Faded bumper fillers

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
The paint on my car is in fair shape minus a few scratches and chips but it still has a decent shine, problem is the bumper fillers are faded and very dull looking. Was wondering if anyone had any tips on bringing them back to life other than having them repainted ?

If they are starting to turn chalky they're not long for this world

If you still have the original flexible urethane fillers then what you are experiencing is the beginning of the end. Its a very common problem. Even repainting is not recommended as there is no permanent way to stop the degradation process. They will eventually crack and crumble off the car.

Do a search on bumper fillers then decide which replacement filler is right for you.

IE faded and dull. I am of course assuming you have GM fillers. If they are aftermarket fiberglass or abs you may be able to buff them out.

Who makes good fillers?

Good is subjective. Let's look at what's out there. For the record I just received a set of spoolfool fillers they aren't mounted yet so I can't say anything about fit. They are replacing some factory GM fronts and a set of Dakno rears.

Danko Reproductions Fiberglass.

Chopped glass construction

The Good: Inexpensive $200/set.
The bad: Some people have had fit problems that required bodywork to make them look right. Danko's aren't as consistent Their rear fillers are 2 piece like the factory fillers so there is a seam.

Spoolfools

Hand laid fiberglass mat. Consistent fit.

The Good. One piece rear
The bad: Expensive.

G-body GM reproduction fronts

No experience. But the closest to GM

Car is new to me its a 85 t type is there any easy way of telling what they are made of so I can determine if they can be fixed or have to be replaced ?

Look at the back (unpainted side). GM is gray, dankos are black. The GM fillers are flexible (or the were when new)

You can also go to a vendor website like gbodyparts.com and look at pictures of the various models of bumper filler

I installed the G-Body Parts rear glass fillers a couple years back. They fit fine with no additional work and were easy to finish.

I just got a set of the Goodmark fillers off of eBay. They look almost dead on to the originals. I have a Spoolfool 1pc on my car now. My other car has Dankos on them.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1394714432.846699.jpg

For the rear fillers Spool fool cause nothing beats the clean look of the 1pc rear filler. For the fronts I would recommend the ABS ones cause they are not making the GM one anymore. ABS fit better onto the bottom of the header panel. Dankos are cheap and DO NOT fit right out of the box. Mine were on the car when I bought it and were worked already and painted.

I know that for a perfect match any filler will have to be painted but can the spoolfools be used out the box

Yes they can but watch the video first on YouTube very helpful. The gel coat on mine was more of a dark grey has been driving me nuts. I'm finally getting it painted I can not wait for it to match!

The hazing up on original fillers is what happens shortly before they crumble. It appears to me as though they're off gassing. I'm not sure if it's the flex agent, or the rubber itself . As said, they are not long for this world. I'd guess, less than a year. Who's ever fillers you buy, don't buy used originals. Once you take them off your car and they loose that memory, they'll crumble within weeks. There have been quite a few threads posted in the last year on bumper fillers for those who want to search.;)

Here's the video that was mentioned above.

Happy Spooling.
Mike B.