes the buying process even more stressful. I will find my car at some point, but won't get in a hurry by letting this money burn a hole in my pocket.

Yeah don't get in a hurry and be picky but be realistic also. Don't expect a 25000 dollar car for 5 grand or the other way around. I wish I had been more ticky lol. I got my T for 6500 and it looked great, ran like a demon but 3 months later I was doing a motor because of a cam lobe going out and the rest is history . The only up side is I know what I have exactly and not quessing

After 2 months of searching, I finally found one I was satisfied with. It's not perfect, but I was never looking for perfection in the first place. A nice driver quality car, needing minor work, that I can make my own. This car is an 86 hardtop with new paint. It was 180 miles away. Inside, it needs seat covers, DS power seat parts, power locks fixed, and a dash plaque, and two front floormats. Other than that, it's really nice with a new headliner. Outside, it needs the power antenna replaced, both sides window seal weatherstripping, fuel pump, and new gas tank(pump crapped out on drive home and tank sprung a leak). The seller included some extra parts as well. Has a few light mods. 155K miles and runs and shifts really well.

86gn1_zpse030d9a7.jpg

After 2 months of searching, I finally found one I was satisfied with. It's not perfect, but I was never looking for perfection in the first place. A nice driver quality car, needing minor work, that I can make my own. This car is an 86 hardtop with new paint. It was 180 miles away. Inside, it needs seat covers, DS power seat parts, power locks fixed, and a dash plaque, and two front floormats. Other than that, it's really nice with a new headliner. Outside, it needs the power antenna replaced, both sides window seal weatherstripping, fuel pump, and new gas tank(pump crapped out on drive home and tank sprung a leak). The seller included some extra parts as well. Has a few light mods. 155K miles and runs and shifts really well.

Congrats on the search being over and Welcome to the 5512
Glad you made it home safe, Hope you get things squared away concerning the fuel tank issue.