ESC Question

BADAZZV6

Slippery When Boosted
I cloned my 1984 NA Buick to 1982 TRSC a few years ago. I used the 1982 rear end and trans. I also put the 1982 TRSC turbo, intake, exhaust and wiring harness onto the 84 long block. I realize it is not optimum to turbo the NA long block, but it's what i had at the time. I have it running now, but it is spark knocking like crazy, I can't build any boost with it. When I stripped the donor car, I did not take the ESC controller under the dash, so I grabbed one from a NA Regal in the bone yard. Do you know if this NA ESC Controller is compatible with the 1982 TRSC? Since I never saw the original 1982 ESC Controller, I don't know if it was 1st or 2nd generation.

'82 Was the last year for the accelerometer style knock sensor. The NA ESC module is likely for a piezo sensor.

I think you will need to find the right ESC module. There were two styles, but I they might be interchangeable if you have the correct short wiring harness that connects them to the dash harness. I think the 1982 4.1 engine used the same module.

I know what's going on this is where I started('84 na block). Need just a NA esc module and the later '84+ peizo knock sensor and the right harness to make it operate. If your running the '84+ computer controlled distributor with a 7 pin HEI ignition module, the cumputer MUST be working right to operate the distributor correctly. Swapping a 4 pin HEI ignition module into the computer controlled distributor without running a computer is the only way it can work. Now if you run an older distributor or a working computer type you will be good to go as long as the esc is connected and working.

Your '84 engine block might already have a piezo knock sensor screwed into it. Do you have the '84 wiring harness still? You might be able to get the '84 sensor and ESC module to talk to the '82 ECM. Hard to say if that will work.

Next option could be to swap over to the '84 ECM and wiring. I don't know how the NA ECM will do with the turbocharger. Only issue I see if the MAP sensor which reads boost on the turbo motor.

If that didn't work, an 83 Turbo ECM would do the trick. I plan to use a '83 ECM and wiring on my '82 Turbo so I can use the newer piezo knock sensor and ESC.

I have an 83 ESC, dizzy, and harness. Let me know if you need it.
Dan
Your '84 engine block might already have a piezo knock sensor screwed into it. Do you have the '84 wiring harness still? You might be able to get the '84 sensor and ESC module to talk to the '82 ECM. Hard to say if that will work.

Next option could be to swap over to the '84 ECM and wiring. I don't know how the NA ECM will do with the turbocharger. Only issue I see if the MAP sensor which reads boost on the turbo motor.

If that didn't work, an 83 Turbo ECM would do the trick. I plan to use a '83 ECM and wiring on my '82 Turbo so I can use the newer piezo knock sensor and ESC.

Thanks guys for chimming in......when I did the clone I also used the interior wiring harness so I could use the 82 TRSC dash and ECM. I also used the 82 Distributor and 82 knock sensor. I pretty much converted everything to 82 so it would be plug and play since I had the whole donor car. It worked relatively well, but the wiring harness connectors forced me to use the 82 steering column, heater controls and wiper motor, so I wouldn't have to modify anything. The one thing I missed was the ESC Module which I didn't realize until it was throwing the ESC Code after I got it running. I did pull a ESC Module from a 82 NA Regal and put it in and then the code never returned. From what I'm gathering, it doesn't matter if it's NA or Turbo as long as the components match which I think mine do......I will verify them as soon as I get the car back in the garage.

I did read the Before Black website before I posted, but it wasn't specific about using a NA ESC Module in a Turbo application, so I thought I would ask. I will have to perform the Knock Diagnostics tests to ensure the ESC system is functioning correctly. I'm also going to verify the MAP sensors just to be sure they are operating within the proper range.

I also read the sticky post on "Carb Info for the Turbo Design".....it was a good read and I will have to check a few things out based on what I read there.

I have developed a decent laundry list of things to check and verify, so it will keep me busy for a while.

Can someone point me to a place where I can read up on the computer controlled carb......I want to understand how each aspect of it is supposed to operate so I can check everything out.

Also, since I put my 82 components on the 84 NA long block, do I have to do any rejetting since the 84 heads flow more air?

I appreciate all of your help......it's been 3 years since I put the car together....and honestly I haven't touched it since and I have forgotten more than I realized.....but it's all coming back to me.....slowly!

If it's a CCC carb you can change the dwell on the fuel mixture solinoid easily. You might also join the 301garage which is our cousins since it's all about the 80-81 301 turbo Trans ams.;) Joe owns and operates it and weve got some really good carb info over there as well.:cool:

If you got the ESC module from a '82 NA Regal, then that would have been a 4.1 V6. They second design was common to both engines, so it should work. Do you have a scan tool? I would hook it up and see if it senses any knocking. Just tap on the block with a hammer.