What about putting fuel filter just before the rail?

tminer

Not quite normal
I'm upgrading fuel lines and using Sakudog's technique of putting a 180 at the inlet. I'm going with the Rx filter so there looks to be enough room. Having read a lot here lately I got the idea that it would be interesting to monitor pressure losses and by putting taps before filter and just past pump I could monitor loss due to feed line and loss thru filter. Plus I won't have to crawl around when it's time to replace filters. Although monitoring the loss thru filter may cause the frequency to increase.

So it this a bonehead move like yesterday when I was looking for my heat gun to loosen up the rubber hoses when I was pulling the tank? Lucky for me I couldn't find it because I almost had a Depends moment when gas dribbled out as I pulled them off the hard way!

Would be interesting to see how much pressure drop a filter can cause. I guess a question I can think of how much do we want? If not that means more trash trash getting in the motor. Do it see what happens :)

Hopefully not much, more of a way to monitor change as an indicator that filter needs replaced or something happened like crud in fuel. I still need to source a sending unit, not even sure there are any Power Logger friendly. But wanted to get my Black Friday order in to Racetronix and spent the few extra bucks on the taps jic. Really started this thread to get opinions on having the filter in engine compartment. I was planning on the monitoring either way, just a change in sensor placement.

As long as the filter is on the line between the pump to the rail your golden. Where ever you place it is your choice.

After seeing a few engine fires, I keep as little of the fuel lines and parts as possible out of the engine bay, and certainly never put a fuel filter or fuel gauge there.

This fire was started by a leaking regulator near the finish line at the track.

ENGINE FIRE.jpg

After seeing a few engine fires, I keep as little of the fuel lines and parts as possible out of the engine bay, and certainly never put a fuel filter or fuel gauge there.

This fire was started by a leaking regulator near the finish line at the track.

View attachment 313328
You'll never put a fuel pressure gauge where? Under the hood? How do you check fuel pressure then?

You'll never put a fuel pressure gauge where? Under the hood? How do you check fuel pressure then?

Simple, we have a long hose with a gauge and tape it to the windshield for the road test, and then remove it before the car goes back to the customer.

I do not want the liability of an under hood fire due to an accessory fuel item we installed leaking, just be sure to have good insurance in case of a fuel leak/fire.

Simple, we have a long hose with a gauge and tape it to the windshield for the road test, and then remove it before the car goes back to the customer.

I do not want the liability of an under hood fire due to an accessory fuel item we installed leaking, just be sure to have good insurance in case of a fuel leak/fire.
That's cool, but they have no gauge after. Breakage is a risk of hot rodding. If something breaks years down the, that's one thing but people should also be vigilant for fuel odors, leaks etc.

That's cool, but they have no gauge after. Breakage is a risk of hot rodding. If something breaks years down the, that's one thing but people should also be vigilant for fuel odors, leaks etc.

If it's tuned right, they don't need a gauge afterwards. The usefulness can be outweighed by the risk.

Sometimes I think Nick is the only guy on this board worried about fire. Fire is bad. Worse than blowing the motor because the pump failed and went lean during a pass.

Ask yourself again........

-Do you think putting the fuel filter under the hood is really more convenient?
Not so much so.

-Will it look better?
Probably be kinda ugly.

-Do I really need to monitor fuel pressure before and after the filter?
Thousands of other parameters that are so much more important to monitor. Besides, it's what happens at the rail that counts. The filter should never be allowed to go that long without regular service.

-Could the extra fittings and tubing possibly contribute to a fire risks?
Maybe, or maybe not. But the other answers above don't make it worth finding out.

Sometimes the answer is no and the why is...... "just because it's silly".

:)

Oh, and I admit I have done some silly stupid things that afterwards I wondered "what in the world made me think that was a good idea?"

Last edited: