Electrician Help

y26

I'm looking at buying a 3 family that is about or just over 100yrs old. They have a 100 (amp??) service coming to the house. Home inspecter suggested bringing in another 100 service. Is 100 amp for 3 units to little??? Am i going to have tenants call me about thing always shutting off. It has the old round fuses.

How much am i looking to spend to run another 100 amps from the pole??? Also maybe update the panel.

thanks for your advice.

Im no electrcian but my brother is, In NY I know right off jump street that each box you need is $1500 each and depending on what the codes are if you have to use romex/bx will decide the factor of the rest and yes your tenants will be tripping and the wires will need to be updated fire hazardous

Alan

Dunno where you are, but.... Here in our lil part of NJ, a minimum of 150amp is required..most new places going up have 200 or 250 now...

I live in massachusetts. Yes the new homes going up are over 200 up here to.

If anyone has input please chime in.

I'm thinking of calling a local electrician to possibly do an inspection.

Definitely go bigger than a 100 amp.

Price is going to depend on what all needs to be done.

Your best (cheapest) bet would be to find someone willing to do it on the side...

Yeah, side work is good.

Get an appraisal from a good company for negotiation purposes then try to find a better deal. Or get the current owners to update it first.

100 ampp service

New Single family dwellings are usually 200 amp minimum. Large appliances(water heaters, dryers, hvac heat strips, ovens) can pull from 30-60+ amps. Larger residences, (3000+ sq/ ft.) often require 2- 200 amp services to supply demand and future room for growth. Each bedroom should demand at least a 20 amp single pole breaker for lights and receptacles.(More often it requires 2- one for lights and one or more for receptacles) Kitchens require at least 2 maybe 3 -20 amp circuts. If you have to pay for another service entrance, I would pay for a new 200 amp service.

This is in GA, so local codes are probably even more strict up there.

HTH, Matt