Electrical Fire in Engine Bay - Need Advise Please!

turbov6vette

My '85 T Type had an electrical fire in the engine bay a couple days ago. The car was parked and not running when the fire occured. It appears there must have been a major short somewhere which caused the engine wiring and the battery to catch fire. Bummer - I just bought the car less than 2 months ago w/ 101K on it and it was running awesome - no problems at all.

I believe the insurance company is going to total the car, although the fire damage was contained within the engine bay on the passenger side and primarily within the wiring and the battery on that side. The engine and most accessories do not appear to be damaged.

The advise I need relates to assessing the value of the car. The appraiser from Liberty Mutual is supposed to be coming out tomorrow to take a look at the car. I've spoken with the claims agent a few times already and wanted to make sure that she understood that the car is not a run-of-the-mill 101K mile 1985 Buick Regal, but rather a limited production and collectible 1985 Buick Regal T Type. Obviously, I want to make sure that the groundwork is laid properly for a fair and equitable settlement on the car.

From what I understand, they obtain a pre-incident value of the vehicle through Audatex / Autosource, a company that specializes in determining vehicle valuations. Anyone out there familiar with this company and how they do their valuations? Are there any other sources of vehicle valuation information out there that are geared towards specialty interest cars like our Turbo Buicks, perhaps?

Any advise, guidance or commentary on this matter would be most appreciated. I'd rather part the car out to TB'ers for a couple grand than accept an under-valued, lowball settlement based on a vague and unrealistic valuation assessment. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Well, I'm an insurance agent in Florida. I'm sure it's the same in the state you're in. Since you have a standard auto policy, they are going to give you actual cash value. Which basically means low book value or trade in value in the NADA. I have a stated value policy through Grundy's and I have my car insured for a certain value. So, if anything happens too it, I get the amount I stated in my policy. On your car, if you have receipts for upgrades you might be able to recouping some of that as well. They will also base some of the value on what condtion you car is in. If it's in perfect conditon, they might also give you more then too. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. Any ballpark idea of a NADA value for an 1985 T Type previously in good condition overall with 101,000 miles? A rough guesstimate would be appreciated, if possible. Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback. Any ballpark idea of a NADA value for an 1985 T Type previously in good condition overall with 101,000 miles? A rough guesstimate would be appreciated, if possible. Thanks.

Well, knowing how insurance companies work.... I'd have to guess between $2500-$3000. I might can give you a better idea when I get to my office tomorrow.

Thanks - I really appreciate the guesstimate. I'm just trying get an idea of realistic settlement value.

Even if they total it, keep possession of it, and replace the wire harness and whatever else has been damaged. The engine harness is still available...

The paperwork that the insurance company has sent me indicates that, if they determine that the car is totalled, that I would need to sign over the title to the car and that they will take possession of it as part of the settlement. It sounds like I don't have an option to keep the car - or do I?

had my harness go up too

Had a short at the starter and my harness went up too. Lucky for me i caught it and it didn't do much damage except for the hood pad and wiring harness.
My insurance(Hartford) took care of it. I had to pay my deductable and got it fixed, picked up a harness from caspers great quailty plug and go! Hope you have an A rated insurance co..... they should fix it good luck

The fire happened about 10PM with the car parked in the driveway and me in the house. Didn't know anything was happening until the right front tire caught fire from the battery and wiring meltdown and exploded. The tire explosion let me know that something bad was happening outside. Spontaneous Turbo Buick Combustion! Bummer... :frown:

Wow, with the fire taking Dennis Hogans THREE TR's and now yours maybe we all need to start looking for areas that may cause this. Where to look????

I would tell them that you put $2000 worth of stereo equipment and upgrades in it, and you would like to have it back...they'll give you the car. The insurance company doesn't want to have to dispose of it, and you'll save them towing and costs related to it.

Yep..

The paperwork that the insurance company has sent me indicates that, if they determine that the car is totalled, that I would need to sign over the title to the car and that they will take possession of it as part of the settlement. It sounds like I don't have an option to keep the car - or do I?

I think that in some states, you can't buy it back. I'd do this:
Get the ins co $$ payoff, find out if they are going the "totalled" route. If so, tell them "no thanks", and fix it yourself. If the damage is limited to a batt, and under hood wires only, a fix shouldn't be difficult to pull off.

I hate to say this, but with the tire catching fire there may be quite a bit of damage to the car. Without a picture I would guess that the right front fender, wheel housing and hood need to be replaced. Possibly the radiator support.

Then what ever suspension components on the right front have heat damage to them. If the fire was bad enough it may also have affected the frame. Which would require the frame be replaced.

Can you post a picture or two of the damaged area?

RemoveBeforeFlight

lol...just noticed that they deduct 10% for your t-type being a 6 cyl...wtf is that about

There's a pre-assumption that a 6 cylinder car will always be worth less than a V8 car. Either their ignorant to the fact of what a turbo 6 is capable of doing or it's because the masses prefer a V8 over a V6, reguardless if the 6 is turboed or not.

Thanks to everyone for all your feedback. Great info. The claims adjuster came by today and told me that the car is totalled. Turns out he's a fellow parishoner at my church and was quite helpful. He did indicate that I would probably be able to buy the car back for minimal cost, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

I'll post some pics up this weekend. I still can't get the hood open, but you'll get the idea.