Engine rebuild - recommendations (cam, etc)

Jorgy

Newly boosted
After having my car for a year I decided to blow up the motor so I could rebuild it. Well, that’s what I tell myself. This has forced me to learn a whole lot more about these cars. It’s something I should have been doing all along, so this’ll be my expensive lesson! Anyway, I’ve got a partial list going that wouldn’t be possible without the assistance of Turbonut85 on the forum.

Forged steel crank
Forged K1 h beam rods
.030 forged Diamond pistons
Two center billet main caps
Arp main and head studs, cam bolts
Freeze plug
All bearings and gaskets

One thing I need is a recommendation on a cam (I’m assuming it needs to be replaced). I’m running a 6265 journal bearing turbo, 3000 rpm converter, 80 lb injectors on e85, and all the other usual add ons. I was putting out 470 hp before the explosion. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Not planning on going stroker and no head work. I'm not a racer although I may take it to a nearby 1/8 mile track sometime to see what it'll do.

get the machine work done by some one who knows Buick lingo
Went through 3 sets of mains on a block that look good

I have been told Buicks are pretty picky with tolerances. Be sure who ever builds it knows that. You sound like you may be pushing more power than I am but I am in love with my 212/212 cam from Comp. As I look through all these cars that people have I realize I probably have the lowest power Turbo Buick on the planet haha.

Also I would go roller next time. I didn't have the money when I rebuilt mine to do that and mine is working good right now so I don't want to mess with it.

No headwork=small cam like 206 or stock.

Not planning on going stroker and no head work. I'm not a racer although I may take it to a nearby 1/8 mile track sometime to see what it'll do.
The heads would offer more potential and room to grow. You don't necessarily have to be a racer for the benefit. Stock cams can run in the 10's and good heads w/a good tune is less taxing on the combo. There are probably a few sets in the parts for sale section, reasonably priced if you decide to consider them.

Have your heads ported. Then.......have your heads ported. If not, buy a set of TA aluminum heads.
One of the very best mods you can make is a set of ported heads. Did I mention ported heads? Well if not, port your heads. If you have a die grinder, do it your self. I will gladly walk you through it. Dirty job, but well worth it.

I just finished doing my old engine's heads. My buddy had high quality carbide porting burs and I picked up a sandpaper roll kit from harbor freight. Took about 8 hours to match the ports, smooth out the parting seems and shape up the bowl area. I worked outside with ear protection and magnifying safety glasses and a dust mask overy a couple of days. The heads will go back on my old engine with a small cam and rod bearings. It will be going in my buddy's light weight T. I found the job difficult but rewarding. Can't say they are the best but they definitely will flow more than stock.

One correction on the build. It'll b 0.020 on pistons. Save some room for any future grenading.

I'm thinking now about using as much of the stock parts as I can on top. I'm trying to stay away from spending another $2-3,000 here. I'm curious about the Bison cam. I'll check in with him.

Head work is $80/hr for the machinist here.

I suppose I'm just trying to get the most bang for my buck (or Buick) here.

It looks like I'm definitely going with a new cam. The stock one had noticeable wear. I've heard good things about the 212/212. Any other suggestions?

Also, roller rockers or waste of money???

IMO I personally wouldn't crack the factory seal on the heads unless they're blown . Save that money for down the road when you eventually do blow the head gasket and then port the stockers or get a set of GN1's.

It looks like I'm definitely going with a new cam. The stock one had noticeable wear. I've heard good things about the 212/212. Any other suggestions?

Also, roller rockers or waste of money???
Stay small with the cam if don't do head work. Stock rockers are fine with small cams. Don't be put off by the word small. The stock cam is tiny but many, including myself have run mid to low 11s or better with it.

looks like I'm definitely going with a new cam. The stock one had noticeable wear. I've heard good things about the 212/212. Any other suggestions?
The 212 with a strong motor and headwork with the boost way up will make enough to break the rest of the car.in mo if your not going to push the car small cam smaller turbo mild tune and drive it.if you want to go faster bigger cam heads for sure,more aggressive tune etc.

Since you are having to bore it out and upgrade the cam(assuming you can afford to go all roller.) It would help w/the longevity of the engine. There are a few choices of 212's, which w/o the hd work, you probably wouldn't want to go any bigger for good street manners. The 212 I just pulled out of mine produced 610+ to the grd @ 21#s w/good heads.