Engine swaps

50psi

Alright here's my problem, Im very new to the whole 80's era buicks, i own a 00 regal ls that has extensive modding done to it, my goal with that is to be the fastest N/A modern day regal, Anyway thats not the point, serious question, has anybody swapped a SR20 turbo, 2JZ, or an 20b rotory engine in a t-type. I know that this idea seem pretty far out, but bare with me gentleman. I know there a v8 swaps, but i want to have something unique. In my basement sits a T88 turbo, that one of my buddies basically gave me before he went away to Iraq. I have a 83' carbed turbo POS as it sits now, I've recently found that you cant make very much power with this setup (not as much as i want lets just say), So tell me honestly what you guys think, good idea or bad idea, My goals are to run 10's and have a MEAN highway car.

whatcha gonna do with that carbed POS?

wanna sell it?

A.j.

oh yea, and any japanese swap into a buick would be super gay.

I know that it wouldnt be common, but seriously what is going to hang with a car that has a 1000 hp 2JZ motor in it on the highway, the supra is the ultimate roll car, and the Jap motors are a lot more cost effective, remember i have the T88 already....

why drop import crap into american IRON... The steel in these cars already eliminated you from competition against a supra in a roll no matter what motor except for a nice LC2 or LM9...

I wouldnt bother with anything other than a turbo motor from a GN, otherwise, you are posting in the wrong section... Hybrids would be the place to ask!

John:rolleyes:

Alright here's my problem, Im very new to the whole 80's era buicks, i own a 00 regal ls that has extensive modding done to it, my goal with that is to be the fastest N/A modern day regal, Anyway thats not the point, serious question, has anybody swapped a SR20 turbo, 2JZ, or an 20b rotory engine in a t-type. I know that this idea seem pretty far out, but bare with me gentleman. I know there a v8 swaps, but i want to have something unique. In my basement sits a T88 turbo, that one of my buddies basically gave me before he went away to Iraq. I have a 83' carbed turbo POS as it sits now, I've recently found that you cant make very much power with this setup (not as much as i want lets just say), So tell me honestly what you guys think, good idea or bad idea, My goals are to run 10's and have a MEAN highway car.

First of all, why would you even consider puting jap crap in an AMERICAN car? If you want a better option click on the second link in my sig to see how to build a better turbo for the 83 and earlier cars.:eek: If you don't want to do the work then please sell the car and get a Honda.:mad:

Personally I don't care what motor you put in any car. Yes, you can say is blasphemous to throw a japanese or european motor in an american car. Personally these japanese and euro motors are putting out numbers that anyone can appreciate with very little modification. That's not to say you can't get the same result with the good ol' 3.8 turbo, but we're talking about being uniqe... and a little too much tokyo drift, j/k.

To each his own. I encourage people to think outside the box and do what they really want to do. With that said, there are better cars to put a motor into if you're looking for 10s. Weight and suspension setups are crucial.

Personally if I were going to put a new motor in my '85 it would probably be a BMW S54 out of the newer E46 M3. Very strong motor, very strong transmissions, and capable of being super or turbocharged... A little heavy on the wiring though. If your goal is simple and stand alone EMS then I would recommend either the supra inline 6 or the skyline inline 6. The RB2X series nissan is popular, exceptionally stong, and relatively inexpensive compared to the supra inline 6. Of corse you can pick up an NA 2JZ and turbo that. The SR20 is a good engine, but I mean c'mon that engine bay is ENORMOUS! Not to mention you can only run up to 400HP on a stock engine with main and rod bearings. All of these motors are leaps and bounds above the capabilities of the stock 3.8 though. If you have any more questions feel free to shoot me an email or PM. I do this for a living, but the right section helps.

Jason - Gearhead Performance

The difference is my car was made with tools not chopsticks..... The POS carb motor is only useless to those who shouldn't have one of these cars to begin with......

sell the japanese parts and stuff a modern American engine in it- something like an LS2 or (dare i dream..) an LS7 or LS9 out of a Corvette would do a pretty effective job of motivating a Regal around.

