Ethanol gas eating up fuel lines

Mr URL

In my area (Iowa the corn country) ethanol gas is very common. It ate up the fuel lines to my fuel pumps and made them like jelly blowing them out. So, something to watch if you end up putting ethanol premium gas in your car especially during winter storage.

Ethanol gas is common everywhere. Ever since Jimmy Carter mandated it in the 70's.

For some reason it's damn near impossible to find, but the ONLY hose you can use for fuel injection on pumps HAS to be both rated for high pressure AND submersion. SAE30R10 is what is required for submersion. The ''FI hose'' sold at the parts store is SAE30R9 at best. That stuff lets fuel wick right up the braid and turn it to mush.

Last edited:
I used multifuel fuel injection hose from NAPA and it works just fine. No issues.

Most current fuel hose has a liner to keep the alcohol from eating its way through.

However, on a stock-type pump/hanger unit which uses a connector rubber hose in the tank and it needs to be protected inside and outside, or it will go away in short order?

The last piece of submersible alky hose cost me $30 for a foot long piece, so you need to be sure to use the good stuff for reliability!

My hose was old from whatever the Red XP duel pump used. It obviously wasn't up to task.

Great info guys! I updated to good hose this time.