engine girdle

I think the primary concern is crank walk due to web flexing. With billet mains the web still has to carry all the crank loads. With a girdle some of that load is carried by the skirt of the block. Doesn't make much sense to me to use billet mains with a girdle... you end up machining away most of what you would be gaining.

I did all billet mains and billet girdle. the price was not that bad when you consider how mutch it will cost if something was to fail.The block work only cost me 812.50.That is a price I was willing to pay just to be safe.

I just did the steel caps but absolutely should have installed the girdle. My goal was 500 to 600hp and everything I read and people I talked to when I did the engine build said that the stock crank and rods were good for <600hp but add the billet caps. Speed and power is addictive and you will most likely want to go faster or if you sell your car the new owner may want to go faster. I wish I could have a "do over" so I could add the girdle. Unless you are building a stock engine spend a little money now rather than a lot later. I wish I had. Just my opinion though...

I too am wondering the answer to this question. If you go with a girdle, would it be pointless to do billet mains??? Looks like I may need a rebuild and I would like to be in the 500-600hp range. I was looking at the full throttle speed stroker kit as well and wondered if the girdle would be good enough with stock mains. And on a side note....does anyone know what the difference between RJC's girdle and Full Throttle Speed's girdle besides the huge price difference?

As far as the difference between the girdles besides price is quality. There are many posts about this as I too have asked what the differences are. Some of the posts have been locked due to discussions getting out of hand. Do a search and you will see.
-Andrew

I did all billet mains and billet girdle. the price was not that bad when you consider how mutch it will cost if something was to fail.The block work only cost me 812.50.That is a price I was willing to pay just to be safe.

Who's your machine shop?
How long did it take?
Have you got it running yet?
Sounds reasonable to me.

does anyone know what the difference between RJC's girdle and Full Throttle Speed's girdle besides the huge price difference?

The girdle Full Throttle sells is a CAT girdle. So far the only thing that is conclusive is the hardware. I thought a ARP kit was going to be available soon for the CAT girdle if it already isn't.

Who's your machine shop?
How long did it take?
Have you got it running yet?
Sounds reasonable to me.

B&G in Alvin TX. did all the block work (and also on the heads I have for sale). The work only took 2 weeks. Most of the time was spent on the girdel. No it's not running yet. I'm still waiting on some parts:( and money is running short.

The girdle Full Throttle sells is a CAT girdle. So far the only thing that is conclusive is the hardware. I thought a ARP kit was going to be available soon for the CAT girdle if it already isn't.

The ARP hardware, which we have our own P/N at ARP, costs way too much to be included in a $200 kit. The ARP hardware alone is about $150. This is only one difference between our kit and others.

Hope this helps you.