FAST XIM - Invididual Coil Per Cylinder Ignition Install

Bent6

The Vanilla Gowilla
Posting this for Cal. This is the FAST XIM ignition system using individual coils per cylinder. This system integrates with the FAST XFI using the CAN BUS and eliminates the stock waste spark strategy allowing for a MUCH stronger spark as well as sequential rev-limiting (2/3-step).

His usual setup includes brackets to mount the coils on the valve covers LS style but I decided to do something a little different. The coils are ganged together similar to the stock setup and mounted in the stock location. The coil bracket in the pics is a prototype I fabbed up for mockup only - the permanent one will be billet. I also managed to cram both boxes behind the glove box door WITH the factory AC in place. That was about the hardest part of the whole deal - kind of like cramming 10lbs into a 5lb bag but I think it turned out pretty nice. I hope to get the car back to the track soon for testing with this new system.

Thanks Cal for helping me solve my little issues with the install. :biggrin:

DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg
DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg
DSC_0020.jpg

Nice install, both under the hood and in the glove box. The LS/LQx coils provide one hecka' of a spark. Well worth it.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Very nice Will, clean install...

That's a pretty serious "Street Car" ya got there...:wink:

Cool! Thanks for posting pics Will. I have sold quite a few of these lately and never seen the coils installed in the stock location. You weren't kidding about 10# of **** in a 5# bag! Thanks again.

It depends on what "something" you are talking about. If you are referring to just the CNP ignition setup, the cost is $1200 :eek:

This includes:
XIM box
Custom XIM Harness
(2) Coil harnesses
(6) Coils
(2) brackets to mount the coils on valve covers (Will elected to put them in a "stock" location
(6) MSD 8.5 mm plug wires

Once installed you will have a 3 built in rev limts: 2-step, 3-step, and max rpm

Now thats a kickass install. I love the clean look of the coils in the stock location. you now have me thinking cal...........................

I have 2 cars coming in from Chicago getting this setup.
I like the glovebox install. I may use it

Will's attention to detail has always been top notch. Not only did he make the coil brackets, I'm pretty sure he made the plug wires. I haven't found any long wires with the correct ends on them. When I do a CNP setup on the stage headed cars, I have to make longer wires and use 90 degree boots. After seeing the nice plug wires Shane is making, I am going to try and get him to make all my wires.
I need to get someone to post a pick of the setup using the supplied valve cover brackets.

Thanks guys.

I did have to custom make the plug wires. Simplest thing to do is to get a universal set of wires and replace the ends with the LT1 terminals and 90 deg boots. I'm not real fond of the way the boots look but they do help support the wire transition to the terminal. I still have some tweaking to do on the coil bracket design - I think I can get the whole assembly lower between the fuel rails.

I like the idea of keeping the coils at the back, do you have to run XIM to use CNP with a fast xfi system?

Dan

Looks good! That's exactly where I mounted my XFI as well, works good there.