engine girdle torque specs

vkasm1

I am putting an engine together and wanted to know what to torq the girdle main studs and rail studs to.

thanks
vic

100 on the mains, 25 on the girdle rails. Just what RJC Jason told me recently...

What brand? RJC uses quality ARP studs, and grade-8 pan rail studs. CAT.....not sure what they use. ARP studs S/B torqued to 90ft./lbs WITH ARP lube on the threads and washers. The pan rails nuts torque to 25 ft.lbs. Do you have the proper set-up instructions? If not, be VERY careful on how you set it all up. Do NOT cut corners on the set-up. The machine work is CRITICAL. All the bolts MUST be torqued at full value prior to line hone. There needs to be a .005" gap between girdle and pan rail. Please tell us that you had the machine work finished previously and lost the instructions. Not a job to do with out detailed instructions.

As an edit to the above torque of 100 ft. lbs. IF you torque a fine threaded nut, then you "should" reduce the torque by 10%, especially with a stud and nut. (with ARP lube) BUT if your machine shop torqued the studs to 100 when they line honed the block, then use the 100 ft. lb torque.

the girdle is an rjc thats already been set up.(yes I lost the instructions its been a long time) Im just doing a rebuild and could not remember the torque specs. Thanks for your help

vic