failed inspection.....window tint removal?

87owner

after peeling it off, what would you guys reconmend to clean off the sticky film......alcohol? I'm sure a number of things would work, but I'd rather ask and do it once. THANKS

I've used lacquer thinner with good results when I did mine. Didn't have to take it off for inspection, just hated the driving at night with sunglasses on effect the tint has. Guess I am just getting old.

thanks. By the way, I was just at the inspection station today, and the guys there were admiring your kit. The huge filter looks so awesome. the sound difference is incredible to.

Originally posted by BuickGn Boosted
just hated the driving at night with sunglasses on effect the tint has. Guess I am just getting old.

WOW, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I used to love tinted windows and had them done on most of my cars. Now whenever I'm in a car with window tint, I feel like I'm blind:cool:

Man it sucks to get old :( :rolleyes:

How bad did you fail the inspection?? I have my car tinted in MD and the min is 35%...

Shortly after having them tinted, I had a BS cop pull me over one night for tinted windows. Had to go the the MVA and have a state trooper inspect it with that meter they put on your windows.. mine was at 28%, even though I had them professionally done at a detail shop. Before I started tearing it off I realized that my windows were awfully dirty on the inside so I cleaned them real good. Went back to the MVA and they said it was at 34.6%. MD gives a 2% leaway...

You might want to try that before you go rippin' it off... unless you were way off. Like 5% in a 35% state. BTW, Maryland gave me a small sticker for each window that certified them so if I was to be bothered by police they could see that sticker.

Funny enough, my old Le Mans before the Buick had 16% and I never was pulled over... give it a try.

Originally posted by gn85
How bad did you fail the inspection?? I have my car tinted in MD and the min is 35%...

In NJ there is no "legal" tint unless you have a Dr note saying you have eye problems and need tint for medical reasons.

To remove the tint, its easiest on a sunny day. Spray the window down with straight ammonia (hold yer breath), get a corner up and peel the film. Then, spray the left over glue with straight ammonia. Leave it in the sun a few mins. Spray it once again and start cleaning the glue off with a blade. It will come off like a champion load :) You might wanna pull the upper door panel and get the glue behind it because as it melts, it will get in the window felts and get sticky.

BTW: if you have left and right side view mirrors, tint IS legal on the quarter and back windows if you want to leave that there.

My buddy owns a tint and detail shop. To remove old film, he peels as much as possible, then soaks the window with a combination of water and Johnson's baby shampoo (about 2 capfulls per quart or so) with a spray bottle. Then, he uses a razor blade to scrape off the excess glue left on the window, which now has the consistency of jello---comes right off, and you don't have to worry about dripping thinner or ammonia on your interior pieces! HTH!:cool:

i am a state inspector here in texas and i don't see why there should be any problem with your tint here it is 88 and up that matters 1987 and old can have what ever you want beside the windshild being past the AS1 line on the top. just my .2

yea I know, but just as TurboJim said, in NJ you cant have any. The good news is they said I could keep the back tinted but had to cut around the 3rd breaklight. The back was way darker than the sides though, actualy a litle too dark for me, but I'll see how the sides go first. THANKS FELLAS

P.S. this was the first trip to the inspection station with my first turbo buick, Also the first time I ever passed emissions the first time. I cant wait to start modding it now

The factory tint is peeling(maybe 1mm) for a 6in. length on the side of the passenger window. What do you suggest I use to keep this on? It makes a wierd noise sometimes when it vibrates against the rubber window seal. Drives me crazy :mad:

-DC:cool:

Tint removal

I use a mild solution of dish soap and warm water. Let it soak a bit and you can scrape it loose quite easily with a razor blade.