This is absolutely amazing. Not a soul on here is willing to admit that you could put an import motor into one of these cars and be happy with it. Some of you guys need to think outside the "American" box. There's an entire world out there that has produced an number of astonishingly powerful and reliable motors other than GM... I understand the "But it's a Buick/GM/Chevy..." purist mentality, but there is no good reason why you can't and shouldn't do something truly different.

On a different but no less important note, I know of a lot of Honda's that would eat our cars alive. Hell, I've even had a Nissan Sentra that would light up a few of these cars! And I'm not going to limit these remarks to "newer" cars only. Even back when our cars were being produced they were running with the likes of the BMW M3 (E30 chassis). Granted they weren't quarter mile rockets but had a 4-Cylinder and no turbo with nearly 200 HP! You mean to tell me that GM couldn't get any more than a measly 200HP out of a turbocharged V6? I'm not knocking these cars, not just because I own one and they're just cool, but please don't call imported cars "crap" or "trash" or whatever. They're just as good or superior to the American made drivelines.

Wow, somebody needs to talk this guy out of his GN. If you can't seriously understand why we (as owners of GN's) have a problem with putting a import motor in a GN then you aren't really in a firm understanding of these cars and their history. I know that some things are cool and unique to do but that's why they made Cutlass's :D J/k. The other problem with your whole statement is he was asking for opinions and we gave him our opinion. You have yours. I am so sorry that the majority does not agree with you but that's the way it is.:eek:

The Grand National is a car just like the rest of them. I've owned mine longer than most. Yeah, it's got history, but I don't think they all have a Turbo V-6 in them anymore. You're right on one thing though, he was asking for opinions... not trash talk. I as a GN owner and businessman don't appreciate other people talking down on Imported motors or vice versa.

that Celica with GN drivetrain posted recently is sweet so if the shoe was on the other foot........ while I wouldnt do it a supra drivetrain in a GN would be a mirror image import/american swap and if it was done nicely and performed well I would have to appreciate it I guess

50psi said:
I know that it wouldnt be common, but seriously what is going to hang with a car that has a 1000 hp 2JZ motor in it on the highway, the supra is the ultimate roll car, and the Jap motors are a lot more cost effective, remember i have the T88 already....

Supra's are not the ultimate roll cars, its just that you don't see many Domestic's needing to huff 50+psi (pun intended) into their engines to run those incredible numbers. Domestic V8's make essentially the same power with only half the psi. What happens when a turbo Supra crosses paths with a turbo LSX Trans Am running less boost on the highway? It isn't pretty....;

YouTube - Twin turbo Trans Am VS Twin turbo Toyota Supra

.... as far as something different, I'd like to see a twin supercharged 3800 engine in an 80's Buick Regal. Check out this very concept that was done on a Ford Lighting;

YouTube - Twin Supercharged SVT Lightning part 2

Keep the Import engines where they belong, in the Imports.... :wink:

Personally I don't care what motor you put in any car. Yes, you can say is blasphemous to throw a japanese or european motor in an american car. Personally these japanese and euro motors are putting out numbers that anyone can appreciate with very little modification. That's not to say you can't get the same result with the good ol' 3.8 turbo, but we're talking about being uniqe... and a little too much tokyo drift, j/k.

Jason - Gearhead Performance

unique-demotivator-poster.jpg

.... as far as something different, I'd like to see a twin supercharged 3800 engine in an 80's Buick Regal. Check out this very concept that was done on a Ford Lighting;

YouTube - Twin Supercharged SVT Lightning part 2:

that has been something I have wanted to see also is a twin sc 3800. I wish I had the skills to make it happen , I sell M90's for $100 left and right I would love to have an intake that would bolt 2 of them on , the rest I could get done with a hand from a friend or 2

Well.....I guess it's like they say, it sure doesn't have to look good.....it just has to work....But, how in the hell is this gonna work???:confused:

.... lol, the above pictures are just of the rendition, and the mock up, I believe the setup will be polished then eventually will go into another engine bay entirely.