Edd China

1quick6

Shadetree Mechanic
Is there anything that this guy can't do? For those of you who don't know who I am talking about, google "Wheeler Dealers" or watch some episodes on Youtube. It's a British show where two guys buy somewhat iconic cars from the 70's-90's and fix them up on a budget. I really enjoy this show because they fix basic things on a budget and they aren't making supercar modifications to them. Edd does all of the work he can possibly do, but he knows his limitations and farms out work as needed.

They are coming to the US on Discovery Channel so I am really hoping that they pick up a Turbo Regal since they really like the 80's cars. I'd like to see how Edd handles that since he seems to know a heck of a lot about the cars they are trying to turn around.

Great show! I watch it all the time. It's only on discovery HD theater where I'm at. They seem to pick odd cars but it's a fun show, also, how much is a quid? I'm never sure how much they actually pay for any of the cars they fix up.

All repeats lately. Great Show. Ed rocks. Mike is kind of a PITA giving Ed some crappy cars once in a while... My favorite is how excited he gets.... And how he gets cheeky when the car is a crackin' little motor:p

On comcast that show is on a lot on the "HD theatre" channel, along with "what's my car worth", and "chasing classic cars."

Yeah, quid is slang for pound, kind of like we say buck for a dollar. :)

It's funny listening to the different terminology. Some of my favorites:

hood = bonnet
soap = washing up liquid
fixed = sorted
chrome = shiny bits
repaint = respray
aluminum = alim-unium (they just say it weird)
wrench = spanner

Yeah, quid is slang for pound, kind of like we say buck for a dollar. :)

It's funny listening to the different terminology. Some of my favorites:

hood = bonnet
soap = washing up liquid
fixed = sorted
chrome = shiny bits
repaint = respray
aluminum = alim-unium (they just say it weird)
wrench = spanner

That's one of my favorite aspects of the show. Another one they use is "bush" for bushings. I wish I had an Ed at my disposal to help me install my downpipe and exhaust!! :smile:

I remembered a few more:

instrument cluster = binnacle
muffler = silencer box
interior door panels = door cards
trunk = boot
fender = wing
windshield = windscreen

My favorite (or is it favourite:) part is the tall Edd getting into a tiny MG. That guy is all arms and legs...

Oh yeah, I forgot those. :)

I also forgot "perished" as in worn out. "These bushes are quite perished"

Anyone see the new episode with the 57 Bel-Air? Mike goes to a dealership to look at the car and right next to it is an 87 Turbo Buick and a GNX at that. He walks up to it and says "An 80's Buick" and walks on past. He has no idea what it is. haha so much for car enthusiast but i guess he is english so I'll give him a pass but I was disheartened to hear him talk about my love like it was just another cutlass or something.

Edd would have known what a GN was and I am sure he would have loved to work on one. I really wanted them to find a TR to bring back across the pond, but I am sure Mike just wasn't in tune with what he had on the lot. Certainly understandable. It would have been really interesting to hear Edd's interpretation of what needs to be done to restore a TR since we are all so familiar with them. I know a lot more about a TR than a Frog Eyed Sprite.

I have to say that no matter what car they are working on, I learn something from Edd each time. You have to admire guys that can do so many different things well. Crack on.

are you guys serious? dude hacks crap together in pretty much every episode i've ever seen. :eek:

are you guys serious? dude hacks crap together in pretty much every episode i've ever seen. :eek:

I started wathcing this show on the BBC a few years ago when I was living in Europe and some of the stuff they did in the earlier epidodes was real hacked. The new episodes are far better than the old but that's not saying much. It's a decent shadetree show though. Not everyone can build $100K cars in 7 days.