External-only trannie cooler

Clay Thompson

I need a new radiator. I've got a 8" X 12" stacked external cooler mounted in the car's airstream but not the motor fan's airstream--in other words no fan on the external cooler. Will that keep my 200 4R cool by itself?

Anyone with actual experience with stand-alone externals?

BTW--I did several searches before I posted.

I played with mounting locations and using the tranny cooler alone and with the radiater. I like using both radiater and coolers but for about 2 years I only used the cooler without the radiater and my tranny stayed cool enough but I did have the cooler mounted so that the cars fan would pull air through the cooler. The question for you to ask yourself is do you do alot of city driving because having the cooler sit alone with no fan pulling air through it only receiving a flow of air from ram air will not be enough for slow driving ( under 40 ) and city stop and go, for that you will need some kind of fan and the need gets greater with higher stalls and heavier feet

Originally posted by Clay Thompson
Anyone with actual experience with stand-alone externals?

BTW--I did several searches before I posted.

Opps, not enough searching I guess. :p I got this on the first try.... LOL :D

Originally posted by WE4
I like to see the radiator used, but I don't think you will have any trouble. Just make sure your stand alone is big enough and has complete airflow..:)

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8586&highlight=external+cooler

Bruce's post

Thanks for the response, I actually pulled Bruce's comment and 50 others on the first try also but the next search popped over 500, I went crosseyed after about 100 reads. I was hoping someone had done something similar--gone external not in front of the radiator--and had actual temperature numbers.

The prevelant method I found was the rad cooler plus the external with that also being the order of fluid flow--which is what I use in all my cars currently with great success.

However, I guess everyone mounts external coolers in front of the radiator, which actually puts heat back into the radiator. Mine is mounted to the side behind the headlights but I spent a lot of effort in getting airflow into the external cooler. My trannie runs about 20 degrees cooler than the radiator no matter what the driving circumstance.

I'm getting ready to install a 500 Caddy motor and I know heat is going to be a problem as my space is limited for a larger radiator. I plan to use an all-aluminum radiator and was hoping I could buy one without an internal trannie cooler so more heat rejection capacity could be devoted to the engine.

Finally, I seem to pull my engine about every six months and one of the most aggravating, time-consuming things are the cooler lines. If I could get the lines out of the radiator, unentwined with the motor and mounted to the frame I could end that aggravation.

I agree the tandem set-up in the order you stated is the best and is what I do also. In my Monte I have mine in front of rad. but mounted independantly about 6-8" in front as to not conduct heat. One suggestion if not to diffacult would be and a second cooler on the other side in tandem, that I would think should be sufficant enough as long as you don't have to sit at a red light for say a half hour or so. :D

I have a stand alone cooler with a temp. gauge. I use the largest stack plate cooler. Bruce sales this cooler. It is 12"x11'x1 3/4". I have a mod D5 converter and my trans temps. never get above 160*. It has been in the 90's all summer here in NC. When I get out in open air the temps drop down around 110*. My gauge starts at 100* and it was in the 50's tonight and the trans. temps. never got above 100*. I think this is very good transmission temps..

Low trannie temps

Your numbers make me think that the in-the-radiator cooler actually increases the transmission oil temperature. My radiator temperature never gets below 160 in the summer and my trannie temp is always 20 degress lower than the radiator temp--hmmmm.

I looked at Bruce's cooler, its a big one! Is yours mounted in front of the radiator?

It is in front of the A/C condenser. It gets fresh air. I don't have a front mount. I made my mounting brackets out of flat aluminum stock that I purchased at Lowe's and used the existing holes in the front support. I also used rubber washers when mounting the cooler to reduce vibration. This cooler is awesome.

Responding to this....

This cooler is awesome

Re: Easssssy boy

Originally posted by Clay Thompson
We're talking about the trannie cooler.

I think maybe Clay thought you were getting a little too excited over the cooler? :eek: :confused: :D