Finally ready to buy my first GN

6gunn

high on gas fumes
So, I guess I'm stepping into some new ground here. Never had a GM before, much less a GN. I'm in the dark, so I hope you all will help me out. Been here since 2003, but haven't felt motivated to learn much about these cars. Now that I'm ready to buy one, I want to see what I'm getting into. I know they're a desired car(among thieves) and that's a huge turnoff, but owning a GN is literally on my bucket list...so I might as well deal with it. I have an attached garage, so that helps...and will go through some extra security measures.

This thread will give a little more info about what I'm looking for...but I guess my price range is too low, huh? http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/daily-driver-86-87-gn-in-southeast.397499/
Question 1) What would 8G get me?
Question 2) What would I expect to pay for the car that I'm looking for?

BTW, I've searched prices and searched first time questions. I wish there was a sticky somewhere detailing info for a first time buyer(including prices). If there is a thread like that, I missed it.

First, welcome to the sickness. Having owned three of these cars, I certainly understand the desire to buy one. With that said, the best advise I can give is to read this board religiously and make some friends in your area of local Turbo Buick owners. Only then would I make my purchase. While not initially expensive, they can nickel and dime you to death.

Regarding your price range, $8k might get you a pretty decent T-Type/Turbo T, but only a so-so GN. You're going to either need to bump your figure up to $12-15k or that $8k initial buy will turn into $12-15k over a very short time with items that need attention. The keys are to find a really solid body/frame and paint as it's not hard to spend $10k there. Then the motor//trans. That varies depends on how the car has been driven/taken care of and how much of a monster you want going forward.

Best of luck with your search.

Regards,
John

Agreed a decent gn is in the 12k range. Decent meaning not a show stunner but not a p.o.s. either. And sometimes you get lucky. Dont rushbit bc its ya first gn. I waited 3+ months to find mine but I was looking for something specific. Def stick to clean little rust as possible cars. I would alsobstay away from cars thatbhave been modded. Some may disagree. And yes these cars will drain your pockets faster than aanything else. If youre used mustangs etc where parts are easy and cheaper you maybe in for a surprise but its all worth it. These cars are addictive and def stand out at any cruise/show

Have you been over to Gnttype.org yet? If I remember right there's a "buyers guide" over there that should help you out. Kirbans also has a book with the same info. Since you've been here for so long, what kind of car are you looking for? Stock, slightly modified, or balls to the walls? Depending on what you want to do with it will depend on cost of it.;)

Look for a 40 to 60 k mile orig car. Stock
One or 2 owner.
Advice is great. But your gut is better.
U have been a member here for quite some time. And u know every ones advice is different.
you are buying it no one else. Take your time there out there. I bought we4 for 3grand. Last year with 41k on it
Good luck on your hunt
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1372484804826.jpg
    1372484804826.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 162
Its like any other car...for the most part. There is something about discovering rust that is 10x worse than mechanical problems, that's just my opinion-and its not just cost as mechanical repairs are no slouch in the $ department, and I prefer autobody work over engine work any day on top of that if that makes sense.

I bought a super low mile car, there are gauges installed which I thought were hokey but am glad they are there now, also the cat back exhaust was done as well as I believe the fuel hot wire kit and a couple other things these cars need. The thing I wish was done would be the vacuum brake conversion. After I get the header issue figured out I will need to install a scanmaster too. These are all things I didn't know needed to be done on these cars. So I would look at these as a bonus even for a garage queen.

I've always wanted one of these cars, I can't say for certain I'd do it all over again maybe I'd buy something else but now that I'm in I'm going forward and not really really complaining. I've had to stall getting it on the road because of some issues and the cost of taking care of them.

Thanks for the replies, it's very helpful.
I'd like a stock car. I don't have a desire to modify anything...but would make improvements(hotwire for example) without feeling like I'm taking the originality away from the car. Though, if it is lightly modded, then that's ok too. Good point about not being in a rush...easy to make bad decisions that way. Nah, I'm in no hurry. Still turned off by the fact that I'll pretty much have to hide the car from public view. Not looking forward to that and it might be too stressful for me. IDK.

I'll poke around at gnttype.org...thanks for the link.

You won't like a stock car. It will feel slow. Seriously. Unless you are a collector or a purist, everyone mods them in one way or another.

Patience is key, I searched for almost 2 years before I found mine ( a little Luck goes a long way also ). Your in a good part of the country for searching, I was looking all over Ga, Tn, Va and the Carolina's ended up finding one a little over an hour away. If you haven't already start hanging out with some Turbo Regal owners in your area they can help you with how to spot things to look for when you go to look at one or they might even offer to go with you.
Also don't worry about going to look at one a little over your price range, you don't go in there as a "low baller" trying for a steal, but if your genuine and go in there with this is all I have right now sometimes you find their lowest price is in your range. (cash in hand works wonders)

Best of Luck on your search.

