EGR block off plates...

Wahoo

http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1646&osCsid=62b85cc53560d8277db85644934a3bf7

http://rjcracing.com/product/buick-grand-national-egr-block-off-plate/

Found these two, I'd still need to buy a gasket?

Should I just buy a gasket from my local parts store or should I buy one of the venders copper gaskets?

Seems like the block off plate is only held on with one bolt, is that gonna be enough to prevent leaks?

Anything else I need to buy to block off other ports ?

My car is a 85 the egr port is the same design 84-87? Or do I need to make sure I get an '85 block off plate?

The block off plate is usually used in conjunction with an intake that has the egr delete or a power plate that blocks from the between the lower intake and hat. It can be used by itself and the one bolt is sufficient to seal.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

The block off plate is usually used in conjunction with an intake that has the egr delete or a power plate that blocks from the between the lower intake and hat. It can be used by itself and the one bolt is sufficient to seal.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

I have a vacuum leak due to the egr so I want to remove it and use the block off plate. Was he kidding about the cereal box?

probably not. I've made many a gasket out of a Miller Lite box when I can't find my gasket roll.

From what I've read, the trick with sealing that plate is to squish the stock EGR bracket and use it to hold the plate down higher than the stud and nut.

probably not. I've made many a gasket out of a Miller Lite box when I can't find my gasket roll.

From what I've read, the trick with sealing that plate is to squish the stock EGR bracket and use it to hold the plate down higher than the stud and nut.

I'm not sure what you mean, do you have a picture of what people have done?

I did research but I feel like people don't show what they did or tell everything that was needed to be done.

Just just take a thick cardbord box and cut a gasket out of it. Spent bullets make great hole punches.

For an EGR you probably want something with a little more heat resistance.

I would like to eliminate my egr also....do you cap off the vac line that goes to it.. And if so, other than the block off plate , would that be it?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Tough seal, try kwik weld steel (after proper prep) in the egr base then set and use good gasket with bolt down! The leaks appear at the top of the bypass plate so be sure to triple check that area!!
Plenty of ideas in the egr area of this great forum.
Good Luck

I made my own block off plate, then used the one bolt and black rtv to seal. No leaks.

I made my own block off plate, then used the one bolt and black rtv to seal. No leaks.

Isn't there a port besides the vacuum line that needs to be blocked off? Part of the exhaust or something?

I used the RJC plate with a small amount of high temp RVT around the hole in the intake only (no gasket) with no problems.

http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_i...=1396&osCsid=62b85cc53560d8277db85644934a3bf7

This is the one you need for a 84/85 the plate blocks the exhaust port the threaded plug closes the rear of the intake just below the turbo on the drivers side when you remove the hard tube.
you can make your own plate by bolting a plate to the egr valve and making it the same shape. the plug for the back of the intake is an inverted flare and can be purchased at your local hose supply. take the hard tube to supply for proper sizing

http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_i...=1396&osCsid=62b85cc53560d8277db85644934a3bf7

This is the one you need for a 84/85 the plate blocks the exhaust port the threaded plug closes the rear of the intake just below the turbo on the drivers side when you remove the hard tube.
you can make your own plate by bolting a plate to the egr valve and making it the same shape. the plug for the back of the intake is an inverted flare and can be purchased at your local hose supply. take the hard tube to supply for proper sizing

Oh that's very helpful, now I see where the screw in plug goes to block the back of the intake!

I did this 5 years ago at BG, works excellent...dont look very good but seals perfect.

Bryan

Mine started leaking after about 3 trips to the track. I pulled it off tonight and stuck the EGR back on. I may try that EGR clamp trick tomorrow.

I skipped right over running an EGR plate and went straight to this.....
IM002558.jpgIM002562.jpgIM002563.jpg

It's foolproof when it's done but not exactly for the faint of heart.