Finally got some time.

looks like you've alot of blocking to do. hey, what does the color code on the cowl tag say? looks surprisingly similar to my ciera's coloring scheme, but faded more....o_O

So my question, is how is this thing so rusty being in Texas? Did it come out of the northern US or something?

Theres like 3 rusty cutlasses running it town that just kinda appeared, theres like 2 in town that arent rust buckets.

coastal possibly. theres lots of sand and salty breezes from the ocean right there, if you're on the coast....not everything has to need winters to get rusty.

so your fixing up the panels on the t-type to put on your GN or are you restoring the t-type?

This is the test bed for what I'm going to do the the 82 GN. The tranny in my DD is going out and I need to get another car running and since it's the most complete I'm starting on it so I can learn how to do the GN and not screw it up.:smile:

looks like you've alot of blocking to do. hey, what does the color code on the cowl tag say? looks surprisingly similar to my ciera's coloring scheme, but faded more....o_O

I honestly don't know. It will be in primer and multi colored so I'll have another running car at the moment. Not worried about how it looks right now but I didn't want ventalated rears after all.

So my question, is how is this thing so rusty being in Texas? Did it come out of the northern US or something?

Theres like 3 rusty cutlasses running it town that just kinda appeared, theres like 2 in town that arent rust buckets.

Bought it off evilbay in Missouri and brought it down here. It really doesn't look as bad as it seems but the engine has a knock in it so it needs to be pulled for sure. I just am trying to get it back together enough to prove some of the tech I've been posting and have a driving car for now.

And your point is?:confused:

I dont know what my point was on that! :D I suffer from randomthoughtatitious.

That rust repair looks good. Im glad I found a rust free car. Do you have a picture of the hole car at all?

Hi Charlie I am glad you got back your phone thanks for info and link to hydroboost very informative I did not know that you are an expert welder and body man looks very nice keep up the good work, Paul

Yeah I started at the beginning. I just ment more than just the quarter panel. The whole car.

I noticed its a limited, being there wasnt many 83 T types built it must be pretty rare with it being a limited.

Hi Charlie I am glad you got back your phone thanks for info and link to hydroboost very informative I did not know that you are an expert welder and body man looks very nice keep up the good work, Paul

Thanks Paul.:smile: This is the first body work I've really done. I just got the filler today from NAPA and it was about $30 for the all-metal from USC. I do a huge amount of research before I start a project so I have a better idea of what I'm geting into. I'm really suprised that it's looking as good as it is.:cool:

Yeah I started at the beginning. I just ment more than just the quarter panel. The whole car.

I noticed its a limited, being there wasnt many 83 T types built it must be pretty rare with it being a limited.

The rest of the car looks good from what I've seen so far but I'll know more as I get into her. Minor rust on the surface and no other places. Getting the back done so it's secure is the important thing right now. I'm going from the rear to the front for a reason. After the rear end is the doors and removal of the interior. Hopefully the Astroroof hasn't caused any other problems but I think it has damaged the puter due to water leakage.:frown:

Well I think I'm finally done welding the panels for now. I still have some grinding to do on the lower but everything looks good. Penatration looks good and the outer just needs to be ground down some to check it. The wheel well looks suprisingly nice now which I'm happy about. I'm gonna take a cut off wheel and clean up some of my welds on the inside of it because It ain't purty and I want to make sure there's no holes in it. Coming soon is pulling the rear out so I can modify the pearches and a few other things.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 254
  • DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 256
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 259
Well I think I'm finally done welding the panels for now. I still have some grinding to do on the lower but everything looks good. Penatration looks good and the outer just needs to be ground down some to check it. The wheel well looks suprisingly nice now which I'm happy about. I'm gonna take a cut off wheel and clean up some of my welds on the inside of it because It ain't purty and I want to make sure there's no holes in it. Coming soon is pulling the rear out so I can modify the pearches and a few other things.:biggrin:

good to hear you finished all the metal work.

Charlie you are doing great work for not doing that before. I'm hoping to have a spot in the garage soon to start on mine.

I've seen more 83 limited than normal T-types..I have a limited too. :D

Charlie you are doing great work for not doing that before. I'm hoping to have a spot in the garage soon to start on mine.

Totally cool Jim.:biggrin: You need to do the same as I am and post all the info in the B4Black section. I looked and haven't found anyone else that's done this before and that's one of the reasons I'm doing it here.:smile:

The one thing you guys haven't seen yet is it's an Astro roof car.:biggrin: One more thing to worry about.:frown:

Well I did the grinding on the lower where I re-did the spot welds and it almost looks like the factory did it. It also turns out that God has a sense of humor.:eek: As I was cleaning up the spot welds I had to add some extra matereal because the welds didn't fill the holes completely and found that I'd forgoten one frigging spot.:redface: On the very back I had to cut out 2 spot welds and forgot to weld them up again. They face downward and as I tried to weld them I blew through the metal.:frown: Ever try to weld on your back with slag falling on you? It hurts to say the least, but the holes are all filled now.:biggrin: Just a little more grinding and I can finish getting the car up so I can remove the rear and tranny.

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 250
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 243
Well I did the grinding on the lower where I re-did the spot welds and it almost looks like the factory did it. It also turns out that God has a sense of humor.:eek: As I was cleaning up the spot welds I had to add some extra matereal because the welds didn't fill the holes completely and found that I'd forgoten one frigging spot.:redface: On the very back I had to cut out 2 spot welds and forgot to weld them up again. They face downward and as I tried to weld them I blew through the metal.:frown: Ever try to weld on your back with slag falling on you? It hurts to say the least, but the holes are all filled now.:biggrin: Just a little more grinding and I can finish getting the car up so I can remove the rear and tranny.

make sure you put the drains in the bottom of those panels. i hate to weld on my back but most of the time you have to do it. looks good charlie

The original drain is still there at the front of the fender but I need to reshape them slightly and make them a little more effective.

What's a good seam sealer now? I'm going to clean out a bunch of the old sealer and re-do it all. We carry the Bondo brand but I'd prefer something a little beter than that.

The original drain is still there at the front of the fender but I need to reshape them slightly and make them a little more effective.

What's a good seam sealer now? I'm going to clean out a bunch of the old sealer and re-do it all. We carry the Bondo brand but I'd prefer something a little beter than that.

i use the eastwood seam sealer. its ok stuff, but i have never used the bondo brand stuff.
Seam Sealer Brushable Quart

Thanks Matt. That will help a great deal.:smile:

Now on to more of the rustomod.:biggrin: Got the passenger fender finished tonight and it looks good. I started pulling the rear out and did a little experimenting.:biggrin: Look closely at the sway bars. Can you tell a difference? I paid $10 for the 1" bar but I don't think it's the right one. It may be for an A body mid 70's so I'll do a little research when I get the chance. I also fitted up the S-10 rear bar along with the stock one. Looks like it will work and it should behave just like the HR bar if I set everything up right.:cool: I got the springs and shocks off tonight and the drivers side was frozen to the axle. Had to beat it off and the shocks were stuck as well but once again my tranny jack did it's job and is holding up the rear until I take it out hopefully tomorrow.:smile:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCN0003.JPG
    DSCN0003.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 238
  • DSCN0004.jpg
    DSCN0004.jpg