Good point on getting a better deal with cash in hand. There is no BS tire kicking on my end. No "Ok, I'll take it! Just give me a few months so I can save up the money". Nope, the money is in the bank waiting. Also, great tip about looking at a GN over my price range. As of now, I'm just skipping over all the ads that are more than I want to spend. Guess it doesnt hurt to ask...
I don't even have any "in" to get with the TR guys in this area. I've owned 30+/- vehicles...none newer than 1988 and 1 was a Dodge and the rest were Fords. I'd be the odd one out for sure.
John, stock is ok even if it's slow. The car will likely be a garage ornament alongside of my grey Turbocoupe. The black TC is my speed fix. 2.5 stroker/strapped/Esslinger ADI crank/crower sportsmans/filled block(hardblok)/alum head-2277 cam/96# inj/meth/ect...
This is a lot to take in...but you all are helping tremendously. Didn't expect this TBH...so thanks!

I'm trying to lay together a game plan...and this is what I have so far.
-86 or 87 GN(thinking 87 would be a better year but not sure)
-12K budget(have to draw the line somewhere)
-located in GA as far as Atlanta or FL(as far as Orlando or Tampa)
-GNX style wheels
-hardtop or may consider t-tops
-no rust or dents
-presentable paint with no major blemishes
-no engine/trans/rear problems that would warrant a rebuild(needing engine top end work is ok though)
-no rips in interior
-stock or lightly modded

Anything look unreasonable or is there anything I should add? Thanks!

Make sure you look, check and look closer again for rust. You will be glad you did. Take your time dont jump the gun:cool: imo

Oh, forgot that. Of course I'd like mileage to be as low as possible, but the max mileage would be around 125K. For my budget, is that a fair expectation?
Any amount of rust is definitely a deal breaker.

Oh, forgot that. Of course I'd like mileage to be as low as possible, but the max mileage would be around 125K. For my budget, is that a fair expectation?
Any amount of rust is definitely a deal breaker.

Yes and no. Again, depends on the care the car has seen. You'd be hard pressed to get either of my GN's under the 13K mark, and one of them is over 130,000 and the other is over 175,000. But they're both 9.9 out of 10 cars, that have been properly cared for over the years. One a one owner, one a two owner. Just all depends on what you can find! I've seen some really crappy examples out there with less than half the miles mine have and pushing over 10K.
I'm more concerned about a car's condition and care more so than miles.

If you keep your eyes open, there are some decent cars that will pop up. With good miles.

Still a buyers car market out there and you may have to travel a bit.

Ok guys, I'm going to look at one tomorrow. It's a hardtop '87 with the usual light mods, 160K, spare parts(trans, wheels, turbos), repaint 17 years ago(looks great in the pics), tint, and seller says no rust(but I will find rust if there is any). It's 5.5 hours away, but I would rather lose $50 in gas money than several thousands if this isn't the car for me. This will literally be the first time I've sat in and driven a Grand National. Wow!

See if you can find a member close to look at it first...may save you 11 hours of travel...

Bryan

Still turned off by the fact that I'll pretty much have to hide the car from public view. Not looking forward to that and it might be too stressful for me.

There are so many safety add ons u can do to give u peace of mind. But my advice is to just be smart.

A garage is great, get a column lock and actually use it every time u leave the car... dont take it to go see a movie when a possible thief knows he's got an hour. .. thats what I mean by being smart.

Otherwise. .. just get great car insurance and enjoy ur car.

Best of luck

Just got back and am itching to update everyone. Ok...I'll start with the 3 biggest flaws I know of.
1)The drivers door and front 1/4 panel section(in front of, and below the little window) has a bunch of small dents. none were on a body line, so they may be easy to remove...but none the less, there are many small dents in this area.
2)At the passengers side near the edge of the door, but on the 1/4 panel edge has a fairly large chunk of paint missing and more is starting to flake off. Looks like a chip was left unrepaired and moisture got under the paint and is causing it to lift/flake off.
3)A/C does not work and the seller says it's a leak in the area of where everything bolts to the firewall area. Not sure if this is easy to get to, but the A/C didn't work and that's a downfall.

The paint is a repaint as I stated(1996) but isn't a show quality job(don't expect one anyway). I'd give it a 7 out of 10. The drivers fender has a couple deep scratches that go through the top coat, but don't appear to go down to the metal. Motor runs well, trans shifts well, no vibrations, noises, or anything amiss at highway speeds. He drove it to a gas station and gave it some throttle, but didn't get into it hard, so I don't know how well it performs under heavy accel. I drove it back from the gas station and drove like a little old lady. The only rust I found was on the lower inner lip of the trunk lid and it looked pretty minor(but may be good to grind it out and seal). The interior looked ok, but the steering wheel showed some wear and the headliner is sagging in a lot of areas.
In my absent minded-ness fashion, I forgot to record the VIN to check on the carfax. Also forgot to look for the VIN on different body panels.

So...if you're still reading, this is my impression of the car. He's asking 14K...but dent removal and paint repair and will cost $$$. The A/C may be an easy fix. If needed, I'll list the mods to give you a better idea of the value. What do you think?