engine decision?

Yup- 109 is the last 3 digits of the block part #.

Now, go buy that engine before it gets away! Theat is EXACTLY what I've been talking about.

What cars did that engine come in?

I'm not sure but GM used them in alot of there non turbo cars after the GN's it's just a 3.8 109 block there is a pad up front that you machine. Sh!t I'm running one and I'm in the 10.04's with 28psi boost. Same exact block as a GN just doesn't have the Oil drain line hole. The best part about the block is I know it has never been abused there was no turbo on it before ;)

Another newb Q, but I know the Gn engines have a different rotating assembly but someone I talked to said these blocks are the same as the non turbo engines, is that true? I figured the GN blocks would have a place for the turbo to get oil from. Thanks alot for all the help. I talked to a guy at TA performance and he said something about a 4.1, any opinions?

This is the oil drain line.

Attachments

• DSC01494.jpg
    DSC01494.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 185
Another newb Q, but I know the Gn engines have a different rotating assembly but someone I talked to said these blocks are the same as the non turbo engines, is that true? I figured the GN blocks would have a place for the turbo to get oil from. Thanks alot for all the help. I talked to a guy at TA performance and he said something about a 4.1, any opinions?

Look all I'm saying is the block is the same but you need to drill & tap for the drain line. I have a steel billet crank, RJC girdle, Scat rods, light weight coated JE pistons, BHJ balancer, TA headers, on a non turbo 3.8 109 block. TH400 etc,etc,etc. I have $$$$ in machine work. It is not cheap to go fast. You can have 10k in a 109 motor easy. Oh and I am a member of "Drive Over The Crankshaft Club" also by taking a 150,000 mile stock motor into the 10.80's :biggrin:

The rotating assembly is turbo-specific; the block is the same. Many have used the non-turbo crank with great success. What you DON'T want to do is just go and get a N/A engine and bolt the turbo bits onto it....

The turbo gets its oil feed from a brass block "T" that is put where the oil pressure sender goes.

The 4.1 engine is a slightly larger displacement engine that folks build- and that's the key. You have to BUILD it- there were no factory 4.1 turbo engines that you could just buy and drop in. Just because it's bigger doesn't mean you automatically make more power- Look at underboost's post about becoming a member of the DOTCC- a STOCK 150k mile engine making well into 550+ hp. Why build a 4.1 when the 3.8 can take that kind of abuse?

You're asking some really good questions, but I fear you're going to end up with "analysis paralysis"- so many opinions that you'll never get the truck built, because you'll be stuck in an endless loop of "what if......."

Take a stock, complete engine- put a few power adders on that stock engine (open air filter, chip, good exhaust, maybe alky) and go have fun. Simple bolt-ons can get you in the 350-400 RWHP range, which should make your S-10 a pretty scary ride.

These engines respond well to minor changes and good tuning (with the emphasis on tuning). It's been proventime and time again that 11s and even 10s are possible with just bolt-ons and tuning- and that's in a 3600+ pound car.

You're asking some really good questions, but I fear you're going to end up with "analysis paralysis"- so many opinions that you'll never get the truck built, because you'll be stuck in an endless loop of "what if......."

Take a stock, complete engine- put a few power adders on that stock engine (open air filter, chip, good exhaust, maybe alky) and go have fun. Simple bolt-ons can get you in the 350-400 RWHP range, which should make your S-10 a pretty scary ride.

Thats one of my big problems, Ive changed my mind about 10 times, Im doing a frame off so im not in a hurry at all. I talked to the guy at TA Performance and he said the 4.1s have the same crank as the turboed 3.8s? But its harder to get parts for the 4.1s. Like you said im only looking to make about 350-400 rwhp, im going to either have my t5 built up or buy a t56. Thanks alot for answering alot of my stupid Qs.

No worries- I think it's very cool that you're building what you want, so there are no stupid questions. I'm not selling anything, so I have no axe to grind, or no specific product to push.

Just don't want to see you go down the same road that many do- hear about this wonderful little V6, throw tons of cash and time at it, just to have it perform no better than a stocker.

another newb Q, but do the 4.1s have the turbo crank? I would like to do some reasearch on buicks, but i havent found any sites the have alot of info.